Chuck Mangione

ttf_Pteranabone

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

What is he up to?  Did he retire?  Not much activity on his website.

Feeling old and missing the brass heroes of my youth.
ttf_Pteranabone

Chuck Mangione

No Chuck fans?
ttf_Steven

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_Steven »

I guess playing for all those Mega-lo-mart openings took its toll.
ttf_Radar

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_Radar »

His Brother Gap still plays around Rochester regularly.  It used to be Chuck would show up unannounced at one of Gaps gigs from time to time and sit in, but that hasn't happened in quit a number of years.  Chuck's Friends and Lovers album is still one of my favorites.  He was an OK horn player who wrote and recorded some great music.  Rumor has it around Rochester that he can't play anymore, if that's the case it's sad.
ttf_Sliphorn

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: Radar on Aug 24, 2017, 08:03PMHis Brother Gap still plays around Rochester regularly.  It used to be Chuck would show up unannounced at one of Gaps gigs from time to time and sit in, but that hasn't happened in quit a number of years.  Chuck's Friends and Lovers album is still one of my favorites.  He was an OK horn player who wrote and recorded some great music.  Rumor has it around Rochester that he can't play anymore, if that's the case it's sad.
Hmmm.  I think he was a fantastic player.  And definitely did record and write some great tunes.  Corny maybe, but I'm partial to "The Land of Make-Believe."
ttf_Bellend

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_Bellend »

My favourite album of his has always been Main Squeeze which was on the A&M lable.
Tried looking for it on cd and couldn't believe how exspensive it was Image Image Image

BellEnd
ttf_hyperbolica

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

My favorites were Children of Sanchez and of course Feels So Good. We wore those out as kids.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Not playing any more??

If you are old enough, and were a jazz fan back in the day it was well noted in Downbeat Mag, in the letters to the editor column, that the reviews of Mangione playing in the 70s proved that he couldn't play THEN either. ha hah hahahahaha
ttf_robcat2075

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Do instrumentals, such as "Feels So Good" was, still make it onto "hit" music charts? (I'm not counting "classical" charts here.)

Last one I can recall might have been "Axel Foley's Theme" in 1984.  Image

ttf_Euphanasia

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Aug 26, 2017, 02:45PMDo instrumentals, such as "Feels So Good" was, still make it onto "hit" music charts?

Depends if you consider "Auto-tune" to be an instrument. Half of what I hear on the pop charts now is so heavily processed that it might as well be just pure synthesizer.
ttf_Pre59

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Aug 26, 2017, 02:29PMNot playing any more??

If you are old enough, and were a jazz fan back in the day it was well noted in Downbeat Mag, in the letters to the editor column, that the reviews of Mangione playing in the 70s proved that he couldn't play THEN either. ha hah hahahahaha

And here's a nice saucer of milk, Meow!..
ttf_Dukesboneman

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

The last time I saw Chuck he was walking thru Eastman and the students thought he was a homeless guy that wandered in. He didn`t look good.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Hey, Pre59, I bought his album. My friends bought his album. If he looks homeless now.... I sent him the money 40 years ago... he should have invested it with compound interest.....
ttf_MikeBMiller

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I spent many hours in HS trying to play along with his albums, without any music of course. He came to my home town sometime in the late 70s' or early 80's with Chris Vidala and a combo. It was a great show.
ttf_Arranger-Transcriber

Chuck Mangione

Post by ttf_Arranger-Transcriber »

Although I've journeyed into more adventuresome music since, I thought Chuck's music was great.  We've strayed from the melodic music of the past.  Sign me up for the comeback concert.

Very curious what has happened to him.  Mysterious.
ttf_Pteranabone

Chuck Mangione

Art Blakey thought his improv skills were sufficient to land him a spot in the Jazz Messengers.
ttf_Pteranabone

Chuck Mangione

Art Blakey thought his improv skills were sufficient to land him a spot in the Jazz Messengers.

Return to “Other Musicians and Ensembles”