Question: Rare George Roberts recordings

ttf_yeodoug

Post by ttf_yeodoug »

Hello all,

While doing research for one of my books, I recently acquired a 45 RPM record that features solos by George Roberts. I'm turning to TTF to see if anyone has particular knowledge about these recordings of which I have not been previously aware. Perhaps this well known and I've just missed it. But I find this to be of great interest.

See the photos of the A and B sides of the record, below. It is a promotional record and I have not seen these two tracks appear on any other known solo recording by George Roberts. Nor are they listed in the Roberts discography in David J. Krosschell's DMA document, "Meet Mr. Roberts: George Roberts' Influence on the Modern Bass Trombonist" (Northwestern University, 2008).

The "A" side (Columbia 4-41369, JRZSP 46100) contains "Lo Buoy" composed by George Roberts.

The "B" side (Columbia 4-41369, JRZSP 46101) contains "The Texan" - Theme from the CBS-TV program "The Texan" composed by W. Loose and J. Seely.

Both tracks simply say they are performed by "Mr. Roberts and his Big Bass Trombone."

These are striking for several reasons. They date from 1959-1960; most references that I have found regarding this places the release in 1959. This date makes sense because the TV show, "The Texans" only aired from 1958-1960, and "Lo Buoy" is listed in the United States Catalog of Copyright Entries, Volume 13, Part 5, No. 1: Music (January-June 1959) as having been composed and copyrighted by George M. Roberts on April 6, 1959; See the image from the Catalog, below:

"Lo Buoy" (clearly a take off on the words, "Low Boy") is a straight ahead feature for George and his bass trombone. The theme from "The Texan" seems to be the actual theme from the TV series, but plays longer than the theme as it was heard on the show and features George playing some seriously solid pedal tones, something he wasn't known for.

Neither track appears any of George's commercially available solo albums. The date of 1959/60 puts this release around the time of his "Meet Mr. Roberts" and "Bottoms Up" albums. Could these be tracks have been intended for inclusion on "Meet Mr. Roberts" but didn't fit? That would seem to be plausible, in particular with the use of the "Mr. Roberts" and "Big Bass Trombone" monikers that are part of "Meet Mr. Roberts." But if this is the case, it's surprising they are not included on the CD release of the album (Fresh Sound Records FSR-CD 642).

This 45 was subsequently released as a commercially available (not a test pressing) recording and copies can be found here and there on eBay, Discogs and other outlets. The commercial release has the same catalog numbers as the promotion record.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has more information about these tracks, in particular why this recording was produced. I'd also love to know who is accompanying George on "Lo Buoy."

I'm casting the net wide on this in hopes someone might know something about this.

With thanks,

-Douglas Yeo

ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Slightly off topic, Doug--

Another one to look for is an old Pete Fountain album recorded live in studio with bass drum, cymbals and snare marching idna circle while harmony is done by bone quartet. Had it as a kid. Can't find it on discographies but it is from pre-mid 70s. George on bass bone holding down the tuba parts....and getting solo space on tunes like "Over The Waves.

Lost the album, can't recall the name of it.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I dont have much knowledge about his discography. But this interest me a lot. I have never seen or listen this two recordings.

I wonder if the recordings above (6th april) was given out before or after "Meet Mr. Roberts"? That one is also  Columbia Records 1959 but I dont know the date. Its the same year so maybe there is a connection. Maybe it was a test before the LP? 

Does it sound like it has the same "sound picture" or same "crew" involved as "Meet Mr. Roberts"?

Sorry Im not much help here.

Leif
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

My guess would be that one recording session ended up with too much good material for one LP, so they released the extras that way instead of ending up "on the cutting room floor."

I have two different Bob Brookmeyer LP's from about the same time that are almost identical but sound like different takes from the same session - same tunes but the solos are all different.  And one has an extra tune on it. 

ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

What planet is this, where bass trombone players are pop stars, recording solo albums and getting airplay of singles on the radio?

How may million light years away from our world is it?
ttf_jakeway1

Post by ttf_jakeway1 »

Must be unissuesd tracks from the Meet Mr.Roberts session. Sounds like the Frank DeVol Orchestra.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

OT: It's so curiously awkward I had to look it up... the logo that appears after "Columbia" is called "the walking eye" but it's really supposed to depict a stylus on a record.  Image

ttf_jazzforever51

Post by ttf_jazzforever51 »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Sep 18, 2017, 07:32PMSlightly off topic, Doug--

Another one to look for is an old Pete Fountain album recorded live in studio with bass drum, cymbals and snare marching idna circle while harmony is done by bone quartet. Had it as a kid. Can't find it on discographies but it is from pre-mid 70s. George on bass bone holding down the tuba parts....and getting solo space on tunes like "Over The Waves.

The album you're talking about is South Rampart Street Parade by Pete Fountain and His Mardi Gras Strutters from 1963.  The group was made up of a regular group: Pete, clarinet; Jackie Coon, trumpet; Moe Schneider, trombone (who plays all the tailgate trombone); multiple drummers; and Phil Stephens, tuba.

For half the tracks a trombone quartet is added, and what a group!
    Dick Nash, Lew McCleary, Dick Noel, and George Roberts  Image

More info here ----> https://www.discogs.com/Pete-Fountain-And-His-Mardi-Gras-Strutters-South-Rampart-Street-Parade/release/4230299

And here's that recording of Over The Waves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F22s3bthoNM

Hearing both tuba and George playing down there at the beginning is just staggering!
ttf_jazzforever51

Post by ttf_jazzforever51 »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Sep 18, 2017, 07:32PMSlightly off topic, Doug--

The album you're talking about is South Rampart Street Parade by Pete Fountain and His Mardi Gras Strutters from 1963.  The group was made up of a regular group: Pete, clarinet; Jackie Coon, trumpet; Moe Schneider, trombone (who plays all the tailgate trombone); multiple drummers; and Phil Stephens, tuba.

For half the tracks a trombone quartet is added, and what a group!
    Dick Nash, Lew McCleary, Dick Noel, and George Roberts  Image

More info here ----> https://www.discogs.com/Pete-Fountain-And-His-Mardi-Gras-Strutters-South-Rampart-Street-Parade/release/4230299

And here's that recording of Over The Waves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F22s3bthoNM

Hearing both tuba and George playing down there at the beginning is just staggering!

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”