Orchestral tenor/bass players

ttf_ChadA

Post by ttf_ChadA »

Hello friends,
I'm looking for something very specific:  trombonists who hold (or have held) positions as both an orchestral tenor and orchestral bass trombone player.  My preference is for people who have won auditions on each instrument like Peter Norton (principal in Montreal, bass in Cincinnati) and James Markey (Asst. principal in NY, bass in NY and Boston).  Info on people whose positions includes both (like Paul Pollard at the Met and others) is fine, too.

Thanks!
ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

I will ask around! Someone has to have done it.

If you're not terribly picky, I have had professional orchestral gigs on both instruments. But on bass, it was a NETworks tour called "Handel's Messiah Rocks"...I'm guessing that doesn't count!  Image
ttf_ChadA

Post by ttf_ChadA »

Quote from: Jhereg on Dec 01, 2016, 09:30AMI will ask around! Someone has to have done it.

If you're not terribly picky, I have had professional orchestral gigs on both instruments. But on bass, it was a NETworks tour called "Handel's Messiah Rocks"...I'm guessing that doesn't count!  Image

I'm actually trying to be picky.  Image  I've played gigs on both, too.  I'm looking for people who have held positions in professional, traditional orchestras (ROPA or ICSOM in the US and their European/Canadian equivalents).
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Does that include most assistant principal players?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Stefan Schulz of the Berlin Philharmonic has held second trombone and bass trombone positions in that orchestra.
ttf_ChadA

Post by ttf_ChadA »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Dec 01, 2016, 01:55PMDoes that include most assistant principal players?

I'm more interested in people that won separate auditions on each instrument.  But, I would take names of people that fill a utility role (often, but not always, an assistant principal role) that involves playing tenor and bass in their orchestra, too.
ttf_deanmccarty

Post by ttf_deanmccarty »

Bill Rose held the bass trombone and tuba position with the Houston Symphony... Peter Kline held the bass trombone and a tenor chair with the San Antonio Symphony.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Steve Fissel has held 2nd and bass trombone in the Seattle Symphony
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

In that case, James Miller at LA plays both regularly.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I'm not sure where you are trying to head with this, Chad.  Nowadays there are specialized auditions for Bass Trombone and Trombone in orchestras.

If we go back a ways, Eugene Adam was Principal Trombone in the Boston Symphony but was fired because of a Musician Union strike in 1919.  He later rejoined the orchestra as Tubist.

Kilton Vinal Smith doubled as trombone and tuba with the Boston Symphony just prior to World War II.

But back then, you studied "trombone" and the 3rd chair wasn't a specialty.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The obvious name that has not been mentioned, perhaps the best example, is Charlie Vernon.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: snorsworthy on Dec 02, 2016, 11:27AMThe obvious name that has not been mentioned, perhaps the best example, is Charlie Vernon.

Dunno.  Did Charlie win an audition on tenor?  Agreed he can play any trombone, though.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Dave Reid.

2nd bone then bass bone in Calgary Phil. Home of Rockymountainbone here on TTF.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

David Pell in the Toronto (Canada) area. Dave's won positions on both tenor and bass.

Darren
ttf_ChadA

Post by ttf_ChadA »

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 02, 2016, 10:41AMI'm not sure where you are trying to head with this, Chad.  Nowadays there are specialized auditions for Bass Trombone and Trombone in orchestras.

Bruce,
I'm a product of the specialized bass vs tenor audition system:  I play both, but have only ever held the specialized third/bass trombone position in my ROPA orchestra.  Image  I'm looking for people who've succeeded in both scenarios, preferably recently; current folks are of the most interest.  

I know there are a few people who have navigated both audition circuits successfully and I'm looking to add to the list.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 02, 2016, 12:06PMDunno.  Did Charlie win an audition on tenor?  Agreed he can play any trombone, though.

He won a principal job before going to Chicago.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Dec 02, 2016, 02:18PMHe won a principal job before going to Chicago.
Really????
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

The only person i can think of who im pretty sure has done that in my corner of the world is Howard Parkinson who is the current Bass Trombone player in the Adelaide symphony orchestra but originally won an audition for the same orchestra as the principle trombone. I have never spoken to Howard about the specifics but i know there was a reason he changed positions in ASO.

Actually I could have this guess completely wrong, but I would hazard a guess that if a player wins both a SEPARATE tenor and bass job, that it would be VERY rare if it were not in the same orchestra. Or at least if they do hold a position in a different orchestrs they will have established themselves on tenor and bass chairs within ONE  professional orchestra first. I would be more interested specifically in people who have won a tenor job in one orchestra, then won a bass job in a totally separate professional orchestra  (or vice versa). I imagine those players would be rare. Am i right?
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Dec 02, 2016, 02:18PMHe won a principal job before going to Chicago.

Wasn't he bass trombone in Philadelphia before Chicago? And from memory (hopefully im not getting mixed up!) before that had a short time as Bass trombone in san Francisco? I heard he took an audition for a principle tenor position but was not awarded it.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on Dec 02, 2016, 02:34PMWasn't he bass trombone in Philadelphia before Chicago? And from memory (hopefully im not getting mixed up!) before that had a short time as Bass trombone in san Francisco? I heard he took an audition for a principle tenor position but was not awarded it.

My recollection was Charlie was in Baltimore, San Francisco and Philadelphia before Chicago all on bass. To my knowledge he didn't win any tenor auditions but he has taken a number of them spanning a few decades.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Quote from: BassBoneFL on Dec 02, 2016, 02:23PMReally????

