Another rec. to get in shape for a music camp soon. Comments please!

ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Another recording - thank you for taking time

Im not doing the same song again, since some thought it was not very interesting. My latest project is instead Vocalise Op. 34, No. 14 by Serge Rachmaninoff.

I wanted to choose something harder and this one is a challenge. Not that it is technically fast, but it contains of very long phrases. It is a sensitive very romantic piece.

From the comments and private messages I received on my last recording I picked a few to concentrate more on while making this next recording.
- more of a vibrato
- use of a consistent and steady air-flow (more air)
- use of more micro-dynamics to make it more interesting

Link to new recording is:
https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724/vocalise-op-34-no-14-by-serge-rachmaninoff-1873-1943

I also want to thank all of you who commented on the previous recording.

I got good advice in the thread as you can see, and also advice in private messages that was sent to me. I thank you for all help.

If you want to hear and comment the other recording it is in this thread:
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,100973.0.html

Comments and help are welcome on both recordings of course.

/Tom
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

It sounded very nice to my ears, Tom. I liked the nice, open tone on the lowest notes and you kept that on the higher notes as well. I was impressed by your phrasing right at the very end.

I thought this selection sounded more "tromboney".

The only thing I found that bothered me some was your vibrato in effect at the very beginning of every note. I'm guessing that's a personal style point. Myself, I like to hear vibrato come in later on a note to sweeten it, rather than at the very start of a note. Your playing reminded me of a cellist putting instant vibrato on every single note of every duration. I'll do that sometimes myself, but only as a special effect and then I go back to my "normal" vibrato where I hit the note first and then start the vibrato. But I thought you were consistent with your approach!

Hey. You did great!

...Geezer

!!!I think today is a slow day, Tom. Hang in there!!!
ttf_watermailonman

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Jul 08, 2017, 07:09PMIt sounded very nice to my ears, Tom. I liked the nice, open tone on the lowest notes and you kept that on the higher notes as well. I was impressed by your phrasing right at the very end.

I thought this selection sounded more "tromboney".

The only thing I found that bothered me some was your vibrato in effect at the very beginning of every note. I'm guessing that's a personal style point. Myself, I like to hear vibrato come in later on a note to sweeten it, rather than at the very start of a note. Your playing reminded me of a cellist putting instant vibrato on every single note of every duration. I'll do that sometimes myself, but only as a special effect and then I go back to my "normal" vibrato where I hit the note first and then start the vibrato. But I thought you were consistent with your approach!

Hey. You did great!

...Geezer

Thanks. I tried to do a "cello-like" vibrato, and to be consistent with it like a Cellist.

/Tom 
ttf_watermailonman

I guess it is about noon in U.S now. In middle Europe 6 pm. I give a try to bump this at an our where people are awake.

Please listen and give comments.

What to do different? Recording tip? What do you think about the vibrato? Have you played the piece? How would you play it?

/Tom
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Starting with the nice things. You do play in tune. Mostly, witch is good.
You keep up with piano, rythmicly. Your phrasing is good.

The sound is not the best I heard from you.

Why do you play with that slow vibrato? I don´t think it works.
I can think of three ways, either no vibrato, or a late vibrato, or a singing like vibrato, faster and more even. Like a cello?

Air support.
ttf_uncle duke

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

What Geezer says mostly.  Let's hear the pure tone firstly then add some vibrato.  I listened twice and both times I said to myself that's where I'd add vibrato to certain notes but those were also the places you were taking your breaths.  It would be better to breath.

The first minute and the ending are the best but if we're not choosing to be nit-picky about vibrato then all of the playing sounds fine.  I do understand about the cello emulation though, may as well play it your way until something or someone better comes along.  Image
ttf_uncle duke

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

What Geezer says mostly.  Let's hear the pure tone firstly then add some vibrato.  I listened twice and both times I said to myself that's where I'd add vibrato to certain notes but those were also the places you were taking your breaths.  It would be better to breath.

The first minute and the ending are the best but if we're not choosing to be nit-picky about vibrato then all of the playing sounds fine.  I do understand about the cello emulation though, may as well play it your way until something or someone better comes along.  Image

Return to “Performance”