Alaska Airline - safe for horn?

ttf_JSBassTrb

Post by ttf_JSBassTrb »

Anyone had positive/negative experiences with Alaska? It looks to be my best option to get to the Alessi Seminar this year from ATL, but i've never flown them.
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

On the plus side "Trip Advisor" just called Alaska the "#9 Best Airline" in the world. This out of hundreds of airlines.

I like their prices, good service, and excellent "Northwest" food and beer. They do charge extra for checked bags.

Portland Oregon's airport, PDX, is also highly rated.

It looks like Alaska has one non-stop a day from Atlanta to PDX. The aircraft is a 737.
However, if you stop in Seattle the plane to Portland is a Bombardier Q400 propeller.

The Q400 HAS NO LUGGAGE RACKS FOR CARRY-ONS. They take your medium and large carry-ons from you at the aircraft door and put them in the luggage compartment!

The University of Oregon is in Eugene, 126 miles (2.5 hours drive) south of PDX.

I hope you find Oregon to be clean, green, and friendly,

Hear you there,
Rich Manning

ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

I don't have any information about Alaska and horns.  I can tell you some of their Bombardiers are small.

But I can tell you Alaska has been my preferred airline for years.  I fly out of Portland, OR.

I'd encourage you to call Alaska and discuss your concerns.
ttf_JSBassTrb

Post by ttf_JSBassTrb »

Thanks guys.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

I have flown on Alaska twice....4 flights round trip each time. In my opinion it is the best-run U.S. airline on which I have ever flown, and the flight attendants/gate people were incredibly helpful with my big, ugly SKB Universal case. I was allowed early boarding on all 8 separate flights, and when on one of them the case didn't fit in the overhead they made room for it in the closet. No bad vibes, just friendly, competent service.

Try them. You'll be as surprised as was I.

S.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Quote from: RMTrombone on Apr 15, 2017, 02:14PMThe Q400 HAS NO LUGGAGE RACKS FOR CARRY-ONS.

Might be an airline choice. I've flown on Q-series a couple times (United Express or AC Rouge, not sure), and they had overhead (albeit small ones).
ttf_JSBassTrb

Post by ttf_JSBassTrb »

Quote from: sabutin on Apr 16, 2017, 08:57AMI have flown on Alaska twice....4 flights round trip each time. In my opinion it is the best-run U.S. airline on which I have ever flown, and the flight attendants/gate people were incredibly helpful with my big, ugly SKB Universal case. I was allowed early boarding on all 8 separate flights, and when on one of them the case didn't fit in the overhead they made room for it in the closet. No bad vibes, just friendly, competent service.

Try them. You'll be as surprised as was I.

S.

Thanks!
ttf_baroquetrombone

Post by ttf_baroquetrombone »

Quote from: Le.Tromboniste on Apr 16, 2017, 09:11AMMight be an airline choice. I've flown on Q-series a couple times (United Express or AC Rouge, not sure), and they had overhead (albeit small ones).

Porter's Q400s have overheads too. The only commercial plane I fly that doesn't have overheads is the 19 passenger Air Canada Beechcraft (BDL-YYZ).
ttf_baroquetrombone

Post by ttf_baroquetrombone »

Quote from: Le.Tromboniste on Apr 16, 2017, 09:11AMMight be an airline choice. I've flown on Q-series a couple times (United Express or AC Rouge, not sure), and they had overhead (albeit small ones).

Porter's Q400s have overheads too. The only commercial plane I fly that doesn't have overheads is the 19 passenger Air Canada Beechcraft (BDL-YYZ).

Return to “Musical Miscellany”