Importing horns into the US

ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I recently sold a bass trombone. This usually involves my taking the horn across the border and shipping it from a location in the US. This has never been an issue, as I know the form I need to fill out and present to US Customs and I don't have a problem paying $13.70 for a commercial entry.

There are, I learned, different procedures to be followed when the value of the merchandise is over $2500. In such cases, you have to go through a customs broker who will complete the neccessary forms and post a bond. The bond covers any possible duty that might be found to be owing. The forms essentially verify the particulars of the parties and of the deal (price, description and origin of the goods) One form is an application to enter the US including port of entry, date of entry, etc. It makes sense if you've got a load of lumber, less so for a trombone. There were about half a dozen or more separate forms.

The bond is pricey and the buyer and seller will have to turn their minds to who will bear that cost.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

You guys need a trade deal  Image Image Image Image  Image Image Image Image
In the UK we get to pay tax on everything from the US... even gifts !!! With handling fees, we can pay as much on a small item as it is worth, over again.
It's the way of the world, and it is about to get a lot WORSE.
I have given up on the idea of buying trombones from abroad.

Chris Stearn.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Actually, incoming  into the GWN is much simpler. You pay a sales tax of 12% as if you bought it in Canada and away you go. No crazy paperwork.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Ellrod on Jan 29, 2017, 01:59AMActually, incoming  into the GWN is much simpler. You pay a sales tax of 12% as if you bought it in Canada and away you go. No crazy paperwork.
There are tariffs on importing brass instruments of non-US manufacture into the US as the US has a brass instrument industry to protect.  There are no such tariffs on brass instruments coming into Canada.  We no longer have anyone making them here.  This is one reason why Yamaha and Jupiter instruments are so competitively priced in Canada WRT the US prices.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Not a new problem.

There are great letters from J.S. Bach to his friends BEGGING them not to send him any more free hogsheads of wine............he couldn't afford the taxes and tariffs on the FREE wine.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

In my recent case, it was importing a Shires horn back into the US. No duty under NAFTA, which as of today remains in effect.
But, USCustoms has its rules, regs and procedures.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

A bit more clarification:

Shipments valued $800.00 or under are considered "SEC321"  releases and can be self cleared by the Seller or Buyer with US Customs.  ( No Broker Required )  Upon Customs Discretion

Shipment valued $801.00 - $2500.00 are Considered "Informal" and same as above

Shipments over $2500.00 are considered "Formal" and will need a Broker to submit Entry to Customs

Also, many 1st time importers usually like to have a US Broker involved for their 1st shipment just so they get the hand of how Imports are processed through the Border.
ttf_baroquetrombone

Post by ttf_baroquetrombone »

Interesting.

I've heard this stuff before, but I've bought eight trombones from overseas (UK, Switzerland, Germany, Bulgaria, France) ranging in price from about $250 to over $4500 and I've never done anything more than pay (PP or bank transfer) and meet the mail lady at her truck.

What's with that? Not that I'm complaining....
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: blast on Jan 29, 2017, 01:44AMYou guys need a trade deal  Image Image Image Image  Image Image Image Image
In the UK we get to pay tax on everything from the US... even gifts !!! With handling fees, we can pay as much on a small item as it is worth, over again.

Chris Stearn.

One way it's about to get worse is that Paypal just kicked up their percentage on international transactions by another 1% and killed off buyer protection for friends/family transactions.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: blast on Jan 29, 2017, 01:44AMYou guys need a trade deal  Image Image Image Image  Image Image Image Image

Chris Stearn.

One way it's about to get worse is that Paypal just kicked up their percentage on international transactions by another 1% and killed off buyer protection for friends/family transactions.

Return to “The Business of Music”