asthma...anyone else have to put up with it?

ttf_s3si1u

Post by ttf_s3si1u »

So here's a little background. I was born with asthma, it used to get to me all the time. Once I started music the asthma kinda went away. But yesterday morning, it hit me again. I felt horrible. I skipped school and work and had to cancel my lesson today. Like lots of us here, I'm studying to become a professional musician. Anyone else have to deal with asthma? Any tips to keep it under control? I want to pick up my trombone again as soon as possible
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

See a doctor.  They have things called "rescue inhalers" that can alleviate asthma symptoms.  You take one or two puffs and get on with your life.

Long term, you need to find out what triggers the asthma.  And get it out of your life.  I had asthma as a kid that we traced to feather pillows.  So I don't use them.  When I travel I have a special bag that I can put over a feather pillow to keep the little hairs inside.  My wife loves feather pillows, but we make sure they are nowhere near me (separate twin beds).

We have a friend who gets attacks from musty books.  We purged her library one time and she has to be careful frequenting certain stores.

ttf_John Beers Jr.

Post by ttf_John Beers Jr. »

Norman Bolter apparently suffers from asthma and has had to work on the "efficiency" of his embouchure more than most people due to his reduced lung capacity.

He gives some ideas on it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUVqmpyfIA

Proves, at least, that if you put the work in there's no "glass ceiling" for asthmatic trombonists.
ttf_ivanandrade

Post by ttf_ivanandrade »

I take Zyrtec, Advair and for emergencies Albuterol

Spring is the worst time for me due to my allergies, during the year Zyrtec is good enough, Spring and part of Summer I have to take Zyrtec and Advair

the best thing to can do go to a doctor to be checked and see what you need to control the asthma
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

If the attacks are really killing you, I know lots of strenuous exercise "solved" my asthma. I still have reduced capacity (as far as I know) but I haven't been plagued by attacks since then, and I live at 7220 feet above sea level.
Otherwise, get an inhaler and use it before you play. It really helped me back in the day.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

I got kicked out of Basic Training about 17 years ago because of an asthma attack - didn't really know i had it until then.  I used an inhaler for a while and it went away so i stopped carrying an inhaler.  I had another attack about 4 years ago, relaxing and not panicking kept it under control - i used an inhaler for a few months then lost and haven't had one since.  I don't think it has effected my playing - in fact i think playing helps.
ttf_davetrombizzle

Post by ttf_davetrombizzle »

My triggers are exercising in cold-air, and cats.

The exercising in cold-air I manage by albuterol inhaler.  Also the more regularly I exercise and stay in shape, thet less symptomatic I am, to the point of no symptoms.  Symptoms are only when the exercise is strenuous, and the air is COLD.

Cats I only admire from a distance and I regretfully have to stay away from my friends houses who have cats.
ttf_Patrick Bates

Post by ttf_Patrick Bates »

salbutamol (immediate relief) and flovent (anti inflamatory steriod).
Lots of good advice here, find out what triggers it. I'm pretty sure trombone playing helps me, as well as exercise.
First bad bout was brought on by a ragweed allergy, now I'm a little more prone to problems. Currently getting over a cold that turned into pnuemonia, doctor said use both inhalers for the next 6 weeks.......
ttf_Patrick Bates

Quote from: Patrick Bates on Feb 12, 2011, 10:11AMsalbutamol (immediate relief) and flovent (anti inflamatory steriod).
Lots of good advice here, find out what triggers it. I'm pretty sure trombone playing helps me, as well as exercise.
First bad bout was brought on by a ragweed allergy, now I'm a little more prone to problems. Currently getting over a cold that turned into pnuemonia, doctor said use both inhalers for the next 6 weeks....... Haven't used them in probably 2 or 3 years.

