"One solo or concerto piece" for upcoming orchestral audition

ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

So I've got an upcoming orchestral audition and aside from the excerpts there is a request for one solo or concerto piece. Note this is not an audition for a school.

What is usually appropriate for these kind of auditions? I know of course what is required for the solo pieces but was wondering what is something that the panel would like to hear!

Like would it be more appropriate to play like a Bach Cello Suite Sarabande or Prelude, David Fetter Dona Nobis Variations, kind of piece or would it be more appropriate for something more technical/part of a large work like the Hasley Stevens or Vaughn Williams Tuba Concerto?

I've of course already asked my teachers but I want to pick your guy's brains also!

Thanks!
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Many people will endeavor to name a particular piece, but how about this... play your single personal best piece that fits the request.

They are not sitting there with a secret list that you should have chosen from.  I think a vague request like that is a desire to hear you at your best and to give you the leeway to pick what that is.

They'll probably have sight-reading or scales to weed out people on other metrics, take advantage of this opportunity to show them your most pleasing result with home field advantage.

ttf_Quixotik

Post by ttf_Quixotik »

There are so many options. But personally, I would listen to a bunch of trombone concertos with an orchestral accompaniment, find my favorite one, and then play my favorite movement.

Also, it should be something that you not only enjoy, but that you can play without any mishaps. Your excerpts are probably more important, and those should be done as perfectly as possible. TromboneExcerpts.org is a good, well known, resource. Especially watch for tuning and context, as those are most often missed.

For your solo, choosing a mainstream concerto is fine, most importantly, make it your own and try to stand out.

Like robcat mentioned, scales and sight-reading are freebies if they are there. Scales only takes a little time, and sight reading is also easy if you practice. Which most people don't. I got a book that I just went through with over 200 sight reading excerpts. I just ran through the book. I'm sure sight-reading put me above the rest at my last audition. But you never mentioned it, so just keep it in the back of your head for future, or if you have time, do it now.

Good luck!
ttf_sonicsilver

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

You don't say if it's tenor or bass.

The most commonly requested tenor piece is the David Concertino. Frank Martin's Ballad and the first movement of the Tomasi concerto turn up sometimes. Other reasonable choices are the first movement of the Grondahl concerto, first movement of the Casterede Sonatine, Saint Saens Cavatine. A personal favourite of mine is the first movement of the Johan de Meij concerto. All of these pieces include some contrasting technical and lyrical passages and a wide pitch range.

Most common audition pieces for bass are Bach C minor sarabande, Sachse concertino, Lebedev concerto and New Orleans by Eugene Bozza.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

If they wanted to hear you play the David or the Bach Sarabande, they would have specifically asked for it - they're the most standard pieces, by far the most frequently asked. Play the piece you love best and play the nicest,even if it's completely obscure. Remember that the solo piece is the appropriate moment to really show your individuality

Now by all means, if your Bach Sarabande is really good, really special and you love playing it, and you have a fresh take on it that isn't just the way every other bass trombonist always play it,  don't hesitate to do it!
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

The panel want to hear you play well. Pick a piece that shows how well you can control your instrument. Any piece, as long as you play it well!
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

The panel want to hear you play well. Pick a piece that shows how well you can control your instrument. Any piece, as long as you play it well!

Return to “Other Musicians and Ensembles”