"New" recording

ttf_davdud101

"New" recording

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Hey trombrethren,
Yesterday I posted a remake of a piece I made back in 2015 before going to Europe. Initially, the tune was meant to sort of be a humorous tune that played heavily off of those old Japanese animated cartoon themes (like Pokemon and especially Dragon Ball Z, where they used a lot of horns mixed with rock music).

The tune is at the link below. Let me know how you feel about the mix and the arrangement. The older version is at the bottom.

https://soundcloud.com/davdud101/defenders-of-totem-2017-2

The live horns here are three trumpets, three flugels, two small bore tenors and a large bore acting as a bass. I also added in a synth-tuba and synth-bass to fill out the bottom end with the contrabasses.

Let me know what you guys think of the arrangement, performance, and mix! Today I took the first link down and reposted a version where I actually basically redid the whole mix from scratch and added several guitar parts. That's where that real drive was missing before!

https://soundcloud.com/davdud101/defenders-of-totem

ttf_davdud101

"New" recording

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

anyone? Tips and comments appreciated!
ttf_Sliphorn

"New" recording

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: davdud101 on Apr 18, 2017, 08:17AManyone? Tips and comments appreciated!
I like the harmonic variety.  Simple, but occasional diminished, 7b9, minor 6, etc.  The MIDI could be better, but that's just MIDI.  Why not overdub lots of your own playing to fill in some of the ugly MIDI?
ttf_watermailonman

"New" recording

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Hello

I'm thinking of early video-game-music when I hear this  Image My daughter has played a lot of this, so I've heard a lot. You still make it sound fun and fresh and the guitar solo is effective. I also like the break, when only the brass plays, and the pause near the end. An example where a pause really create tension. Absence builds power. I also wonder how you recorded all this? It sounds like midi-sounds but still articulation sound like brass instruments and the guitar sounds genuine, so I presume you played the guitar too. I liked the piece and the arrangement. Good!  Image

/Tom
ttf_watermailonman

"New" recording

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Hello

I'm thinking of early video-game-music when I hear this  Image My daughter has played a lot of this, so I've heard a lot. You still make it sound fun and fresh and the guitar solo is effective. I also like the break, when only the brass plays, and the pause near the end. An example where a pause really create tension. Absence builds power. I also wonder how you recorded all this? It sounds like midi-sounds but still articulation sound like brass instruments and the guitar sounds genuine, so I presume you played the guitar too. I liked the piece and the arrangement. Good!  Image

/Tom

Return to “Composition, Arranging, and Theory”