New Big Band compostion

ttf_robbo

New Big Band compostion

Post by ttf_robbo »

Here's a little tune I put together over the last couple of weeks. It's aimed at a medium school level (which has been a bit of a challenge for me!). It's also loosely based on an old dixieland tune that some may recognise.

As Davdud101 can sympathise with, the recording has relied on very limited resources.

I used live drums, 1 sax player (plus a couple of midi notes in the bari sax), 1 trumpet player (playing 4 tpt parts, and 2 bone parts on flug), and a bone player on parts 1&4.

Any piano notes were extracted from sibelius, and the bass line was very painful! I entered the various sections chord changes into i real book, and then played the progression back through my recording interface. Mostly did ok except where I needed exact notes played at the beginning and end mostly. Would've been nice having the 2 feel as intended in the sax/tpt section, but you get what you pay for!

And..... I was the sound engineer so please excuse the recording. It's really for demo purposes so I think it's ok for that. The more I listen to it however I think I should get back in and tweak the eq's a bit.

Hope it's ok for a few mins entertainment.

http://pigletmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Dang.mp3

Rob
http://pigletmusic.com
ttf_gregs70

New Big Band compostion

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

I like it!
ttf_robbo

New Big Band compostion

Post by ttf_robbo »

ttf_davdud101

New Big Band compostion

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Sounds AWESOME, Rob!!!  Image
The arrangement is great (definitely the type of thing I need to be aiming for this coming year). The recording is actually surprisingly nice quality in my opinion, listening on cheap-ish 3in studio monitors - and excellent playing to boot.
Definitely had me saying "dang" all throughout!
ttf_robbo

New Big Band compostion

Post by ttf_robbo »

Thanks davdud. Nice having other arrangers/composers bouncing off. In meantime I'm a few weeks out of the music world on a road trip with young famuly in a motor home. No computer games and theyve been reading, drawing, playing games and talking!
And speaking of talking points, I'm by the ocean sipping on a speyside whisky (Macallan 12 yo). Other whisky lovers??
ttf_bonenick

New Big Band compostion

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Nice...Though it would have been nice to put some really instrument specific lick on tbones and trumpets.
ttf_bonenick

New Big Band compostion

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Nice...Though it would have been nice to put some really instrument specific lick on tbones and trumpets.

Return to “Composition, Arranging, and Theory”