Typical pay for church Easter service

ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I know this varies a lot by area, but is there a standard range?

This Easter our music director "had the trumpet covered," until at the last minute he didn't and begged my help. 

I called the trumpet instructor at the university and he said all his players had been committed months ago.  Well, doh.  I figured that but it was worth a shot. 

But he added none of them would take the job for what we typically paid.  His students were getting four times that.  Okay, I was low, haven't raised rates in a while, and Easter is a special occasion. 

So, what do you think?  Typical Easter, one rehearsal, one service, but it's long, you're there from 0930 to 1230 or so. 
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

We're not a top quintet but we get $100 per man for the service.  I suspect that some more well-heeled churches can pay more, and I would think that $250 per man would not be a surprise.  It would be fair compensation for having to play "Jesus Christ is Ris'n Today" for the few dozen times we'd need to Image  Incidentally, our local church can't even pay us that much.  And the local Catholic Church, which used to have a quartet for Easter Vigil and Christmas, went to 2 trumpets and then to nobody because they ran out of money.
ttf_slide advantage

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

In my experience, around $250 is the average.

But for the past 6 years I have played Christmas and Easter services (3 services each) at a Presbyterian church. And they are extremely appreciate of and generous with the musicians. Every year the check gets bigger. It is usually above $700. I pinch myself every year.

But they hire symphony players (Dallas and Ft Worth). Even though I was once in the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra as a senior in high school, I feel like I am fooling them every year.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I was lucky this year and got 2 gigs that payed $250 and $300 respectively. Each was for a rehearsal and one service, but the $250 on was an Episcopal service that lasted just slightly shorter than Gone With the Wind. In the past, my quintet has gotten $200 a person for 2 services at a different Episcopal church. But that has been the same for 10 years, so it's about time for a raise. 

I have found that you don't get a raise unless you ask for one. We do a local graduation ceremony that payed $1,000 (for 8 people) for 10 years. Last year I asked an received a 15% boost on that.
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

I played this Easter in St Pete FL and received $200 for two services.

There's a church in Hilton Head that pays $850 per man and puts us up in a hotel. Played Christmas the last two years, but wasn't able to play Easter.  Three Christmas Eve services and two Christmas morning services.

$200 a man is a lot in St Pete

Jerry Walker
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Quote from: Driswood on Apr 20, 2017, 12:17PMI played this Easter in St Pete FL and received $200 for two services.

There's a church in Hilton Head that pays $850 per man and puts us up in a hotel. Played Christmas the last two years, but wasn't able to play Easter.  Three Christmas Eve services and two Christmas morning services.

$200 a man is a lot in St Pete

Jerry Walker

I can be in HH in 4 hours if you need somebody!
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Heck, I'd drive down from WV for that price. Bet Christmas would be a little warmer in SC  Image
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: Matt K on Apr 21, 2017, 09:44AMHeck, I'd drive down from WV for that price. Bet Christmas would be a little warmer in SC  Image

Yep, it is. I taught in Hundred for two years (1979-81),, and played a lot in Morgantown. It does get chilly there. I'm near Tampa Florida now, and I love wearing shorts and a T-Shirt all winter!

Jerry Walker
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Driswood on Apr 21, 2017, 11:37AMYep, it is. I taught in Hundred for two years (1979-81),, and played a lot in Morgantown. It does get chilly there. I'm near Tampa Florida now, and I love wearing shorts and a T-Shirt all winter!

Jerry Walker

::envy::

I've been in Morgantown for over a decade now.  On the bright side, its only been below zero for a few dozen days in that span of time  Image
ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

I played Maundy Thursday. Direct deposit should be made on the 30th but should be $200 for one rehearsal (on Wednesday) and one one-hour service.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

It doesn't matter to me what, if anything, they pay me. However, I have learned to take whatever they are willing to pay me so as not to depress the market for those to whom it does matter.

...Geezer
ttf_baroquetrombone

Post by ttf_baroquetrombone »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Apr 21, 2017, 02:28PMIt doesn't matter to me what, if anything, they pay me. However, I have learned to take whatever they are willing to pay me so as not to depress the market for those to whom it does matter.

...Geezer

You can always sign the check right back to the church if that is your inclination. My father did that for years because he was a member of the church that hired him but also played professionally around town.  But yes, playing for free tends to support the already prevalent thought that people shouldn't have to pay for music -- that's not good for any of us.

When I'm not stuck working out of town, my Easter gig recently has been $550 for two very short (hour or less) rehearsals and one service of no more than 2hrs. That's NYC though, and mostly on baroque instruments (but the hymns are also the one time per year that I get to play modern in public  Image).

ttf_EdGrissom

Post by ttf_EdGrissom »

250.00 is the rate we get for Easter and Christmas in east Texas.    If it's a random service during the year we usually get 150.00 or so for a rehearsal and service.   
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: baroquetrombone on Apr 22, 2017, 09:32AMYou can always sign the check right back to the church if that is your inclination. My father did that for years because he was a member of the church that hired him but also played professionally around town.  But yes, playing for free tends to support the already prevalent thought that people shouldn't have to pay for music -- that's not good for any of us.

When I'm not stuck working out of town, my Easter gig recently has been $550 for two very short (hour or less) rehearsals and one service of no more than 2hrs. That's NYC though, and mostly on baroque instruments (but the hymns are also the one time per year that I get to play modern in public  Image).

I gave that some thought. But it's a small and interconnected world. I'm afraid that tactic would get back to the other brass guys and make me unpopular. So I cash the check and use the money for donations a little at a time into the offering plate when it gets passed under my nose at various churches I haunt. Everyone wins in that scenario. I don't do paid gigs very much, so it works. If there should be a surplus accumulation, I can always find other outlets - such as paying too much for chicken dinners at the fire hall, girl scout cookies that I don't eat but feel compelled to buy, etc.

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: baroquetrombone on Apr 22, 2017, 09:32AMYou can always sign the check right back to the church if that is your inclination. My father did that for years because he was a member of the church that hired him but also played professionally around town.  But yes, playing for free tends to support the already prevalent thought that people shouldn't have to pay for music -- that's not good for any of us.

I gave that some thought. But it's a small and interconnected world. I'm afraid that tactic would get back to the other brass guys and make me unpopular. So I cash the check and use the money for donations a little at a time into the offering plate when it gets passed under my nose at various churches I haunt. Everyone wins in that scenario. I don't do paid gigs very much, so it works. If there should be a surplus accumulation, I can always find other outlets - such as paying too much for chicken dinners at the fire hall, girl scout cookies that I don't eat but feel compelled to buy, etc.

...Geezer

Return to “The Business of Music”