New Yeo/Pagano bass trombone recording - update

ttf_yeodoug

Post by ttf_yeodoug »

Some of you know that Gerry Pagano (bass trombonist of the St. Louis Symphony since 1995) and I are at work on a new album of duets for bass trombones. Our recording engineer is Mike Lake, who you may have seen at the recent International Trombone Festival in Redlands, CA, at his presentation on jazz alto trombone playing or at his trade stand where he had his books for sale.

Gerry and I have known each other since 1987 when I was a member of the Boston Symphony and he was a Fellow at the Tanglewood Music Center. Earlier this month, we spent three days in Mike's studio, recording a very eclectic selection of music.

While release of the album is still a little while away - we have much work to do with editing, reviewing, design, mastering, marketing, etc. - I thought I'd share some of what we've been doing. Mike's creativity is quite exceptional, and working with him has pushed me outside my ordinary comfort zone to embrace some new things. I've written an article about some of this experience for Mike's blog and I've also put it on my blog, along with the first edit of one of the tracks from the album, Tommy Pederson's "Rumble on 6th Street."

You can find the article by clicking this link on my blog:

https://thelasttrombone.com/2017/09/02/trust-risk-reward/

or on Mike's blog at:

http://www.altobone.com/trust-risk-reward/

Gerry, Mike and I look forward to sharing more about this as we move ahead with the project.

-Douglas Yeo
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

That's a very interesting recording, and I look forward to when the album becomes available.

I thought I had a complete set of Pederson duets, but I've never heard of this one.  Is it from a book or a standalone?  Is sheet music available?
ttf_yeodoug

Post by ttf_yeodoug »

This duet is from Tommy Pederson's Ten Duets for Bass Trombone, published by Kendor Music in 1976, catalog 6067C.

You can find it here in the Hickeys Music Center catalog:

http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trombone/trombone_ensembles/trombone_duets/products/sku007833-pederson-duets-for-bass-trombones-10.php

The duet titles in this book are:

1. Empty Boxes (we recorded this duet)
2. The Whether Man
3. Hippo in the Cabbage Patch
4. Rumble on 6th Street (we recorded this duet)
5. Riot of the Red Ants
6. Fibulee, Fibula
7. Melissa (we recorded this duet)
8. The Walrus Ordered Waffles
9. Trigger Talk
10. Adrift on a Waterbed

-Douglas Yeo
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Thank you, Doug.

I didn't realize there were two different books of bass bone duets.  The titles in the book I have are all different (will post if anyone wants to know).
ttf_yeodoug

Post by ttf_yeodoug »

Yes. Tommy self-published an earlier set of bass trombone duets in 1973, titled, "10 Pieces for Two Bass Trombones." Gerry Pagano and I have recorded three duets from that set:

1. The Hitch Hiker
6. Cashmere
8. Below 10th Street

We added Latin percussion to our recording of Cashmere and a rhythm section (including Hammond B3 organ) to Below 10th Street. More on this to come.

-Douglas Yeo
ttf_NYPhil

Post by ttf_NYPhil »

Very cool, Doug!

Phil G
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: yeodoug on Yesterday at 07:50 AM

1. The Hitch Hiker
6. Cashmere
8. Below 10th Street

We added Latin percussion to our recording of Cashmere and a rhythm section (including Hammond B3 organ) to Below 10th Street. More on this to come.

-Douglas Yeo

That's the book of duets I was familiar with.  Looking forward to hearing your versions!
ttf_marccromme

Post by ttf_marccromme »

Quote from: yeodoug on Sep 02, 2017, 10:06PMThis duet is from Tommy Pederson's Ten Duets for Bass Trombone, published by Kendor Music in 1976, catalog 6067C.

These are sooo fun to play - I love everu each of them - I see really forward to hear your recodings when they are finished!
ttf_marccromme

Post by ttf_marccromme »

Quote from: yeodoug on Sep 02, 2017, 10:06PMThis duet is from Tommy Pederson's Ten Duets for Bass Trombone, published by Kendor Music in 1976, catalog 6067C.

These are sooo fun to play - I love everu each of them - I see really forward to hear your recodings when they are finished!

Return to “Performance”