Can this be considered a jazz waltz/ballad?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I did an arrangement of Romanze für Tenorhorn in highschool, so my highschool big band could potentially feature me on it. We ended up playing something else, but my question is can this piece be considered a jazz waltz/ballad even though there are not many “jazzy” elements. I was thinking of bringing it in for my college big band can read it. Here is a link to the original video featuring a German band I originally got the inspiration from: https://youtu.be/A-YpBWJnhgI
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I would say that's exactly what it is already.  Go for it.

It reminds me of the Henry Mancini song "Too Little Time" from the Glenn Miller Story, that I used to play in the Airmen of Note, except Too Little Time isn't a waltz - but it could be done as a waltz.
ttf_Arranger-Transcriber

Post by ttf_Arranger-Transcriber »

Thanks, Doug, for reminding me of the Airmen of Note's very nice recording of "Too Little Time" on their album, The Glenn Miller Tradition.  I actually have that chart. I'll have to dig it out for my band's next rehearsal.
ttf_Arranger-Transcriber

Post by ttf_Arranger-Transcriber »

Thanks, Doug, for reminding me of the Airmen of Note's very nice recording of "Too Little Time" on their album, The Glenn Miller Tradition.  I actually have that chart. I'll have to dig it out for my band's next rehearsal.

Return to “Composition, Arranging, and Theory”