Considering Universities for Trombone Performance (+doubles?)

ttf_Krazzikk

Post by ttf_Krazzikk »

'Bigbassbone1' posted a similar thread a couple months ago asking about low-cost music study in America a few months ago and I wanted to ask for similar advice perhaps tailored more towards me. I'm a junior in high school in South Florida and I'm starting to seriously consider where I would like to go for my post-secondary studies. I would love to go to these schools like Eastman School of Music(University of Rochester), Berklee, DePaul, but they are all very expensive even if I was admitted. My family is relatively pretty low income, although I take my music and academic studies very seriously.
     So far I think my first choice would be DePaul, as from what I have gathered they have a great trombone studio and staff, and I know Mr. Thomas Matta here on the forum also teaches jazz studies there. And I love the idea of studying music in Chicago of all places in general.
     I'm looking for help finding a great university that I can get a good amount of financial aid. I may need most if not all of the tuition paid for with financial aid/scholarships, etc. without having to take out student loans which I really don't want to do. I'm thinking I will probably end up doing my undergraduate studies at the community college here (IRSC) as they offer full scholarships all the time and it is nearby, however, I'm especially looking for recommendations and help with a university for graduate studies. I don't mind moving out of my area and actually prefer it.
     It is also worth mentioning I'm not sure exactly what career I would like in the future, I like wind ensemble playing and jazz combo/big band stuff but that's all I've known. I've never played in an orchestra but I think it would be a ton of fun and I've also considered a career in freelancing, I'm just not sure yet. I also have a strong interest in bass trombone, and bass guitar (and I suppose euphonium if I am called to it), and would love to study both instruments as doubles.

Thank you, as I anticipate your replies. Image
ttf_Robbymeese

Post by ttf_Robbymeese »

UNorth Carolina-Chapel Hill has a great music department with a strong performance program, great trombone professor (Mike Kris), and a very strong liberal arts environment. From what I've heard, managing a music major with another major, doing only music, or doing music on the side are all fulfilling.

I'd also recommend Vanderbilt which has Jeremy Wilson, a top-notch liberal arts environment, and Nashville. Additionally, Nashville gives you all the need-based financial aid that you need if you get in.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You'll get a lot more call to play bass guitar than bass trombone.

Having said that, I know an awful lot of musicians with day jobs.  Only the best of the best (or the lucky) can make a go of it full time.  Have you asked your teacher for a serious evaluation of your capability?  Does he/she think you have it to be a full time pro?

Btw, there are a couple of universities in the Tampa and Orlando area that may give you better financial aid.  Check with Dan Satterwhite, who teaches at one of them.

Going pro is a tough row to hoe.  It's much harder today than when I was a kid.  But there are ways to make it happen.  We have a lot of folks on this Board who are doing it.

On a side note, I hope you didn't suffer too much damage from the hurricane.
ttf_trb420

Post by ttf_trb420 »

I think the most important thing for you to do is to approach your practicing like you're going to be a music major - practice more, and practice better. If you want to go to college for cheap, you should make yourself the best trombonist you can be - make the colleges want you to the point that they'll pay you to go there. I know that Eastman, for example, gives every student some amount of financial aid - if you're interested in that school and you impress them, and the fact that you're low income, you could theoretically go there for much less than the pretty exorbitant $70k a year tuition
ttf_Krazzikk

Post by ttf_Krazzikk »

Quote from: BGuttman on Sep 14, 2017, 12:47PMYou'll get a lot more call to play bass guitar than bass trombone.

Having said that, I know an awful lot of musicians with day jobs.  Only the best of the best (or the lucky) can make a go of it full time.  Have you asked your teacher for a serious evaluation of your capability?  Does he/she think you have it to be a full time pro?

Btw, there are a couple of universities in the Tampa and Orlando area that may give you better financial aid.  Check with Dan Satterwhite, who teaches at one of them.

Going pro is a tough row to hoe.  It's much harder today than when I was a kid.  But there are ways to make it happen.  We have a lot of folks on this Board who are doing it.

On a side note, I hope you didn't suffer too much damage from the hurricane.
Oops, I meant my main instrument is tenor trombone but I also would like to study bass trombone and bass guitar. I have told my band director I planned on majoring in music but have no directly asked him if he thought I had potential in a career, although he has told me before that he believes the only thing holding me back at the point I am at is me. So it sounds like he believes in my potential if I invest the time in it, but I will definitely ask him directly as soon as I can because that is a good question to ask.

I am first chair in the top concert band at the school as well as first chair lead trombone in the Jazz Ensemble (a traditional big band). Starting this year I will also be in one of the two jazz combo's he is setting up for the first time this year with the lead players from each section.

More and more I am trying to treat myself as a professional musician and have even started treating my practice hours as a job with a set time and agenda, however, I am striving each day to practice better to become a better trombonist. So I would definetly be interested in that topic as well but that is perhaps off-topic maybe.

Also, my neighborhood was spared with no flooding to speak of (the swales in front were dry!), and practically no wind damage. Power was only out 26 hours but I was able to get some quality practice time in with a book light haha.

Quote from: Robbymeese on Sep 14, 2017, 12:39PMUNorth Carolina-Chapel Hill has a great music department with a strong performance program, great trombone professor (Mike Kris), and a very strong liberal arts environment. From what I've heard, managing a music major with another major, doing only music, or doing music on the side are all fulfilling.

