Sound reduction for pit orchestra playing

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've been playing in the pit orchestra for a community theater for about a year. We don't have an actual pit, and so the orchestra (generally 7-8 musicians) is off to the side of the stage. Volume control is an issue at times, and many musicals have trombone parts that are not situated in a register that facilitates quiet playing! I miss notes on occasion trying to play them softly.
I was thinking of trying to build something small that I can somehow mount to the side of my stand that I can aim my bell into to somewhat muffle the sound. Has anyone done something like this, and was it successful? I'm a good Googler, but I haven't seen anything like this.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

StoneLine makes a Derby that you used to clamp to the edge of your stand and play into.  It was for Big Band and was often referred to as a "hat" mute.  Putting a lot of towels or cotton batting in the Derby muffles the sound even more.

Another option:  The Softone Mute.  Neat idea by Ira Nepus.  I use one instead of a bucket.

Then there's the actual bucket.

Or you can go into another room and phone it in Image
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Quote from: BGuttman on Oct 30, 2017, 04:36PM

Or you can go into another room and phone it in Image

That's exactly what they do at Flat Rock Playhouse in NC. The "pit" is an upstairs room above and behind the stage. The MD has a tv screen of the stage and the stage has screens of the MD. Unfortunately, they have cut way down on the size of their bands lately and have been using keyboards to cover all the horn parts for the past couple of years.
ttf_Biotron2000

Post by ttf_Biotron2000 »

The derby idea is kind of what I had in mind. Thanks!  Image
Our theater is holding on to live musicians to set us apart from the others in town, which I love. I will play as long as they let me!
Going to another room has been discussed, but we don't have the space to do it.
ttf_Biotron2000

Post by ttf_Biotron2000 »

The derby idea is kind of what I had in mind. Thanks!  Image
Our theater is holding on to live musicians to set us apart from the others in town, which I love. I will play as long as they let me!
Going to another room has been discussed, but we don't have the space to do it.

Return to “Performance”