<Edit - Quote fixed by Administrator>

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I do have asthma and I'm in the same boat as you right now, but probably not as worse. I've caught a bug here in AZ that's playing hell with my breathing, especially since I've had asthma since 5th grade. There are a few things that I do to keep it under control:
First of all, see a doctor so you can know what kind of medicine you should be taking. I'm prescribed to albuterol, that works best for me.
1)Inhalers. They're your best friend. Keep them on your stand and use them. Only use the 'rescue' inhaler, not an inhalable steroid.
2)Invest in a breathing machine
ttf_JESimmons

Post by ttf_JESimmons »

I'll dig up this old thread.  I played through high school and college with my teachers constantly yelling at me to fill up the horn.  I received little training in other areas because my ability to play long phrases was so limited.  I quit playing.  When I was 42-years old, I moved to another state, got new doctors, and was asked what I did about my asthma - it was the first time I had been diagnosed.  Now I knew why I was unable to fill up the horn.

Now, at 65, I have returned to trombone playing.  I'm working at being more efficient and simply learning to play musically with shorter phrases.  I'm having the time of my life.

By all means, first learn what your triggers are.  Unfortunately, the most effective long-term medication for a lot of people was banned by the EPA a few years ago.  According to the FDA, the medicine was perfectly safe for me to inhale directly into my lungs, but the EPA said that if I breathed it back out it would destroy the environment.

If anyone has tricks for dealing with asthma specifically for trombone playing, I'd love to see you post.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Get a volumetric exerciser.  I love using mine, it forces you to take an effective and full breath.  Image
ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

I'm a trombonist with asthma and a doctor.  Some good suggestions above.  If you have identifiable triggers, then by all means avoid them if possible, but some are ubiquitous.

Medical management of asthma has come some way over the past 20 years or so, and if you have symptoms more than once or twice a week, some sort of "preventer" medication is generally very helpful when used regularly -- whether a steroid inhaler, which may also be in combination with a long-acting beta agonist (LABA, essentially a long-acting version of albuterol), or especially for exercise-induced symptoms, a leukotriene receptor antagonist taken in tablet form (e.g. Montelukast).  There are also several older and now much less widely prescribed medications based on caffeine analogues (e.g. Nuelin).  Albuterol (or Salbutamol where I come from) is the most widely-used "reliever" or "rescue" inhaler, sometimes used in combination with Ipratropium bromide.  Another commonly used reliever is Terbutaline, a drug very similar to Albuterol.

Bottom line, this should all be bread-and-butter to any family physician, so if you think you may have episodic breathing problems, get a diagnosis and a management plan tailored for you.
ttf_Brer Cottonmouth

Post by ttf_Brer Cottonmouth »

I read a while ago about a trombone player who was having weird breathing issues that cleared up when he went on vacation and took a break from his horn. Turns out, he was raising some nasty bacteria in there, and cleaning it out made all the difference. Evidently, he was cured. Ever since I read that, I've been pouring isopropyl alcohol into my horns once in a while. I don't recommend that (or rather, I'm not certain that it's a good idea), but it hasn't hurt any of my late '40s Olds yet. And I haven't developed any lung issues. So I'm just throwing this post out as a possibility. Good health!
ttf_Patrick Bates

Quote from: Patrick Bates on Feb 12, 2011, 10:12AM Haven't used them in probably 2 or 3 years.

<Edit - Quote fixed by Administrator>

Got messed up twice this winter, wound up on prednezone the 1st time after riding it out with the salbutamol and flovent for about 3 weeks.  Been there done that about 3 other times in the last 15 years.. Doc sent me to an asthma cinic, changed drugs to Symbicort and no more issues (so far). Not sure what the triggers were this time, no ragweed this time of year and the allergy tests at the clinic showed ragweed and a minor in cat, but no cats in the house. Playin ghelps, the asthma clinic measured my capacity at about 4 litres and I showed up with almost no symptoms. Best I've ever measured.... We'll see what it measures when I go back in 6 months.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My trigger is cold air and humid air, so most of marching season I am not able to play as long of phrases and not as loud as I would like to. 
The main problem I have with my asthma is that I don't get attacks I get a slow build up of the symptoms that sneaks up on my so I will end up panting on the ground suddenly after realizing that I wasn't actually feeling out of breath but that is was my asthma, so I never have a chance to take my inhaler while the symptoms are still mild.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I can't believe I didn't post this a few months ago when I responded the first time.

