Teeth filing

ttf_baileyman

Teeth filing

Post by ttf_baileyman »

This is probably a risky topic, but I push on regardless...

I have been having trouble with the insides of my cheeks getting torn up after fairly vigorous playing/practice.  It has been a mystery to me how this could be happening.  Until recently, when, I would do some practice, and stop myself in the middle and observe what was happening with the chops.  I found, in my case, I had some powerful muscular action pushing my chops against my teeth.  Since I guess I am now of a certain age, those teeth are worn, and the edges have been sharp in some places. 

Being an enterprising guy, I headed down to the basement and retrieved a small diamond compound file that I use for sharpening things like bandsaws or whatever.  This I used to file some 45 degree bevels onto the apparently offending teeth. 

You might think this would result in unbearable fingernails-on-blackboard feeling, but diamonds cut through enamel, hmmm, like butter?

Anyway, the rough edges are gone.  And after a few days I do not notice the interior shredding.  If this works it is GREAT!

I hesitate to post this as someone might get into teeth sculpting, fangs, etc.  But for taking the rough edges off, this works. 

ttf_BGuttman

Teeth filing

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Probably better if you had a dentist do this.  You could easily remove something that should have been left.  I hope Dr. Ronkny chimes in on this one.
ttf_Nanook

Teeth filing

Post by ttf_Nanook »

You may find this interesting, but horses must have their teeth filed as well  Image...Happy it worked out, I hate going to the doctor too..

Nanook
ttf_ronkny

Teeth filing

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: BGuttman on Aug 30, 2017, 08:27PMProbably better if you had a dentist do this.  You could easily remove something that should have been left.  I hope Dr. Ronkny chimes in on this one.
Well we use diamonds and carbides to "file" teeth all the time. But I think we use a bit more precision.. If his teeth were that sharp I suspect that sharpness will return, depending on what they were sharp in the first place (worn teeth, broken teeth or eroded teeth) and the teeth will need to be filed again. It would be better to let a dentist file/adjust and then polish them. Then get a night guard to protect your teeth so they don't get sharp again. Over the counter ones work ok as long as you don't have tmj or headache issues.
ttf_CJ

Teeth filing

Post by ttf_CJ »

I hope you're joking.

Anyway, you might get yourself checked out for neurological disorders.  I don't say this because of your mental state, but it sounds to me like you might have an insensitivity inside your cheeks.  If you can't tell that you're biting your cheek, it may not be that you have a tooth problem but rather a nerve insensitivity problem.  If you've every had anesthesia from the dentist, you might know that you can get your cheeks torn up because you can't tell that you're biting them.
ttf_CJ

Teeth filing

Post by ttf_CJ »

I hope you're joking.

Anyway, you might get yourself checked out for neurological disorders.  I don't say this because of your mental state, but it sounds to me like you might have an insensitivity inside your cheeks.  If you can't tell that you're biting your cheek, it may not be that you have a tooth problem but rather a nerve insensitivity problem.  If you've every had anesthesia from the dentist, you might know that you can get your cheeks torn up because you can't tell that you're biting them.

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”