Oboe grab and go

ttf_robcat2075

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I'm not sure what went wrong here.

Video:

https://twitter.com/_/status/909814697691680768

I've heard of violin soloists grabbing a concertmaster's axe when a string broke but I haven't ever considered such an emergency for a WW.

Anyone here ever have to grab a horn that quick? Probably not, there isn't as much to go wrong with a trombone, fortunately.

ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Only once! I was playing in a dance band and one tune had some very fast mute changes. I took a bucket out while holding the horn to my face to I could play right after our measure rest and the slide slipped from my left pinky. I had to use a doubler buddy's horn. It all worked out.  Image
ttf_Malec Heermans

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_Malec Heermans »

Wow.
ttf_LowrBrass

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Yeah, wow.

I love how unphased the non-soloist is, too.

My brain has never worked that quickly in my life (and I question the logistics of how you could [safely] do that with a trombone), but I did finish out a high school jazz band concert on my sectionmate's horn when my spit valve came unsoldered in the middle of the set.
ttf_robcat2075

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

A later post in that thread shows the reed...

ttf_Andrew Meronek

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

Wow, that's a section acting as one, pretty cool.  Image
ttf_Posaunus

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Oboists tell me this sort of event is not unique, and has happened before.  Due to the crankiness of the instrument (and reeds), the second oboist (or associate principal) is to be alert during the principal's exposed solo, ready in such an emergency to hand over his/her instrument - or jump in and continue playing the solo!  Image

I believe I'll stick with a (pretty reliable) trombone, thank you!  Image
ttf_amichael

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_amichael »

We once heard an oboe concerto. Before the piece a stage manager brought out a chair, went backstage and brought out an oboe that was placed on the chair. The soloist then came out, with their primary oboe and played the concerto. The other oboe was just a spare, in case of problems.
ttf_oslide

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_oslide »

Does anybody have a clue what his hitting on the instrument is supposed to achieve?
ttf_robcat2075

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: oslide on Sep 19, 2017, 03:38AMDoes anybody have a clue what his hitting on the instrument is supposed to achieve?

One speculation I read was that he was trying to clear water blocking a tone hole. Like needing to empty a spit valve.
ttf_ronnies

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_ronnies »

He apparently split the reed while trying to clear water from a blocked tone hole.  What's not seen in the video is that the second oboe had a new reed fitted and the instrument cleared and returned to him before his next entry.  Also the instrument he grabbed from second oboe did not have the same fingering system as his own one.

Ronnie
ttf_bubbachet

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_bubbachet »

Quote from: ronnies on Sep 19, 2017, 07:15AMHe apparently split the reed while trying to clear water from a blocked tone hole.  What's not seen in the video is that the second oboe had a new reed fitted and the instrument cleared and returned to him before his next entry.  Also the instrument he grabbed from second oboe did not have the same fingering system as his own one.

Ronnie

There's a reason they're professionals. Unreal.
ttf_bubbachet

Oboe grab and go

Post by ttf_bubbachet »

Quote from: ronnies on Sep 19, 2017, 07:15AMHe apparently split the reed while trying to clear water from a blocked tone hole.  What's not seen in the video is that the second oboe had a new reed fitted and the instrument cleared and returned to him before his next entry.  Also the instrument he grabbed from second oboe did not have the same fingering system as his own one.

Ronnie

There's a reason they're professionals. Unreal.

Return to “Musical Miscellany”