I've been on a long, arduous journey concerning my pulmonary function.  For a significant portion of my life (2nd grade -> jr year of college), my doctors insisted that I had asthma.  Actue, chronic asthma (30% lung function) consistently.  I went for a 12th opinion at UPMC in Pittsburgh where it took the Pulmonologist approximately 10 seconds of looking at my CT scan that I did not, in fact, have asthma.  However, my symptoms were identical to asthma, but we couldn't figure out what it was.  So I went to see an allergist who recommended I go on an elimination diet to figure out if I had any food intolerances.  Oh, forgot to mention, the skin allergy tests don't work on me. I'm apparently not allergic to the "control" spot, histamine.  Image

So for a number of years I assumed that I was allergic to a plethora of items, the most notable were gluten and lactose.  I avoided them, and I felt much better, lung function was up significantly, 100%.  However, this was inconsistent, but I couldn't find all of the variables.  Cold weather and exercise caused bronchial spasms, but nothing else caused my problems 100% of the time, yet I still had problems. 

Long story short, a few months ago I started doing nutritional research, reading from a variety of nutritionists about a variety of diets and supplementation.  I started on the Genotype Diet, which is based on your blood type as well as a few other genetic factors, ("Change your Genetic Density" by Dr. D'Adamo) which led to the most consistent results by leaps and bounds.  When I followed the diet exactly as prescribed, I felt great and I could exercise!  However, every once in awhile I would have the same problem. So I continued to read.  I stumbled upon "The Magnesium Miracle" (by Dr. Dean), which outlined a very similar diet for asthmatics and those with lung problems to the diet prescribed in the Genetic Density diet prescribed for people of my blood type and genetics, but the reasoning wasn't genetics to Dr. Dean, it was about insufficient magnesium.  Basically calcium and magnesium are two of the most important elements in the body, but we're loaded on calcium on our contemporary diets. 

A rudimentary explanation is that: Calcium tightens muscles while magnesium relaxes them.  Both are needed, yet magnesium is not properly supplemented in our modern diets.  Phosphorous fertilizers are absorbed by plants more readily than magnesium, so we consume less of it than people did when we were a more agrarian society.  There are numerous complications to having insufficient Magnesium, and one of them is asthma and asthma like symptoms.  The calcium causes Bronchial contraction, and proper supplementation of Magnesium causes Bronchial dilation.  Specifically Magnesium Citrate for those with asthma, not the stuff you generally find in stores which is Magnesium Oxide.  I got mine on Amazon for a few bucks and WOW.  I take 200mg/3 times daily (60 minutes after meals) and I have never felt better in my life. 

That said, I'm not a doctor, so don't take medical advice from me.  However, I would highly recommend reading the two books that I mentioned if you have asthma.  The worst case scenario is you're out like $12 for the books if you decide it isn't your thing.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Hey Matt - what foods do you recommend for upping one's magnesium intake?

I've been "eating better" - not so much for the asthma but because I really like bacon and i don't want to have to stop eating bacon so i cut down drastically on the fatty stuff.  I also get more veggies.  I should consider something more structured.  Cutting way down on Dairy and white starchy foods has definitely made me healthier.

A also eat loads of raw honey and oranges.

About to go for a bike ride... it'll be 93º in an hour.  Yum!
ttf_thetuningslide

Post by ttf_thetuningslide »

Dig it up again, shall we?