I'd also recommend Vanderbilt which has Jeremy Wilson, a top-notch liberal arts environment, and Nashville. Additionally, Nashville gives you all the need-based financial aid that you need if you get in.
I'm glad you mentioned Nashvile and North Carolina Universities because I forgot to mention that although I am currently finishing highschool in South Florida with my dad, my mother and stepfather have a house in far East Tennesse so those are both relatively close-to-home options. Thank you.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Apply to your dream schools as well as those that are less costly.  You never know what they might offer you.  If you do wind up and Eastman drop me a line, I like to attend student recitals. 

ttf_JasonDonnelly

Post by ttf_JasonDonnelly »

Being another Florida resident, I think I may be of some help.

University of North Florida (UNF) and Frost School of Music (UMiami) both have fantastic jazz programs. They also both have great professors for jazz trombone and jazz bass. University of Central Florida (UCF) also has a good jazz program, but they've had some internal issues lately, and I don't know who their trombone prof will be long term.

I don't know anyone personally who studies multiple instruments "officially" (that is, having both of them show up on your degree), but I myself am a euphonium major who plays bass trombone in a jazz ensemble.

If you show up to your audition and can really cut it on trombone and bass, then they'll let you study both. Try out for whatever schools you think you would enjoy studying at. Try to meet professors and talk to current/former students of their's. Visiting schools also helps, as does having a live audition. Professors will be MUCH more eager to accept kids who actually show as opposed to those who send in a video.

And as far as studying both tenor and bass trombone goes, I know that tenor bone majors have played in ensembles on bass bone and vice versa, so that shouldn't be an issue.
ttf_Peter Eiden

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

Playing the residency card at State schools will usually significantly reduce the cost of attending compared to going out of state or private, and most state systems have terrific education opportunities and pretty generous financial aid.

My son attended a Virginia state school, we live in NY.  In state tuition was about 1/3 of out of state, other costs (room/board) were about the same, so all in, as a VA resident it would have cost about 1/2 of what it cost a NY resident.

That said, be careful to look at the school's residency requirements to make sure you qualify (depending on how much time you spend in Tennessee versus Florida, etc.)  States are getting more and more careful about who they count as resident.

Exciting time -- good luck to you!

ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

I got some great advice on low cost schools through pm's in the thread I started.

The advice I got was basically that there are opportunities for free education or large financial aid at quite a lot of schools across America. The only issue I found was that a lot of those Institutions have quite specific requirements you need to meet to be eligible for financial aid. The main tricky bit was that you just have to apply for everything, ask for help, cross your fingers and hope something works out.

The only schools I found that seem to offer free tuition to all who are accepted regardless of your circumstances are Colburn (where I am currently studying), Curtis and Rice. In the end, I only ended up applying for Colburn because on top of tuition they also cover your accommodation and food costs. Even if I had been accepted to another institution, with limited working allowance as a foreigner on a student visa, it would not really have been possible to pay for several years worth of rent and food even with free tuition not being allowed to work more than 20 something hours a week.

Definitely check out Colburn, Curtis and Rice if your main concern is keeping costs at a minimum for high quality music education.
ttf_Etshinn

Post by ttf_Etshinn »

Hi,

I am the trombone instructor at the University of Florida and would be happy to answer specific questions about the program.  You can send them to [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

Are you aware of the Bright Futures scholarship program in Florida?  Based on your test scores SAT/ACT you may qualify for a fairly significant scholarship from the state.  The award amounts were upped this year and my students in the upper tier are receiving their full tuition and fees covered by the program.  Check with your high school guidance counselor for more information about this.

At the University of Florida we have two significant scholarship pools "Friends of Music" and "Band Scholarship" that are awarded to trombonists based on their audition.  Many of my students have a combination of these awards, Bright Futures, and additional scholarship money from either their high school or another area within UF.  At less than $6,500/yr for Tuition+Fees it is a great education for the value.

If you are interested in Jazz, I encourage you to check out the UF jazz website (http://www.ufjazz.com).  Our jazz program regularly performs with fantastic guest artists including Wycliffe Gordon and Kevin Hicks on trombone.  While not officially on faculty, Dr. Andrew Hamilton (https://www.andrewhamiltonmusic.com/-about) regularly works with the UF jazz trombones.
ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

You've gotten plenty of good advice here.  Apply to the schools you most want to attend and see if they and you get the finances to work.  Also apply to schools that are safe both in terms of admissions and finances.  I expect you will want to have Florida State Schools in the mix. 

Keep in mind that applying to music programs is a lot more work than applying to other colleges.  Getting the audition schedule to work is a challenge, and schools have different audition requirements.  You probably have classmates who will be applying to ten or more colleges.  As a prospective music student, you really can't do this.  Between now and then try to visit schools and meet trombone professors.
ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

You've gotten plenty of good advice here.  Apply to the schools you most want to attend and see if they and you get the finances to work.  Also apply to schools that are safe both in terms of admissions and finances.  I expect you will want to have Florida State Schools in the mix. 

Keep in mind that applying to music programs is a lot more work than applying to other colleges.  Getting the audition schedule to work is a challenge, and schools have different audition requirements.  You probably have classmates who will be applying to ten or more colleges.  As a prospective music student, you really can't do this.  Between now and then try to visit schools and meet trombone professors.

Return to “Schools, Colleges, and Conservatories”