Is it okay to puff your cheeks when you play?

ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I have a tendency to puff my cheeks on Tuba, but don't seem to do it on other instruments.  I'm working on getting it out of my Tuba playing also.  It's not the most efficient use of your air.  There are always exceptions to every rule, and Dizzy and other puffers have used the puffed cheeks and it works for them, but I think if you look at the majority of professional players they don't puff out there cheeks.  By the way I am working with a brass instructor to help me break bad habits like my puffing, I highly recommend finding a good teacher.  I play my warm-up with a small mirror on my stand, and play particular attention to whether or not I'm puffing and it is working.

ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I have a tendency to puff my cheeks on Tuba, but don't seem to do it on other instruments.  I'm working on getting it out of my Tuba playing also.  It's not the most efficient use of your air.  There are always exceptions to every rule, and Dizzy and other puffers have used the puffed cheeks and it works for them, but I think if you look at the majority of professional players they don't puff out there cheeks.  By the way I am working with a brass instructor to help me break bad habits like my puffing, I highly recommend finding a good teacher.  I play my warm-up with a small mirror on my stand, and play particular attention to whether or not I'm puffing and it is working.

Return to “Musical Miscellany”