I was diagnosed with Asthma at age 4. I've assesed my triggers. They happen to be cats and my pollen allergies. I take allergy medicine every day, and always take my inhaler before practice, but it always becomes unbearable while marching. If we're stationary, I can blow away and be the loudest in the band. But once that extra oxygen is needed for my muscles, I crumble. I always get the need to exhale, which is because I can't push enough air, I'm guessing. And by the end of the practice, I've taken a total of 6-8 puffs of medicine. I've read up on overdosing, and this stuff is lethal. Makes your heart beat really fast. I don't think I've felt any signs of it after or during practices. I'm currently playing an old 50H (.525). Should I go to a small bore, or would that just make the inability to push air quickly enough more of a problem? I tried marching a 5b one season. Killed my arms and my lips were dead really quickly. There's a portion of our Memorial Day Parade where I go up to a high G in "America, the Beautiful". Tried it with a 6.5AL and it's hard (after playing 2 songs and 3 quarters of the song that the part is in).

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

It sounds like your asthma is not very serious if playing trombone was all it took to alleviate it.

Start hiking and jogging. Take it really easy at first.  This has solved many a Soldier's asthma.
ttf_thetuningslide

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on May 27, 2016, 08:11PMIt sounds like your asthma is not very serious if playing trombone was all it took to alleviate it.

Start hiking and jogging. Take it really easy at first.  This has solved many a Soldier's asthma.
It gets pretty bad if it's triggered, or if I'm sick. Problem is, I can't do much outdoor stuff on my feet because they're flat as boards. Due to my flat feet, I walk with my toes pointed outward, causing stress to be put on my knees, ankles, and pelvis the wrong way. Any hard impact on my feet or uneven terrain results in severe pain in my ankles, and eventually my knees. I try to swim frequently, but unfortunately, I can only do it in the summer.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Harrison isn't a doctor - take any medical advice with a huge grain of salt.
ttf_thetuningslide

Quote from: Exzaclee on May 27, 2016, 11:02PMHarrison isn't a doctor - take any medical advice with a huge grain of salt.
Lol, I'm just saying that I've already tried gradual exercise and it doesn't really work for me. Heck, I can barely walk after the first day of band camp, then I have to do it for 4 more days plus practices after camp. You'd think sleeping would help, but it feels like it just makes he hour stiff, so it's like breaking the stiffness apart when i get up in the morning.
ttf_JESimmons

Post by ttf_JESimmons »

Be careful - exercise can also be a trigger. 
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Quote from: Exzaclee on May 27, 2016, 11:02PMHarrison isn't a doctor - take any medical advice with a huge grain of salt.

Quite right. Please refer to the disclaimer at the top of this "Healthy Trombonist" board.

That said, I've seen dudes with "flat" feet march them back to normal in a three month period at the infantry school at Fort Benning. Hard boots with no support, a heavy pack, and staying on the balls of their feet reshaped the foot. Bruises like you wouldn't believe on the top of their feet. Towards the end of the school they got these bony tough feet with high arches.

I've also seen these same dudes with asthma get real lean and turn into runners in the same amount of time. The human body is amazing.

But yes, please don't try to do anything that will injure or hurt you.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

exercise helped me a little - although running too hard will put me down if i'm not careful. I don't worry about it, I run a little bit - no more 7 miles and sprint the last quarter mile. 1.5-2 miles is the most I'll run unless I have an angry mob after me.

exercise doesn't help everyone - hell, It'd kill some people with severe asthma.

playing (the "right way") teaches breathing discipline - that's my theory anyway. I don't think it's a random coincidence that I had my first attack during the a month long break from playing. A couple of random attacks since then and nothing I can't handle. I think it's the horn keeps me healthy...

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on May 28, 2016, 09:06AMQuite right. Please refer to the disclaimer at the top of this "Healthy Trombonist" board.

That said, I've seen dudes with "flat" feet march them back to normal in a three month period at the infantry school at Fort Benning. Hard boots with no support, a heavy pack, and staying on the balls of their feet reshaped the foot. Bruises like you wouldn't believe on the top of their feet. Towards the end of the school they got these bony tough feet with high arches.

I've also seen these same dudes with asthma get real lean and turn into runners in the same amount of time. The human body is amazing.

