Listen to on of my first arrangements

ttf_cozzagiorgi

Post by ttf_cozzagiorgi »

Hi

I created a brass quintet arrangement on "Black or White". How do you find it?
I am a rank beginner at this, so any tips are welcome.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/un3QL-BhmNk

https://youtu.be/un3QL-BhmNk

ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

That's pretty cool, I like it.  It feels a little bit rushed, and it's faster than the original.  It would probably be a lot easier to play and sound better with the tempo backed off a little.  The tuba part needs definition and I think some of that would be lost trying to play it too fast.
ttf_BassCase

Post by ttf_BassCase »

I agree with Doug about the tempo.  But I'd love to get my chops on that bottom line.  Kudos and keep it up! 
ttf_cozzagiorgi

Post by ttf_cozzagiorgi »

Thanks for the kind words!
Would that be an arrangement you would buy for your brass quintet? If not, what makes it a no?

What are you guys specifically looking for in a brass quintet arrangement?
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

I think it's pretty cool too, but agreed on the tempo.  I think my brass quintet would like it.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

I like it, and I think my quintet would too. I just checked out the Michael Jackson version and agree, yours is a little faster tempo.  That said, nice change of pace from the traditional quintet music.  Any chance you could get it played by a quintet so we could hear it live?
ttf_Sharp62193

Post by ttf_Sharp62193 »

I think there's definitely some potential here. I'll concur with everyone and say be careful about the tempo.

One thing you need to take into consideration when you are composing and arranging is that you can't really depend on the playback software to demonstrate how playable something might be. These programs have come a long way since they first came out, however, they are still grossly inaccurate compared to the real thing. Live brass players (especially tuba players) would have difficulty playing fast passages with leaping intervals. It can be done by a good player, but not by anybody.

So I guess what I'm saying is take into account the group you are writing for. If you have the players that can play what you're writing, then great. If not, then you may want to rethink some things. If you don't have a group to write for, then find one. That was the most helpful thing for me when I first started writing. There is nothing more educational than having a live ensemble to treat as a guinea pig, especially if the players in that ensemble are well-trained on their instrument.

Keep it up!
ttf_Sharp62193

Post by ttf_Sharp62193 »

I think there's definitely some potential here. I'll concur with everyone and say be careful about the tempo.

One thing you need to take into consideration when you are composing and arranging is that you can't really depend on the playback software to demonstrate how playable something might be. These programs have come a long way since they first came out, however, they are still grossly inaccurate compared to the real thing. Live brass players (especially tuba players) would have difficulty playing fast passages with leaping intervals. It can be done by a good player, but not by anybody.

So I guess what I'm saying is take into account the group you are writing for. If you have the players that can play what you're writing, then great. If not, then you may want to rethink some things. If you don't have a group to write for, then find one. That was the most helpful thing for me when I first started writing. There is nothing more educational than having a live ensemble to treat as a guinea pig, especially if the players in that ensemble are well-trained on their instrument.

Keep it up!

Return to “Composition, Arranging, and Theory”