I guess I'm wrong. I swear that was a thing!
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

Kevin already mentioned my section mate Dave Reid.

In addition to Jim Miller in LA, many of the big orchestras that carry 4 players have one player (either the 2nd or the Asst./Assoc) who has to fill in on Bass periodically. Colin Williams does that in the NYPhil. I think Eric Carlson does that role in Philly - not sure in Cleveland, San Fran., Baltimore, National.

Nowadays, most orchestra contracts have some language about trying to spread out the workload among the whole section, as well as many having some of their vacation weeks being done on a rotating basis, so someone has to cover the Bass chair in those situations. That's how Jim Markey began playing bass and fell in love with the instrument.

If you're looking into this for an article, or just for the info, I'd suggest checking with those orchestras that carry 4 (or 5 at the Met). I think that's all of the current ones in my 2nd paragraph, but Detroit, Toronto and Atlanta (briefly) all had 4 players for a time and lost that chair to attrition when finances were tight.

Jim Scott
ttf_usafband1976

Post by ttf_usafband1976 »

I saw of a picture of Don Harwood holding a Conn 88H with Per Brevig and a fellow named Gillespie listed as New Tork  Met Bone section.
ttf_pedro.bassclef

Post by ttf_pedro.bassclef »

Martin Schippers
ttf_ivanandrade

Post by ttf_ivanandrade »

Really? Where? What orchestra?
Before going to Chicago wasn't he the Bass trombone of the Philadelphia Orchestra?

Stefan Schulz from the Berlin Philharmonic, he won Second Trombone and then Bass in the BPO, before this he was Bass trombone with the Berlin Staatskapelle.

Vivan Lee from the Montreal Symphony, tenor with Montreal SYm. and bass with Orchestra London Canada
ttf_usafband1976

Post by ttf_usafband1976 »

I believe Charlie won Assistant Principal, Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
ttf_Edward_Solomon

Post by ttf_Edward_Solomon »

Thomas Leyendecker (Berliner Philharmoniker)
ttf_Socal77

Post by ttf_Socal77 »

In his own bio on his website, Charlie mentions only these professional positions, all bass trombone.

"Charles Vernon began his orchestral career as bass trombonist with the Baltimore Symphony, starting in September 1971. In 1980 he went to the San Francisco Symphony for one season. He was then chosen by Riccardo Muti to play bass trombone with the Philadelphia Orchestra, where he played for five years until coming to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in 1986."

If he won any tenor auditions (e.g. Detroit) he apparently did not accept the position.

ttf_Socal77

Post by ttf_Socal77 »

Come to think of it though, at a CSO Ravina concert this summer, Jay was off and Charlie played first trombone. He really seemed/looked at home there. When Jay (sadly) retires some day, I wonder if Charlie will move over a couple of seats?
ttf_Trombonaut

Post by ttf_Trombonaut »

I heard that in Helsinki Philharmonic they have changed their trombone section like that: principal switched to play bass (he used to be bass-trombonist in his younger age) and bass-trombonist switched to associate principal (former associate principal became principal now). Everything is possible.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

Bill Thomas was 2nd trombone in Atlanta and is now 2nd/3rd in the Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich. I believe he mostly plays bass in that job.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Sam Chen is principal of the Knoxville Symphony and also holds a position as bass trombone of another orchestra in TN called Symphony of the Mountains. He gets around subbing on bass trombone (and probably tenor) as well.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

In the doubling by necessity category, Colin Williams covers bass trombone in the NY Phil sometimes, as does Jim Nova in Pittsburgh.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: usafband1976 on Dec 17, 2016, 12:03PMI saw of a picture of Don Harwood holding a Conn 88H with Per Brevig and a fellow named Gillespie listed as New Tork  Met Bone section.

I've seen that picture, and I'm pretty sure that's a Holton Tr-185 he's holding. The wrap looks like an 88H wrap.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Buffalo Phil 2nd trombonist Tim Smith also covers bass trombone.
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

Quote from: chromebone on Dec 20, 2016, 07:34AMI've seen that picture, and I'm pretty sure that's a Holton Tr-185 he's holding. The wrap looks like an 88H wrap.

I'm not sure what Don Harwood used as his tenor when he started at the Met, but I remember hearing that his tenor set-up before he moved over to the NY Phil. was a Bach 50 slide with a 42 bell.

Jim Scott
ttf_snorsworthy

Post by ttf_snorsworthy »

Michael Mulchay, 2nd trombone in CSO, covers for Charlie on bass every so often.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

This is pretty common in Europe to have the 4th trombonist in a section be the Veksel posaune, or utility position.  Both the larger orchestras when I was in Copenhagen had someone who's job it is to play both.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: usafband1976 on Dec 18, 2016, 02:49PMI believe Charlie won Assistant Principal, Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

Tanny Gurin won that audition. Charlie was runner up.

Dee Stewart was bass trombonist in Louisiana and later second in Philadelphia.
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Phil Brink is now bass trombone in Singapore (?).  He was 1st trombone in Calgary in the '70's, and has won numerous other bass trombone spots along the way.
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

I believe Douglas Sparkes played 2nd tenor in Hamilton before going to Vancouver to play bass trombone.
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

I believe Douglas Sparkes played 2nd tenor in Hamilton before going to Vancouver to play bass trombone.

Return to “Trombonists”