Music for Trombone and Electronic Tape--future performances?

ttf_djdekok

Post by ttf_djdekok »

I was looking up Jacob Druckman this evening, remembering that he'd written a work for solo trombone but not remembering the title.  As it happens, it's Animus I for trombone and electronic tape.

Got me to thinking...

With the move from CDs and DVDs to streaming, how are performers who wish to program these works dealing with the very real problem of finding suitable equipment to realize their performances?  One University I know of doesn't support (make purchases of) older technology--8-track, cassette, LP, reel-to-reel, etc.--or items for the library that depend on that technology.

Any thoughts?
ttf_mbarbier

Post by ttf_mbarbier »

A lot of publishers sell digital copies of those things now- though there can be a solid wait depending on if there has been a previous request or not. There are a number I've bought that came with a cd in the back, though it seems like most are moving toward the download model.

As universities move away from analog technologies the libraries tend to digitize those parts of their collections as well, so most of that music has digital copies floating around the web. My undergrad had a few of those pieces and simply digitized them when I made the library request to check out the reel to reel. That side of things tends to become a sort of 'know someone who knows someone' situation to get the file, but the trombone world is small enough that it tends to not be too difficult...there are a few notable exceptions (like Donald Erb's in no strange land ), but Animus I is definitely floating around more than most...
ttf_Dombat

Post by ttf_Dombat »

100% digital (with multiple copies in multiple places).
Either composers/publishers or a good sound engineer can provide a high quality perfect copy from most media.
The danger with any performance of such works is some kind of technology fail. I have had performances where one speaker cable loosened itself and ended up having to use the mono track, I've had a CD skip multiple times and not be able play past a certain point (I picked up the skip and played with it... Then again... Then tries to fast forward past the point. In the end I had to break off the performance insert the spare CD that I had on me and start again).
For performances today I have my laptop with the track(s) on the internal hard drive, an external hard drive, a version saved the cloud and a CD. My sound engineer will have at least the same with them.

Thanks for the reminder. I have to go work on some of my tracks. If anyone is interested and in Ulm, Germany in Febuary we are performing a concert of works for Trombone Percussion and Pre-Recorded Media.

ttf_Dombat

Post by ttf_Dombat »

100% digital (with multiple copies in multiple places).
Either composers/publishers or a good sound engineer can provide a high quality perfect copy from most media.
The danger with any performance of such works is some kind of technology fail. I have had performances where one speaker cable loosened itself and ended up having to use the mono track, I've had a CD skip multiple times and not be able play past a certain point (I picked up the skip and played with it... Then again... Then tries to fast forward past the point. In the end I had to break off the performance insert the spare CD that I had on me and start again).
For performances today I have my laptop with the track(s) on the internal hard drive, an external hard drive, a version saved the cloud and a CD. My sound engineer will have at least the same with them.

Thanks for the reminder. I have to go work on some of my tracks. If anyone is interested and in Ulm, Germany in Febuary we are performing a concert of works for Trombone Percussion and Pre-Recorded Media.

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”