Inguinal Hernia Repair - When can I start playing again safely?

ttf_Chris Dearth

Post by ttf_Chris Dearth »

Greetings all,

I had Inguinal Hernia repair about a week and a half ago and was wondering when is a safe interval to begin playing the horn again. Doc told me 4 days, but that seemed a little soon to me. Obviously I don't want to go through again anytime soon, so I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have plenty of time till next orchestra gig (mid Septeber), so I've got time to heal.

For those of you who've had this done, what are your experiences? Thoughts?

Thanks a bunch!!

Chris
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Take it easy at first.  No loud playing.  Nothing that really uses the abs.  Be sensitive to any odd feelings in your abdomen.

I bet you have weight lifting limitations.  When my father-in-law had an Inguinal hernia repair he wasn't allowed to carry his luggage on a tour.

I have an umbilical hernia that I have had for many years now and the doctor says as long as it isn't hurting (or hurting anything) to leave it.  That's not the usual recommendation for Inguinals though.
ttf_Catastrophone

Post by ttf_Catastrophone »

I had an umbilical hernia fixed last month. The op was on a Saturday and I did my first bit of practice the Wednesday after and taught on the Thursday and Friday. First gig back was the following Monday which was fine although it wasn't a heavy blow. A couple of loud big band gigs a week after that worried me, but again all was fine.

The surgeon was insistent I'd be ok to play within a few days and that I wouldn't damage myself. His general advice was any activities are fine if they don't hurt. His only hard rule was no heavy lifting for six weeks.
ttf_Catastrophone

Post by ttf_Catastrophone »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jul 23, 2017, 11:00AMI have an umbilical hernia that I have had for many years now and the doctor says as long as it isn't hurting (or hurting anything) to leave it.  That's not the usual recommendation for Inguinals though.

I'd be careful about that. Mine was fine for years until suddenly it really wasn't....
ttf_CJ

Post by ttf_CJ »

They way they do these repairs, a "mesh" is placed on the inside of your abdominal wall so that increased pressure is spread out over a larger area.  So, you can consider the "weakness" in the wall to be better than before you had the hernia.  So, the issue just becomes a matter of the stitches healing.  I would recommend that once your skin has fully healed you should be good to go.  Let pain be your guide.  Definitely don't play if you're on meds.  You won't know whether you're overdoing it. 
ttf_Chris Dearth

Post by ttf_Chris Dearth »

I've almost hit the 2 week point. Everything seems to be feeling relatively decent.  Only used pain meds for 2.5 days (thank God I'm off them; felt like a zombie).

My plan is to ease back into it starting tomorrow.

I've definitely been babying it. I don't want to go through this again anytime soon.
ttf_dershem

Post by ttf_dershem »

I had one of those 8 years ago.  After a week or so, I did a bit of light buzzing and long tones at very low dynamics.  Those let me know  very  well when I was pushing it.  I started actually playing about 3 weeks in, and was back in the saddle within 6 weeks.   Your mileage may vary, as I only took 1/2 pain pill each of the first 2 days.  Just relax and don' push too hard!
ttf_dershem

Post by ttf_dershem »

I had one of those 8 years ago.  After a week or so, I did a bit of light buzzing and long tones at very low dynamics.  Those let me know  very  well when I was pushing it.  I started actually playing about 3 weeks in, and was back in the saddle within 6 weeks.   Your mileage may vary, as I only took 1/2 pain pill each of the first 2 days.  Just relax and don' push too hard!

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”