Swollen Lips

ttf_anonymous

Swollen Lips

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have been experiencing a very disturbing chops disorder for the past year and a half, possibly even longer.
 Two weeks ago seemingly out of nowhere the upper right portion of my lip had swollen to about 3X's its normal size.Over the next 2 hours the left side of my upper lip joined in. This lasted for 24 hours plus, then the swelling receded.  It was 2-3 hrs after a rehearsal. It wasn't a  grueling rehearsal . I played well, no difficulties. I wasn't fighting or compensating for any chop issue. This also happened 2X's within a week of each other a year ago. The swelling is abnormal in the rate that it comes on. Its not typical of  abusive playing. Its like someone inserted a grape under the skin of my lip .My lips become solid and I can not vibrate them whatsoever. Its starts as an itching sensation then I can feel the lip swell. It takes about 20-30 mins  for the swelling to complete after I get that itching sensation.
  When the swelling subsides . It feels sore. When I am able to practice , I find I have  lost flexibility, range,Tone, the ability to switch easily on my doubles.I am primarily a  Bass Trombonist and double on  Tenor, Contrabass and Tuba. THis time it only took a couple of days to regain what I had lost.
  Last year when it happened. I lost almost everything and had to start from scratch.At that time I started playing again after the first ATTACK. It came back after the first practice session. I quit for a week.  I started playing again and it came back. I quit for another few days  until I felt I was able to take it up again.
   So, Is it an allergic reaction? Stress? Dental Issue?Too much Playing , switching/ doubling?
   Nothing I have tried helps the issue. Benadryl, Ibuprofen,Vibrating Massagers, DOmeBoro(astringent dressing) Preparation H(Used by Ringling Bros Circus players for abusive 9hr a day weekend show schedule)and any and all creams, ointments, gels etc......
  It should  also be mentioned that a year ago I had broken a 9 month sobriety . I related the chop issues then with the stress from drying out after a few days of hard drinking. A week later  when it happened again after quitting drinking for a week was an experiment. It happened again when I quit drinking. This time a year later I was not drinking.  So I was surprised when it came  back. For all who drink, ENJOY. THis is not a lecture on the Evils of drinking. After 40 years of drinking, the last 10years of on and off again quitting, I realize that there is nothing good left for me in Alcohol .
  SO.......Where does that leave me? The past 3 years I have also  been afflicted with a  spine/ nerve disorder known as Sciatica. Alcohol destroys the Nervous system. I have suffered from peripheral nerve disorders in the past that have vanished  with the cessation of my Alcohol use/abuse. Can  either/both be related to my now CHOPS issue ? Can It be related to the High BLood Pressure Meds I am on? Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks, John

ttf_BGuttman

Swollen Lips

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You probably should talk to your doctor about this.

I had a similar episode a couple of years ago where I was on my way to a gig (unpaid, fortunately) and from the time I was almost there until we were ready to start my lip swelled to 3x its size.  I couldn't play a note.  Had to sit there looking embarrassed.  I thought it was an allergic reaction.  Eventually it calmed down.  Hasn't happened again.

Note that I don't drink; never did.  I do take a lot of high blood pressure meds.  One I used to take make me cough so much I couldn't play.

ttf_Doug Elliott

Swollen Lips

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

It sounds very much like an allergic reaction, maybe to metal.  A friend who is a member here had that exact thing happen and the only solution he found was switching to a Lexan rim - silver, gold, and stainless steel all caused it to flare up again.

It could also be your toothpaste, or maybe you ate something like fresh pineapple that is irritating, or a combination of several things.
ttf_SilverBone

Swollen Lips

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 11, 2017, 05:20PMI do take a lot of high blood pressure meds.  One I used to take make me cough so much I couldn't play.

Probably lisinopril.  Seems like it makes half the people who try it cough.  Took me a while to get rid of my lisinopril cough (and it was no fun trying to play with it).
ttf_BGuttman

Swollen Lips

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: SilverBone on Feb 11, 2017, 07:58PMProbably lisinopril.  Seems like it makes half the people who try it cough.  Took me a while to get rid of my lisinopril cough (and it was no fun trying to play with it).

That was it.
ttf_John McKevitt

Swollen Lips

Post by ttf_John McKevitt »

I am on Lisinopril and also Hydrochlorothiazide for High Blood pressure. I have developed a Dry Hacking cough.
   Around the same time of this last flare up I had lost all my Bass Trombone mouthpieces and was borrowing some from friends to get by. Luckily my mouthpieces were  found  10 days later after I posted a reward.
   All plating is intact on my mouthpieces. I use Silver, Gold and also Stainless, but Primarily Silver.
   After talking with everyone here in Atlanta about it, someone also mentioned an issue with a new toothpaste. A Baking soda based toothpaste.
  THanks everyone
ttf_BGuttman

Swollen Lips

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Hope the toothpaste change does it.  I think at the time I had my one flareup I was using Tom's of Maine toothpaste (which I really don't like but my wife does) which is baking soda based.  But I hadn't brushed my teeth for at least 8 hours by then.

I was on HCTZ in my cocktail of high blood pressure meds, but we took that one out when I showed up with an excessively low blood pressure at one checkup.  Hope I can keep it off my list (but I never had the swollen lips because of it).
ttf_SilverBone

Swollen Lips

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: John McKevitt on Feb 12, 2017, 08:20AM  I am on Lisinopril and also Hydrochlorothiazide for High Blood pressure. I have developed a Dry Hacking cough.

The lisinopril cough is so common that it's a strong bet that that is what is causing your cough.  (Dry hacking cough is a great description for a lisinopril cough.)  I suggest you discuss an alternate medication with your doc - I switched to losartan (Cozaar).

I also take HCTZ and experience no problems with it.
ttf_SilverBone

Swollen Lips

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: John McKevitt on Feb 12, 2017, 08:20AM  I am on Lisinopril and also Hydrochlorothiazide for High Blood pressure. I have developed a Dry Hacking cough.

The lisinopril cough is so common that it's a strong bet that that is what is causing your cough.  (Dry hacking cough is a great description for a lisinopril cough.)  I suggest you discuss an alternate medication with your doc - I switched to losartan (Cozaar).

I also take HCTZ and experience no problems with it.

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”