But yes, please don't try to do anything that will injure or hurt you.

I came back from basic 40 lbs heavier and an inch taller with a right cross that wouldn't quit (I was 5'11 and 125 soaking wet when I went in).  I also got kicked out of the army. Running wasn't the problem. Staying conscious after 6miles in the morning was. I worked hard so it doesn't effect me, but I know my limits. I want "running with bulls", not "asthma attack" on my tombstone.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Jun 11, 2013, 08:56AMHey Matt - what foods do you recommend for upping one's magnesium intake?

I've been "eating better" - not so much for the asthma but because I really like bacon and i don't want to have to stop eating bacon so i cut down drastically on the fatty stuff.  I also get more veggies.  I should consider something more structured.  Cutting way down on Dairy and white starchy foods has definitely made me healthier.

A also eat loads of raw honey and oranges.

About to go for a bike ride... it'll be 93º in an hour.  Yum!
Not Matt, but...a very late answer from somebody else might be useful as it was a good question.

Spinach, Swiss chard, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, soy beans and lentils are great sources of magnesium.  As well Tuna and mackerel are pretty good sources from the 'meat' side of things.  Pumpkin seeds are probably the best single source.  You can get you full daily requirement from a 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds.

Remember also that potassium is essential for muscle relaxation.  Many of the foods mentioned above, along with avocados, potatoes, mushrooms, and beans are great sources of potassium.

If you prefer meal type sources, I would suggest a large salad made from raw spinach leaves with avocado, mushrooms, shelled pumpkin seeds, tuna, cooked lentils, cherry tomatoes, red onion and bell pepper with your favorite dressing(s).  Makes a great midday meal that can give you all the magnesium and potassium (and a bunch of other things) you need for the day.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

On the asthma side of things, my triggers were various allergies (cats and ragweed being primary).  However it stopped when I started riding dirt bikes.  That may have been coincidental, because I was also going through late puberty at the same time.  For me there was great change in that period.  I went from being a 5' 1", 80lbs 14yo to a 6' and 150lbs 16yo.  I am sure the dirt bike riding was responsible for a lot of the muscle mass, but not sure how it affected the asthma side of thins.  It was great exercise.

I still have the allergies, but since I turned 16 the worst response has been rapid, explosive sneezing which can tear the muscles in my chest.
ttf_W/SBTRB

Post by ttf_W/SBTRB »

I currently teach a local HS student who has asthma. Last year he was first chair everything he audition for including all state band 9-10 grade. This year(now a junior) he was first chair all state jazz. Its not so much as his accomplishments but his determination. He makes extensive use of any breathing activity I give him. He is very intelligent, resourceful, and determined to succeed. He will be his school's drummer major for the marching band this fall.

Some days he comes to his lesson wheezing away and we go on as if he's fine. He is a role model for me.
ttf_thetuningslide

Quote from: W/SBTRB on Jun 01, 2016, 11:17AMI currently teach a local HS student who has asthma. Last year he was first chair everything he audition for including all state band 9-10 grade. This year(now a junior) he was first chair all state jazz. Its not so much as his accomplishments but his determination. He makes extensive use of any breathing activity I give him. He is very intelligent, resourceful, and determined to succeed. He will be his school's drummer major for the marching band this fall.

Some days he comes to his lesson wheezing away and we go on as if he's fine. He is a role model for me.
I try my best. I'm pretty sure that I'm the best of the low brass in my school. It's cool that educators can have students that are their role models, I really hope some other directors are like that, but I doubt it.
ttf_Bob Riddle

Post by ttf_Bob Riddle »

Here is an article all players and teachers should read:

Think Music Heals? Trombone Player Begs To Differ

Heard on All Things Considered
DIANE ORSON
FROM
WNPR News
Each day, thousands of music students head to band practice with their trumpets, trombones and saxophones. But they may want to pay a bit more attention to the way they clean out their instruments when rehearsal is over. One musician in Connecticut learned the hard way about the dangers of not cleaning his horn — after he developed a condition that's being called "trombone players' lung."

