Tip on relieving mid back pain from playing?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Anyone have any tips on relieving and coping with mid back pain from playing? I've tried a few grips and stretches but they don't seem to help that much.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Strengthen your back muscles with pullups and rows.

relax when you play
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Drink more water.
ttf_cigmar

Post by ttf_cigmar »

Look into Yoga. 
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Do plank exercise regularly.
ttf_sonicsilver

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 28, 2017, 01:11PM
relax when you play

Yes.

The pain is very likely from tension or bad posture, assuming you have no problems standing or sitting or waving your right arm about during other activities.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I had been having quite a bit of mid back pain myself, and finally saw a physical therapist, who worked on my back with heat and massage to loosen up the tight back muscles, and prescribed strengthening exercises to help prevent future pain issue.  So for me it was a combination of loosening the tight muscles as well as strengthening the core muscles.
ttf_conn88plyr

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

I might recommend looking into the Alexander Technique.  One of the most beneficial classes I took in my grad studies was an Alexander course; it's made a real and lasting impact on my playing and how I use my body when I am playing.  Alexander Technique talks a lot about the relationship of the different parts of the body to each other, in particular the core (back, neck, and head) and teaches you how to prevent issues as well as fix existing problems. If there is a qualified Alexander teacher in your area lessons with them may prove useful in giving you some different ideas...
ttf_hassein

Post by ttf_hassein »

Awareness is your best approach. If you're not aware of what you're doing,you'll continue to play in pain. Core strength exercises are a waste of time-they might even make things worse. Read this- http://baye.com/the-myth-of-core-stability/
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Yes to all of that. Also. Get the right chair. I feel ruined after 10 minutes unless my seat is high enough for me knees to bend right. It's easier for my back to stay straight and relaxed. Sometimes I have to stack two chairs or I use a folding stool that works for me.
ttf_wayne88ny

Post by ttf_wayne88ny »

http://triggerpointbook.com/

Fixed my mid back pain.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I would first check my posture, whether it generates some unnecessary tension. Then would eventually look for some "aids" likes grips and stuff. If you are a bass trombone player, maybe check egobrass if everything else fails.
ttf_kbiggs

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

https://sites.google.com/a/mountainpeakmusic.com/mountain-peak-music-buying-guide/trombone/healthy-trombone-playing

The Breathing Book
Cross Training
Move Well and Avoid Injury
Survival Guid
What Every Trombonist Needs to Know
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I got a light, cheap folding stool thats just the right height (20-22"). It fits in my gear bag. Allows me to sti right, so I can breathe better as well. For me, losing some weight has also helped.
ttf_hassein

Post by ttf_hassein »

This is a quote from Doug Elliot a while back-

"Just as with many muscular activities, as you get tired you become less able to hold your correct position, in terms of embouchure and sometimes even holding the horn up.  If you continue past that point your are reinforcing the wrong things - you're not building, you're tearing down.  Then the next day you start where you left off - the same wrong form.  If you continue doing that, you start to get strong in all the wrong ways, and can't get back because you never knew what was really correct."
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 28, 2017, 01:11PMStrengthen your back muscles with pullups and rows.

relax when you play

Also, try doing some sit-ups. Back pain is often caused by weak abdominal muscles.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 28, 2017, 01:11PMStrengthen your back muscles with pullups and rows.

relax when you play

Also, try doing some sit-ups. Back pain is often caused by weak abdominal muscles.

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”