Schubert recordings

ttf_Andrew Meronek

Schubert recordings

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

Who has a nice list of their favorite recordings of Franz Schubert's music? Not just the pieces themselves, but particular performers from particular labels (where the production is superior)  Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Schubert recordings

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Lindberg played the arpeggione sonata as if it were written for trombone. Beautiful.

I believe it's on the Criminal album.
ttf_kbiggs

Schubert recordings

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

Some of my favs

Overtures and Symphonies, esp. 5, 8 and 9
Roger Norrington and the London Classical Players
Herbert Blomstedt and the San Francisco Sympony

Symphony 9
John Eliot Gardiner and Wiener Philharmoniker

Lieder: Schwanengesang, Göthe-Lieder, Die Schöne Müllerin, Winterreisse
Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau--look no further

I know Thomas Hampson has some recordings of Schubert as well; I don't own any. I like his singing, so I believe any recordings he has of Schubert lieder would probably be excellent

Other excellent artists (baritones):
Matthias Goerne
Bo Skovhus
Thomas Quasthoff

Another trombone interpretation of Schubert's music:
David Taylor's version of Der Erlkönig. Find it on youtube.
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Schubert recordings

Quote from: kbiggs on Aug 14, 2017, 07:18AMSymphony 9
John Eliot Gardiner and Wiener Philharmoniker

Oh yeah - I would suppose that anything from Wiener Phil would be top-notch.  Image
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Schubert recordings

All right, so I found in my collection a recording of the string quartet No. 14 entitled "Death And The Maiden", and the performance credit is in super-tiny print, apparently the Caspar da Salo Quartett (no actual peoples' names), below the track listing; whereas FRANZ SCHUBERT is in big print in several places. It's a pretty good performance - I just find it kind of weird that the actual people who recorded the music get visually thrust almost out of the picture. I guess people buy Schubert music, not Caspar da Salo Quartett music.  Image

I like the recording, but am not a fan of the album presentation.
ttf_BGuttman

Schubert recordings

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If it was a "famous" quartet like the Budapest or the Bordin, they'd be much more conspicuous.

People shopping for budget CD's go for the composer and piece and not the performers (not to say the performers may be VERY good).
ttf_robcat2075

Schubert recordings

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Andrew Meronek on Yesterday at 04:15 PMI like the recording, but am not a fan of the album presentation.

A budget label maybe?

I can't find any listing of the players and from peering at images of their CD covers they seem to have been active about 30 years ago. I'm going to guess they weren't famous or even an established ensemble; maybe a kind of pickup-group with a name slapped on them. 

"Gaspar de Salo" was an early violin maker so it's unlikely he's a member.
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Schubert recordings

Quote from: robcat2075 on Yesterday at 05:05 PMA budget label maybe?

I can't find any listing of the players and from peering at images of their CD covers they seem to have been active about 30 years ago. I'm going to guess they weren't famous or even an established ensemble; maybe a kind of pickup-group with a name slapped on them. 

"Gaspar de Salo" was an early violin maker so it's unlikely he's a member.

Probably was a budget label. I bought it decades ago - I have no idea where I picked it up.
ttf_mr.deacon

Schubert recordings

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

I absolutely love Schubert's 2nd Piano Trio in Eb!

Particularly the second movement which you can hear in the Stanley Kubrick film Barry Lyndon! Image
ttf_Posaunus

Schubert recordings

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: kbiggs on Aug 14, 2017, 07:18AMLieder: Schwanengesang, Göthe-Lieder, Die Schöne Müllerin, Winterreisse
Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau--look no further

Hard to beat Fischer-Dieskau singing Schubert!
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Schubert recordings

Quote from: mr.deacon on Sep 08, 2017, 09:53PMI absolutely love Schubert's 2nd Piano Trio in Eb!

Particularly the second movement which you can hear in the Stanley Kubrick film Barry Lyndon! Image

Yup, that's a good one.

Having procured my copy of the Vienna Philharmonic (Wiener Philharmoniker) recordings of Schubert's symphonies, yeah, they're as good as their reputation. Love how aggressive they get with phrasing, articulations and in general. Nice to see this stuff interpreted with actual passion and risk-taking.  Image

The recordings in the album I got have been around a while now - from 1964/70/72.
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Schubert recordings

Quote from: mr.deacon on Sep 08, 2017, 09:53PMI absolutely love Schubert's 2nd Piano Trio in Eb!

Yup, that's a good one.

Having procured my copy of the Vienna Philharmonic (Wiener Philharmoniker) recordings of Schubert's symphonies, yeah, they're as good as their reputation. Love how aggressive they get with phrasing, articulations and in general. Nice to see this stuff interpreted with actual passion and risk-taking.  Image

The recordings in the album I got have been around a while now - from 1964/70/72.

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”