"Happy Birthday" finally PD?

ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Is it safe to sing "Happy Birthday" yet?

Is the most egregious case of wrongful copyright finally over?

Maybe...

‘Happy Birthday’ Not Under Copyright Protection, Judge Rules

I'm surprised by the ruling since this had previously gone all the way to the US Supreme Court ending in a win for the copyright holders, so I doubt this is the last word.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There are actually a couple of arrangements that are under copyright to Chappell.

I still think they aren't going to come after you when yo sing it at your 5 year old's Birthday Party.

Also remember that "Good Morning to You" has been PD for a long time.  Dates back to 1908.  Those were the original lyrics.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Video report from al-J shows recently discovered ancient manuscript and guy who found it.

‘Happy Birthday to You’ copyright thrown out

Now that it's no longer forbidden fruit, perhaps we can find something more interesting to sing at birthdays.
ttf_jmtheob

Post by ttf_jmtheob »

I think in England they sing "For He/She's a Jolly Good Fellow."  Image
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: jmtheob on Sep 24, 2015, 06:40AMI think in England they sing "For He/She's a Jolly Good Fellow."  Image

we still sing happy birthday in England!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I always liked the Disney takeoff from Alice in Wonderland: "A Very Merry Un-Birthday".  But it will probably remain in copyright as long as Mickey Mouse Image
ttf_jmtheob

Post by ttf_jmtheob »

Quote from: vegasbound on Sep 24, 2015, 06:41AMwe still sing happy birthday in England!

I obviously had a misconception. I apologize for my presumption.  Image
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Old Colbert Report report on Happy Birthday...

ttf_baileyman

Post by ttf_baileyman »

Can we organize a class action suit to recover all those royalties?

ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Sep 25, 2015, 08:53PMOld Colbert Report report on Happy Birthday...

Hi Rob! Welcome back  Image

Image /Tom
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: baileyman on Sep 28, 2015, 08:04AMCan we organize a class action suit to recover all those royalties?

Update: 

Last June (2016) the judge signed off on the final settlement that eliminates copyright on "Happy Birthday" and also provides some repayment of unjustly collected royalties.

That is the end of one of the most preposterous copyright claims of our age.

You can now play it in concerts, sing it in movies, and perform it anywhere you like.

Warner Music Pays $14 Million to End 'Happy Birthday' Copyright Lawsuit

Company that collected royalties for 'Happy Birthday' ordered to pay back $14million after judge approves settlement that puts the song in the public domain

Next... Mickey Mouse.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Mickey Mouse was "invented" in 1923, even though his first movie, Steamboat Willie came out in 1927.

Disney has been trying to keep moving the copyright definition to keep Mickey under copyright.  Anything published in 1923 and later seems to remain under copyright.

Based on the laws in force at Mickey's creation, he'd be Public Domain in 1979 (56 years after invention).  Disney died in 1965 so 50 years after death would be 2015.

Regardless of what measuring stick you apply, it's time to let Mickey go.  Or make him a Trade Mark and let the copyright laws revert to something more reasonable.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

The conflict we are approaching is trademark vs. copyright.

The copyright on Mickey Mouse films will begin expiring in 2024 but Mickey Mouse is also a trademark which is potentially endless.

Mickey’s Headed to the Public Domain! But Will He Go Quietly?

QuoteThe use of trademark law to protect works also subject to copyright is nothing new. The first 21 stories about Tarzan, being first published commencing in 1916, are now all in the public domain. 4 Yet, there are no rival stories about Tarzan being currently written by other authors. This is because heirs of Edgar Rice Burroughs, the creator of Tarzan, had the foresight to obtain a trademark on the name “Tarzan.” 5 Armed with this registration, they have been successful in preventing the distribution of works using the “Tarzan” trademark and variations. 6
I guess we're lucky Happy Birthday was just a song and not also a cartoon character.

ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

The conflict we are approaching is trademark vs. copyright.

The copyright on Mickey Mouse films will begin expiring in 2024 but Mickey Mouse is also a trademark which is potentially endless.

Mickey’s Headed to the Public Domain! But Will He Go Quietly?

QuoteThe use of trademark law to protect works also subject to copyright is nothing new. The first 21 stories about Tarzan, being first published commencing in 1916, are now all in the public domain. 4 Yet, there are no rival stories about Tarzan being currently written by other authors. This is because heirs of Edgar Rice Burroughs, the creator of Tarzan, had the foresight to obtain a trademark on the name “Tarzan.” 5 Armed with this registration, they have been successful in preventing the distribution of works using the “Tarzan” trademark and variations. 6
I guess we're lucky Happy Birthday was just a song and not also a cartoon character.

Return to “The Business of Music”