Aussie Flu

ttf_Graham Martin

Aussie Flu

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

With the current flu season in the UK, Australia is now being blamed for one strain that is particularly bad. It is being called "Aussie Flu". Image One British tabloid carried the headline, "DEADLY AUSSIE VIRUS SPREADS ACROSS BRITAIN - FLUNITED KINGDOM". Some Poms are saying that, not only do we clobber them in the Ashes Test cricket, but now we are getting at them with our diseases.

It was dubbed "Aussie flu" because it was the same type observed during our Australian winter, in which more than 170,000 people contracted the flu.

Although we did suffer considerable and some people in Australia ended up in hospital with some dying, it did not really develop in Australia. So-called Aussie Flue is actually variant of the H3N2 subtype of the influenza A virus. It is normal these days that all strains of flu tend to mutate and change, and Australia often experiences the newest strain first.

However, you guys in the Northern Hemisphere experiencing the Winter months should make absolutely sure that you get your flu injection - one that caters for the newest strains. UK health authorities said their local flu immunisation had been updated and would offer some protection from the Aussie flu. However, it is true that Aussies are world travellers on a bigger scale than many other countries and we do help to spread flu viruses. Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Aussie Flu

I was surprised that you transferred this Bruce, because it was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Image

But, thinking about it in medical terms, my tip about getting your flu injection before the season starts is a really good one. I have not even had a cold, let alone the flu, in the last 16 years since I have been getting my free injection every year.

So, get yours before that dreadful Aussie flu gets you! Image  Even if it's not free in your country, it's worth it for the peace of mind. Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Aussie Flu

I was surprised that you transferred this Bruce, because it was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Image

But, thinking about it in medical terms, my tip about getting your flu injection before the season starts is a really good one. I have not even had a cold, let alone the flu, in the last 16 years since I have been getting my free injection every year.

So, get yours before that dreadful Aussie flu gets you! Image  Even if it's not free in your country, it's worth it for the peace of mind. Image

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”