Enlarge this image
"I coughed. I had a horrible deep barking cough -- especially when I played trombone," Scott Bean says.  It turned out that his trombone, or what was inside it, was making him sick.
Diane Orson For NPR
Scott Bean spends hours each day performing, practicing and teaching the trombone. But for years, Bean struggled with health problems that made it hard to play his instrument.

"I coughed. I had a horrible deep barking cough — especially when I played trombone. I had a sore throat, lost 60 pounds at a time, had a low-grade fever," he says. "It was a huge hindrance."

The Stuff Inside

Doctors thought Bean had asthma, but none of the usual therapies worked. After 15 years, Bean went on vacation for the first time without his trombone — and felt better. He began to wonder if the instrument could be making him sick.

A doctor at the University of Connecticut took a culture from inside his horn.

"Then he calls me up and says, 'Scott, we know what's in your trombone,'" Bean says.

It was a mold called fusarium, says Mark Metersky, a professor at the University of Connecticut Medical School's division of pulmonary and critical care.

Enlarge this image
Dr. Mark Metersky took this picture of what's living in Scott Bean's trombone. The pink rods are Mycobacterium chelonae-abscessus species organisms. The round blue things are cells from the mucus membranes of Bean's mouth.
Dr. Mark Metersky
"He also grew a type of bacteria called a mycobacterium, sort of a cousin of tuberculosis," Metersky says.

This stuff inside the trombone was causing an allergic reaction, which led to hypersensitivity pneumonitis, a severe inflammation of the lungs. Microscopic organisms were breaking off and getting into Bean's lungs each time he inhaled.

Bean admits brass players are often lax about cleaning their horns.

"You talk about cleaning out your instrument, and they laugh and make some funny remark about it," he says. "I never cleaned out my trombone — maybe once every other year. We never clean it out."

Things plopped out. It was disgusting.
Dr. Mark Metersky, a professor in University of Connecticut Medical School's division of pulmonary and critical care
Not Alone

Mold and bacteria could grow in any brass instrument. And for most players, it wouldn't matter much, except maybe aesthetically. But for a subset of people who react to these organisms, it's no joke. Metersky set out to see how common a problem it was. He asked several professional musicians if he could culture the insides of their trombones and trumpets for a pilot study.

"Things plopped out," Metersky says. "It was disgusting. Imagine the worst thing you've found in your refrigerator in food that you've left for a few months, and that was coming out of these instruments."

Metersky stopped testing after 10 instruments, because they all were contaminated. His findings are published in this month's issue of the pulmonary journal Chest. There's also a separate case report on hypersensitivity pneumonitis from a contaminated saxophone.

Overlooked Connection

Doctors have known about this disease for a while, but Cecile Rose, a hypersensitivity pneumonitis expert at National Jewish Health in Colorado, says no one has ever thought to connect it to musical instruments.

"I think it probably hasn't been figured out because doctors don't ask the right questions," Rose says, "and because this disease has symptoms that are identical to symptoms of more common diseases."

Now Bean is diligent about cleaning out his trombone.

"I use a rod with a cloth and use alcohol — rubbing alcohol or isopropyl alcohol — pour it down, and it cleans out the germs," Bean says.

And he finds playing his horn a lot easier.

BTW  I have been fortunate to have had a teacher who was very persistent about keeping your instruments clean from the time I started playing.
As a young  student I cleaned out my horn about once a week,twice if it was a performance week.I remember reading about a trumpet player who had died from a lung disease that was attributed to the players instrument. Since then I clean my own instrument almost daily.Believe me even then it's amazing the stuff that's in there if I happen to miss a day or two!

