Body soreness after playing

ttf_Emisaumell

Post by ttf_Emisaumell »

My body tends to be sore after playing for am extended time. Every single muscle in my body feels like it needs aassage. Even my eye brow muscles. At the moment I am 50 pounds over weight but Ive had this even when I was at the optimal weight. Any idea whats going and how to prevent it? Any excerices?

ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Watch your face when you play- you may be using it too much (aside from the embouchure) when you play. I had a similar issue for a while.

As for the rest, I find that I have to work out to be able to play a few hours a day. The human body isn't really meant to hold up a few pounds on the left side of the body a certain way and wave the right arm back and forth, not to mention the breathing.

I do plank for the back (which does a lot of work when you play) and bicep, tricep, and shoulder exercises to hold up the horn.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

This could be due to tension

Try a warm up routine before you pick up the horn, for about 5 minutes.  Repeat after certain intervals say 30 to 45 minutes, as needed.  This does not require using any resistance (weights). 

Sit in your good playing position for at least 30 to 60 seconds.  Be sure you are relaxed and balanced, not leaning back, feet flat on floor.

The following should be done without rushing, and repeat each movement or stretch once or twice.

1. Flex neck forward, roll gently to left and hold for 5 seconds, then to the right.  Do not roll in a backward direction, though.
2. Flex neck to sides (left, then right) and hold for 5 seconds.
3. Shrug shoulders, hold for 5 seconds, then relax.
4. Raise arms up over head to touch with arms extended (all moves are held for 5 seconds).
5. Stretch shoulder gently by crossing left arm over body to the right supported by right arm.  Repeat with right arm over to the left.
6. Bring arms forward, fully extended, in front of body. 
7. Bring arms straight back in a horizontal position to stretch the chest muscles.
8. Move the arms in a "biceps curl" movement 2 or three times. 
9. Move the right wrist back and forth gently, then side to side.
10. Move the right arm as if you were moving the trombone slide in the air, back and forth.

Remember to do each stretch, rest and repeat.  Hold the stretch position for about 5 seconds.

This helps balance the joint movements and keeps the tonic contractions used to support the horn in better balance.

ttf_kwbryson

Post by ttf_kwbryson »

Look into Alexander technique.  I did for about a year-- I am still not perfect at it -- but it has raised my awareness of odd little tensions throughout the body.  Very easy to catch now!
ttf_kwbryson

Post by ttf_kwbryson »

Look into Alexander technique.  I did for about a year-- I am still not perfect at it -- but it has raised my awareness of odd little tensions throughout the body.  Very easy to catch now!

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”