Playing after Periodontal Surgery

ttf_Pteranabone

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

I had periodontal surgery 5 days ago.  They removed gum and bone above my two front teeth (front and back) and stitched the gum back together.  I was experiencing no pain so tried to play a few notes for the first time last night.  Experienced pain and stopped.  Shifted my mouthpiece to put more pressure on my lower lip and it was less painful, then stopped because I didn't want to develop a bad habit.

The periodontist was not a brass player and had no advice.  He did say that I should expect healing to take 3 months.

I would appreciate any thoughts, advice, or experiences from anyone on the forum who has gone through this.  Thanks.
ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: Pteranabone on Sep 30, 2017, 09:39AMI had periodontal surgery 5 days ago.  They removed gum and bone above my two front teeth (front and back) and stitched the gum back together.  I was experiencing no pain so tried to play a few notes for the first time last night.  Experienced pain and stopped.  Shifted my mouthpiece to put more pressure on my lower lip and it was less painful, then stopped because I didn't want to develop a bad habit.

The periodontist was not a brass player and had no advice.  He did say that I should expect healing to take 3 months.

I would appreciate any thoughts, advice, or experiences from anyone on the forum who has gone through this.  Thanks.
I’m a dentist and a trombone player.  Full healing will take at least three months. However, now that the stitches are basically resorbed or gone and initial healing has taken place, you should be able to play as long as you’re not hurting. One caveat is that I don’t know what your bite looks like, if your teeth are mobile and how much bone you have left around those teeth.  I wouldn’t want your teeth to move. I don’t think they would but I’m just being overly cautious if you have lots of bone loss since I can’t see your X-rays.
ttf_Pteranabone

Wow.  How fortunate to have a dentist trombonist on the forum.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Very little bone was removed; mostly gum.  I will take it slowly.  Thanks again.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I also have a question regarding playing after dental work. I had my rear molar on the lower left side removed yesterday and wondering when it would be safe to start playing again as I don't want to cause damage to the blood clot in the socket.

Also what effect will the missing tooth have on ones tone and tonguing?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

A molar won't have as much effect on your tongue or tonguing unless the teeth move in response to the surgery

There is a recommendation given by a few folks here (including Ronkny) of a couple of weeks, but you should do a search to find the threads.  My memory isn't that good lately.
ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: ldmitruk on Oct 18, 2017, 07:44AMI also have a question regarding playing after dental work. I had my rear molar on the lower left side removed yesterday and wondering when it would be safe to start playing again as I don't want to cause damage to the blood clot in the socket.

Also what effect will the missing tooth have on ones tone and tonguing?
Wait 24 hours. Unless you have sutures in then it's 5 days. Then you won't disturb the clot and end up with a dry socket. After 24 hours it will just depend on how sore you are. But the risk of dry socket is pretty much gone after 24 hours.
ttf_ldmitruk

Post by ttf_ldmitruk »

Quote from: ronkny on Oct 18, 2017, 08:29AMWait 24 hours. Unless you have sutures in then it's 5 days. Then you won't disturb the clot and end up with a dry socket. After 24 hours it will just depend on how sore you are. But the risk of dry socket is pretty much gone after 24 hours.

Thanks!
ttf_Max Croot

Post by ttf_Max Croot »

Hi. When I was a child they just pulled out teeth and you took your chances. We are very lucky in this day and age to be able to get the treatment that is available today.I had very crooked teeth and my bottom teeth are still very crooked. Prior to world war 2 I was taken to the dentist with crooked teeth. The dentist took out 4 of my back teeth, 2 upper and 2 lower. Cost 15cents each or 25 cents with a needle. He said that the teeth would the straighten out. When the war began most of the young dentists went into the services and old dentists came out of retirement. I was practising my trombone and I had trouble with a front tooth. When I went to the dentist he pulled the tooth out. Had trouble playing but I persevered. I got a plate made but it was no good and kept dropping when I played. My father worked as a radio announcer on ABC radio and the ABC had a band called "The National Military Band "conducted by Stephen Yorke and the euphonium player had false teeth and my father asked him who made them and I went to see a dental technician who he recommended. By this time I was studying trombone full time and still having teeth problems. This lady was very good and had made a study of brass players and as a result she made me a small denture out of a material, I think it was called betalium. After it was fitted I had no further problems. My bottom teeth are still crooked and I still have that little denture and I have had it for 68 years. My dentist is also a trumpet player. I suppose I am lucky to still have most of my teeth at my age and still be playing. Currently rehearsing The Little Mermaid. Cheers Max
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I'm sure Ronkny has given you excellent advice here, and wouldn't begin to question his advice as a professional.  When I see these posts I do question why people don't ask these questions of the medical professionals who perform the procedures and are the most knowledgeable about their particular surgery.   

ttf_Pteranabone

Quote from: Radar on Nov 23, 2017, 05:12PMI'm sure Ronkny has given you excellent advice here, and wouldn't begin to question his advice as a professional.  When I see these posts I do question why people don't ask these questions of the medical professionals who perform the procedures and are the most knowledgeable about their particular surgery.   

x
My doctor is not a brass player.  He provided advice from the perspective of post-operative care, but lacked the knowledge to address the impact of the surgery on brass playing.  I sought advice from forum members because I didn't want to start practicing too early and mess up my embrouchure, etc. by improperly placing the mouthpiece or making other changes.
ttf_Pteranabone

Quote from: Radar on Nov 23, 2017, 05:12PMI'm sure Ronkny has given you excellent advice here, and wouldn't begin to question his advice as a professional.  When I see these posts I do question why people don't ask these questions of the medical professionals who perform the procedures and are the most knowledgeable about their particular surgery.   

x
My doctor is not a brass player.  He provided advice from the perspective of post-operative care, but lacked the knowledge to address the impact of the surgery on brass playing.  I sought advice from forum members because I didn't want to start practicing too early and mess up my embrouchure, etc. by improperly placing the mouthpiece or making other changes.

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”