Bob R
ttf_thetuningslide

Quote from: Bob Riddle on Aug 24, 2016, 05:56AMHere is an article all players and teachers should read:

Think Music Heals? Trombone Player Begs To Differ

Heard on All Things Considered
DIANE ORSON
FROM
WNPR News
Each day, thousands of music students head to band practice with their trumpets, trombones and saxophones. But they may want to pay a bit more attention to the way they clean out their instruments when rehearsal is over. One musician in Connecticut learned the hard way about the dangers of not cleaning his horn — after he developed a condition that's being called "trombone players' lung."

Enlarge this image
"I coughed. I had a horrible deep barking cough -- especially when I played trombone," Scott Bean says.  It turned out that his trombone, or what was inside it, was making him sick.
Diane Orson For NPR
Scott Bean spends hours each day performing, practicing and teaching the trombone. But for years, Bean struggled with health problems that made it hard to play his instrument.

"I coughed. I had a horrible deep barking cough — especially when I played trombone. I had a sore throat, lost 60 pounds at a time, had a low-grade fever," he says. "It was a huge hindrance."

The Stuff Inside

Doctors thought Bean had asthma, but none of the usual therapies worked. After 15 years, Bean went on vacation for the first time without his trombone — and felt better. He began to wonder if the instrument could be making him sick.

A doctor at the University of Connecticut took a culture from inside his horn.

"Then he calls me up and says, 'Scott, we know what's in your trombone,'" Bean says.

It was a mold called fusarium, says Mark Metersky, a professor at the University of Connecticut Medical School's division of pulmonary and critical care.

Enlarge this image
Dr. Mark Metersky took this picture of what's living in Scott Bean's trombone. The pink rods are Mycobacterium chelonae-abscessus species organisms. The round blue things are cells from the mucus membranes of Bean's mouth.
Dr. Mark Metersky
"He also grew a type of bacteria called a mycobacterium, sort of a cousin of tuberculosis," Metersky says.

This stuff inside the trombone was causing an allergic reaction, which led to hypersensitivity pneumonitis, a severe inflammation of the lungs. Microscopic organisms were breaking off and getting into Bean's lungs each time he inhaled.

Bean admits brass players are often lax about cleaning their horns.

"You talk about cleaning out your instrument, and they laugh and make some funny remark about it," he says. "I never cleaned out my trombone — maybe once every other year. We never clean it out."

Things plopped out. It was disgusting.
Dr. Mark Metersky, a professor in University of Connecticut Medical School's division of pulmonary and critical care
Not Alone

Mold and bacteria could grow in any brass instrument. And for most players, it wouldn't matter much, except maybe aesthetically. But for a subset of people who react to these organisms, it's no joke. Metersky set out to see how common a problem it was. He asked several professional musicians if he could culture the insides of their trombones and trumpets for a pilot study.

"Things plopped out," Metersky says. "It was disgusting. Imagine the worst thing you've found in your refrigerator in food that you've left for a few months, and that was coming out of these instruments."

Metersky stopped testing after 10 instruments, because they all were contaminated. His findings are published in this month's issue of the pulmonary journal Chest. There's also a separate case report on hypersensitivity pneumonitis from a contaminated saxophone.

Overlooked Connection

Doctors have known about this disease for a while, but Cecile Rose, a hypersensitivity pneumonitis expert at National Jewish Health in Colorado, says no one has ever thought to connect it to musical instruments.

"I think it probably hasn't been figured out because doctors don't ask the right questions," Rose says, "and because this disease has symptoms that are identical to symptoms of more common diseases."

Now Bean is diligent about cleaning out his trombone.

"I use a rod with a cloth and use alcohol — rubbing alcohol or isopropyl alcohol — pour it down, and it cleans out the germs," Bean says.

And he finds playing his horn a lot easier.

BTW  I have been fortunate to have had a teacher who was very persistent about keeping your instruments clean from the time I started playing.
As a young  student I cleaned out my horn about once a week,twice if it was a performance week.I remember reading about a trumpet player who had died from a lung disease that was attributed to the players instrument. Since then I clean my own instrument almost daily.Believe me even then it's amazing the stuff that's in there if I happen to miss a day or two!

