tingling in left wrist/forearm

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi,
I've been playing for years now, and since I've been playing for more than like 2 hours my left wrist starts tingling, almost like I'm being stabbed. I'm hypermobile (a condition where the ligaments are too long making it so that my joints are less stable) if that could be a factor, and I do the finger gun thing when holding my instrument.

Does anyone else have this problem? if so what exactly is it and should I be worried?
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I get this sometimes. It's caused by nerves and tension in my left shoulder, at least for me. I usually can roll it out with a tennis ball against the wall or a nice massage.
ttf_JGordon

Post by ttf_JGordon »

I have had tingling in my right hand.  Nerve impingement is probably the cause.  Stretching can help.  Physical therapy can help by giving you appropriate exercises.  Sometimes massage can help. 

If it is an option, you might try playing less for a while until the nerve situation calms itself down.  I recently went through an episode during which my right arm was tingling and as a result I spent some time practicing on a flugabone I own rather than on my trombone.  That didn't seem to set off the injury the same way as pushing around the slide did.

I am not a doctor but I understand that nerve pain can be serious.  Under some circumstances, for example, you could eventually lose some hand strength.  Also, the pain can become more constant and then it is hard to sleep and can be pretty obnoxious.  My suggestion is to take the condition seriously.
ttf_hassein

Post by ttf_hassein »

You'll want to look at how much time you spend practicing before you take a break. Do you pick up your phone and start texting during a break? Are you spending a lot of time at your computer? These days there are many opportunities for overuse. Playing any instrument is an athletic event. Athletes in any given sport have routines they do off the field in order to be in top form during their event. As musicians, we need different exercises that relate directly what we do. The best way to solve overuse problems is to first know what you're doing, then make corrections. Stretching, Mobilization exercises usually help to see where your limitations and tensions are. You say you're hyper mobile, but you probably still have a fair amount of tension. You need to know where the tension is before you do any strengthening so you don't add fitness to dysfunction. Awareness is a great tool if you develop it.
ttf_johntarr

Post by ttf_johntarr »

Quote from: hassein on Today at 06:24 AMYou'll want to look at how much time you spend practicing before you take a break. Do you pick up your phone and start texting during a break? Are you spending a lot of time at your computer? These days there are many opportunities for overuse. Playing any instrument is an athletic event. Athletes in any given sport have routines they do off the field in order to be in top form during their event. As musicians, we need different exercises that relate directly what we do. The best way to solve overuse problems is to first know what you're doing, then make corrections. Stretching, Mobilization exercises usually help to see where your limitations and tensions are. You say you're hyper mobile, but you probably still have a fair amount of tension. You need to know where the tension is before you do any strengthening so you don't add fitness to dysfunction. Awareness is a great tool if you develop it.

Hassein’s post is right on. Awareness is key. How much tension are you using while playing, and, while doing other things. Playing injuries can be the tip of the iceberg of a much more global (as in lifestyle, self image and self use) problem.
ttf_johntarr

Post by ttf_johntarr »

Quote from: hassein on Today at 06:24 AMYou'll want to look at how much time you spend practicing before you take a break. Do you pick up your phone and start texting during a break? Are you spending a lot of time at your computer? These days there are many opportunities for overuse. Playing any instrument is an athletic event. Athletes in any given sport have routines they do off the field in order to be in top form during their event. As musicians, we need different exercises that relate directly what we do. The best way to solve overuse problems is to first know what you're doing, then make corrections. Stretching, Mobilization exercises usually help to see where your limitations and tensions are. You say you're hyper mobile, but you probably still have a fair amount of tension. You need to know where the tension is before you do any strengthening so you don't add fitness to dysfunction. Awareness is a great tool if you develop it.

Hassein’s post is right on. Awareness is key. How much tension are you using while playing, and, while doing other things. Playing injuries can be the tip of the iceberg of a much more global (as in lifestyle, self image and self use) problem.

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”