Shingles

ttf_Doug Elliott

Shingles

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Just a reminder to the older members here...

When a red rash appeared across one side of my chest a couple of nights ago I just thought it was some kind of contact dermatitis but I couldn't imagine what it was from.

24 hours later it appeared on my back too, and my wife said "Shingles, get to a clinic immediately."

2:00am on December 31st....  emergency room was the only option.  Got Valtrex and Prednisone started, only about 24 hours after it appeared, so that's excellent.

There hasn't been any pain - I might have recognized it sooner if there had been the usual stabbing pain.  I really don't feel it at all, hopefully that will continue.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Shingles

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I heard that there is a new vaccine out that is supposed to be very effective.

Good luck Doug. I hope it heals up quickly. My aunt had that one time and it was very uncomfortable.
ttf_BGuttman

Shingles

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

My mother-in-law had it and she really felt bad.  They gave me a shot about 2 years ago, but my e-chart tells me I'm due for another.  I have a doctor appointment in 3 weeks, and I guess I'll get it then.

Good luck, Doug.  Usually it doesn't hit people as young as you.
ttf_LowrBrass

Shingles

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

I had a mild episode in college. Stress can screw with your health at any age.

Feel better soon. Hope it clears up quickly.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Shingles

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 01, 2018, 05:43PMUsually it doesn't hit people as young as you.
Ha! You don't even know.  I'm the right age for it.
ttf_Graham Martin

Shingles

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Jan 01, 2018, 05:41PMI heard that there is a new vaccine out that is supposed to be very effective.

Good luck Doug. I hope it heals up quickly. My aunt had that one time and it was very uncomfortable.

Yes indeed.

Re that vaccine. There is a National Shingles Vaccination Program available in Australia which provides free shingles vaccination to all people aged 70 years old, with a five-year catch‑up program for people aged 71-79 years old until 31 October 2021. Those who are not eligible for a free vaccine can purchase it with a prescription from their vaccination provider.

The cost is fully recoverable from Medicare - Australia's universal health care system, which is the primary health scheme that subsidises most medical costs in Australia for all Australian citizens and permanent residents.

Local doctors remind you about getting the vaccination when they are checking your records at your free yearly medical. At least, mine does. Image
ttf_Doug Elliott

Shingles

I was going to get around to it eventually...
Kind of like the Honda and Toyota airbag recall... I guess it's time for that too.
ttf_robcat2075

Shingles

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

There is a new, new Shingles vaccine, Shingrix

No Excuses, People: Get the New Shingles Vaccine

Quote“This really looks to be a breakthrough in vaccinating older adults,” agreed Dr. Jeffrey Cohen, a physician and researcher at the National Institutes of Health.

What’s causing the enthusiasm: Shingrix, which the pharmaceutical firm GlaxoSmithKline intends to begin shipping this month. Large international trials have shown that the vaccine prevents more than 90 percent of shingles cases, even at older ages.

The currently available shingles vaccine, called Zostavax, only prevents about half of shingles cases in those over age 60 and has demonstrated far less effectiveness among elderly patients.

Yet those are the people most at risk for this blistering disease, with its often intense pain, its threat to vision and the associated nerve pain that sometimes last months, even years, after the initial rash fades.

Almost all older Americans harbor the varicella zoster virus that causes shingles; they acquired it with childhood chickenpox, whether they knew they had the disease or not.

The virus stays dormant until, for unknown reasons, it erupts decades later. The risk rises sharply after age 50.

Shingles is hardly a minor menace. “A million cases occur in the United States each and every year,” Dr. Schaffner said. “If you’re fortunate enough to reach your 80th birthday, you stand a one-in-three to one-in-two chance of shingles.”

Preventing the great majority of these cases — along with the risk of lingering and debilitating nerve pain, called postherpetic neuralgia — would represent a major advance in public health.

So while the old vaccine will remain on the market, the C.D.C. committee voted to make Shingrix the preferred vaccine and recommended it for all adults over age 50 — a group younger by a decade than those earlier encouraged to get Zostavax.
ttf_amichael

Shingles

Post by ttf_amichael »

Ouch.  I had it a few years ago when I was traveling. My doctor could prescribe acyclovir across state lines but not the opioids for pain.

The new vaccine is worth being aware of. It is more effective and is a dead vaccine and so many more people are eligible for it. I was not eligible for the old one but am looking forward to getting the new one.

Heal fast, Doug.
ttf_sterb225

Shingles

Post by ttf_sterb225 »

Sorry to hear that.  Shingles will recalibrate your pain threshold in a hurry ... a bad case can be brutal. 
ttf_Doug Elliott

Shingles

I'm well aware of how painful it can be, but as of now I still barely even feel it at all.
ttf_hyperbolica

Shingles

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I was diagnosed with chicken pox 3 times. I'm aware that's not supposed to be possible, so I suspect one of those times may have been shingles. The last time I was 21 years old in the Navy I had chills and a 104 deg temperature along with splitting headaches. The Navy doctor told me to quit faking it and go back to work.
ttf_Ellrod

Shingles

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I had a bout with it a few years ago. We caught it early. There was concern about it affecting my eyes and my family physician walked me across the hall to the ophth. Fortunately, no problems.

I don’t remember much more than that, so obviously a minor case.
ttf_norbie2009

Shingles

Post by ttf_norbie2009 »

I recently had a bad case and I'm only 47. It HURT! I also have a few scars to prove it. I'm glad for you because it sounds as if you caught it early. I did not.
ttf_timothy42b

Shingles

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I asked my doc about the vaccine last visit, he said the older you get the less effective it is.  It's probably worth doing but marginally, and kind of expensive -$300  - $500 range I think.

I didn't know about the new one.  I'll ask him this month at my regular followup.  I had chicken pox at age 9, missed the last few weeks of school.  The teacher said just stay home, no way she was risking catching it. 
ttf_Doug Elliott

Shingles

Quote from: timothy42b on Jan 02, 2018, 05:37PM missed the last few weeks of school.That explains a lot.  Image
ttf_kbiggs

Shingles

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Jan 01, 2018, 05:32PM
Got Valtrex and Prednisone started, only about 24 hours after it appeared, so that's excellent.

There hasn't been any pain - I might have recognized it sooner if there had been the usual stabbing pain.  I really don't feel it at all, hopefully that will continue.

This is very similar to what happened to me about 10 years ago—I was only 45! I was prescribed the same things at that time. About 7 years before that, my wife had a case of shingles. She was about 5 months pregnant at the time. Nothing but Tylenol for her!
ttf_kbiggs

Shingles

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Jan 01, 2018, 05:32PM
Got Valtrex and Prednisone started, only about 24 hours after it appeared, so that's excellent.

This is very similar to what happened to me about 10 years ago—I was only 45! I was prescribed the same things at that time. About 7 years before that, my wife had a case of shingles. She was about 5 months pregnant at the time. Nothing but Tylenol for her!

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”