Finally got to hear the NYPO

ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Well, we are over in MA seeing our son, daughter in law and her family. Two days ago we hit the Big Apple and were lucky enough to catch the NYPO in their home venue.  Our old friend Bramwell Tovey was conducting them so we  got to sit in the conductor's box and get to see some backstage historic materials not open to the public. The NYPO staff were very kind and helpful. The program was the overture to the Bartered Bride by Smetena, Bartok's second piano concerto and Mussorgsky/Ravel 'Pictures at an Exhibition '.
The orchestra was everthing we expected and more.  The strings are so powerful and virtuosic whilst the brass were true to their reputation for power and richness of tone. A thrilling experience.

Chris Stearn

ttf_TriJim

Post by ttf_TriJim »

Hope you caught their live broadcast, 'Leonard Bernstein tribute,' on PBS last evening.  Wished they would play 'Make Our Garden Grow' and they did not disappoint.

Where did Mr. Alessi go at intermission?
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Bram was really looking forward to conducting last night's concert. He greatly admires JA's playing.

Chris Stearn
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Big problem with Philharmonic Hall (or whatever they call it now; it was Avery Fisher last time I was there) is the awful acoustics.  I know they worked on them.  Are they any better?

I did catch the Bernstein concert on TV.  Fantastic playing by the NY Phil.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 01, 2018, 01:54PMBig problem with Philharmonic Hall (or whatever they call it now; it was Avery Fisher last time I was there) is the awful acoustics.  I know they worked on them.  Are they any better?

I did catch the Bernstein concert on TV.  Fantastic playing by the NY Phil.

The hall acoustics are okay.. a little bass light and very analytical. Quite like the Festival  hall in London. I could see why they have to make such big sounds in there.
Chris Stearn
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

I am very jealous! I am hoping to have an opportunity to her the NYP at some point while I am in America. In the last few months I have been lucky enough to hear of course the L.A. phil quite a bit, but other highlights were of course hearing Chicago symphony and the Israel Philharmonic. We are very lucky in L.A. to have so many great ensembles pass through disney hall! And I am spoilt living right across the street!  Image
ttf_Rich C

Post by ttf_Rich C »

QuoteWhere did Mr. Alessi go at intermission?
Was wondering that also. My memory might be failing me, but I seem to remember the same thing happened at last year's NYE performance.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

Joe just took the 2nd half of the concert off (maybe to beat the traffic home?). Collin Williams is Associate Principal; he played the 2nd half. Morris Kainuma was subbing on tuba.   
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

The bones and trumpets got a lot of good TV face time. Except for the 4th trumpet - his horn got on TV, but his face never did. I think the horn section got one shot the whole night. Good directing, if you ask me Image

Hearing that orchestra makes it tough to go back to playing in my community band.
ttf_sterb225

Post by ttf_sterb225 »

Chris - I think the weather (extra cold & dry) and the way they had the stage set in tiers contributed to the lean sound.  I went last week to that same concert and had a similar thought about the brass.  We are regulars in that hall and I was surprised by the sound last week.

ttf_sterb225

Post by ttf_sterb225 »

Chris - I think the weather (extra cold & dry) and the way they had the stage set in tiers contributed to the lean sound.  I went last week to that same concert and had a similar thought about the brass.  We are regulars in that hall and I was surprised by the sound last week.

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”