Bob R
I knew that there were health hazards with a dirty trombone, but not to this extent. One of the first-years this year ha a trombone an I wanted to try it out. I picked it up, put my MP in, and it literally smelled like feces. I told him not to play it until he cleaned in and gave him one of mine to use.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Holy crap --------- literally!

I've always been a stickler against eating and then picking up my horn. I call it "blowing chunks through a horn". And I always wash out a new horn before giving it a test blow. Now I see I'll have to set aside one day a week to thoroughly wash out & disinfect my horns, since I play them all round-robin during the week.

Thanks for the enlightenment, Bob!

...Geezer
ttf_thetuningslide

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Aug 24, 2016, 06:54AMHoly crap --------- literally!

...Geezer
Yeah, it was bad
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Inspired, I thoroughly washed out my four horns with soapy water, alcohol and a long 'bone snake. The pita part was having to then polish the two horns with no lacquer. But good hygiene and maintenance is a part of it if I'm to enjoy this hobby to it's fullest. I'll have to make room for one hour of horn maintenance weekly in my busy retirement shedule. lol

OBTW: I always wash my mpc out before using it. Some people just store their gear in a case and pull it out to play ---- whenever. Ewwwwwe. I've seen some nasty, nasty looking mpcs!

...Geezer 
ttf_thetuningslide

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Aug 24, 2016, 08:55AMInspired, I thoroughly washed out my four horns with soapy water, alcohol and a long 'bone snake. The pita part was having to then polish the two horns with no lacquer. But good hygiene and maintenance is a part of it if I'm to enjoy this hobby to it's fullest. I'll have to make room for one hour of horn maintenance weekly in my busy retirement shedule. lol

OBTW: I always wash my mpc out before using it. Some people just store their gear in a case and pull it out to play ---- whenever. Ewwwwwe. I've seen some nasty, nasty looking mpcs!

...Geezer 
Lol love polishing for some reason...just because it looks so good afterwards
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Not going to give medical advice, but a little bit of encouragement.  Arnold Jacobs long time Tubist with the Chicago Symphony had reduced lung capacity from childhood illness, as well as adult onset asthma.  He devoted a lot of his time to studying Lung function and how it related to Brass playing, and despite his reduced lung capacity was a well known concert performer, orchestral tubist, and teacher.  I would definately seek treatment from a Dr. and find a treatment regimen that works for you.  Don't get too discouraged and keep playing.  There are some good suggestions in this thread like making sure your horns are clean, and keeping your cardiovascular system in good shape through appropriate exercise.  I would start with a Dr. visit, and talk to him about both your breathing issues, and you might want to (if you haven't already) see a podiatrist some custom insoles might help you feet issues as well.  I would recommend reading up on Arnold Jacobs for some inspiration, and to know there is hope for brass players with issues like yours. 
ttf_kwbryson

Post by ttf_kwbryson »

Hi,

I am a working trombonist- but I wasn't always.  My senior year of Music College I started to get really bad Asthma (even though I never had it as a kid).  I ended up taking afew years off from playing after Graduation because I couldn't deal with it.  In the end a mix of items seemed to do the trick:

1) Playing very efficiently on the instrument.

2) Running 3X per week

3) I have a few perscription medications I take; a steroid inhaler, and a rescue inhaler (taken as needed).

Since going pro full time I have never had to cancel a gig because of asthma!
ttf_kwbryson

Post by ttf_kwbryson »

Hi,

I am a working trombonist- but I wasn't always.  My senior year of Music College I started to get really bad Asthma (even though I never had it as a kid).  I ended up taking afew years off from playing after Graduation because I couldn't deal with it.  In the end a mix of items seemed to do the trick:

1) Playing very efficiently on the instrument.

2) Running 3X per week

3) I have a few perscription medications I take; a steroid inhaler, and a rescue inhaler (taken as needed).

Since going pro full time I have never had to cancel a gig because of asthma!

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”