New Composition Guidelines - Reference Request

ttf_Bjroosevelt

Post by ttf_Bjroosevelt »

Hello,

I have a friend who has spent a lot of time composing for college bands, but finds himself in position of offering to compose for a relatively beginning ensemble.  He asked me if I knew of any books that would provide guidelines on composing for relative beginners.  (Middle School through High School).  He wants to make sure that whatever he composes is consistent with the learnings to date for the students, and not too advanced.  Composition is for Ensemble work, not trombone specific.

Referrals to specific books would be appreciated. 

Thank you
BR
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I don't know of any books on Composition for beginning bands, I would suggest contacting a few local grade school band directors and finding out what method books they typically use for children in that age group.  Review the method books to see what concepts they are teaching, what range the various instruments are typically playing within, etc. 
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I don't know of any books on Composition for beginning bands, I would suggest contacting a few local grade school band directors and finding out what method books they typically use for children in that age group.  Review the method books to see what concepts they are teaching, what range the various instruments are typically playing within, etc. 

Return to “Composition, Arranging, and Theory”