Cataract surgery - picking a music reading lens

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've been struggling with reading music for the last few years, trying to compensate for an early cataract in one eye (iPad Pro helps, as does an Aria stand light with LEDs and rechargeable battery).  But it is time.  My right eye is good, 20/25, and I've managed to get to 68 without the need for any kind of glasses, reading or otherwise, though I have struggled with the distance involved in looking at a computer screen and reading music.  Left eye cataract ("spiculated" or some other term - specs of sclerosis throughout, resulting in distorted vision).  Can only get correction to 20/60 in that eye, and never managed to get a prescription that worked for reading music.

Now the question:  I'm headed for cataract removal/lens implant in my left eye in a few weeks.  I'd like to know whether it makes sense select a 20/40 (suggested by the opthamalogist/surgeon) or maybe 20/30, or some other lens for that eye.  Any thoughts?  My current vision allows me to do most things ok, driving, reading is only a slight struggle, and without glasses. 
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I've lived a lifetime with glasses.

I would suggest you get both eyes corrected to be as close as possible.  Maybe you should invest in some reading glasses; probably only 1 or 1.5 diopters; just enough to see the music.  The problem as we age is that the eye's ability to focus close gets worse and worse.  So the term of use is called "far-sighted".  I'm very nearsighted and thus my far point hasn't changed much but my near point gets further and further away.  Those really close jobs I could do without glasses or magnifiers aren't as easy any more.

Find a pair of inexpensive reading glasses that put the music stand in focus and you should be fine.  Especially if your both eyes require the same degree of correction.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

QuoteI'd like to know whether it makes sense select a 20/40 (suggested by the opthamalogist/surgeon) or maybe 20/30, or some other lens for that eye.
Can you explain that discussion a bit more?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

When treating cataracts, a replacement lens is normally put in.  They come in various strengths and can adjust the vision of the recipient to different levels.  I don't know the particulars of Gicking's case so I'd defer to his ophthalmologist for recommendations.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

QuoteWhen treating cataracts, a replacement lens is normally put in.  They come in various strengths and can adjust the vision of the recipient to different levels.  I don't know the particulars of Gicking's case so I'd defer to his ophthalmologist for recommendations.
Not an answer to my question.

My understanding is that 20/40 is worse than 20/30, that both are representations of acuity, and neither is a focusing distance.

So again...

QuoteI'd like to know whether it makes sense select a 20/40 (suggested by the opthamalogist/surgeon) or maybe 20/30, or some other lens for that eye.

and

QuoteCan you explain that discussion a bit more?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

They actually are a focusing distance.  At 20/30, you see at 20 feet as sharp as someone with "normal" vision sees at 30 feet.  You can't even measure my nearsightedness with that scale any more.  I think it might be something like 20/800 or something like that.

For driving you need to see 20/40 out of one eye.

Reading requires the ability to focus closer, which is an ability that decreases with age.  Focusing takes place as the muscles in your eye socket adjust the shape of the eyeball to move the lens closer or further away from the retina.  In my case the natural shape of the eyeball is elongated and so the lens is farther away from the retina than it should be.  So things that are close are in focus and things far away are not.  That is the definition of nearsightedness.  My eyesight is corrected with lenses to adjust the incoming light so that the lens now focuses distant images on the retina.  With a normal person, you could cause the eye to focus closer (like on a book or computer screen) using a positive diopter lens.  That's what are those cheap "reading glasses" at the drug store.  You can now focus on something reasonably close at the expense of seeing clearly far away.  It's a tradeoff most of us make as we get older.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I've had music reading glasses made.  The biggest problem with reading music is getting the right focal distance in the prescription.  Which is why the drug store magnifiers don't work for me for this, they focus too close.  I would suggest after your surgery measure the distance between your eyes and you music stand (for me this is arms length), then when you go to the Optometrist to get your prescription take some typical music with you, put it that distance away from your face and then he can try different lenses with the right focal length distance. 
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

I would take your surgeons advice... and my father had his cataracts done at age 82 and after a lifetime of glasses and decreasing vision... he no longer requires them for anything including reading music, and for me life is easier on the golf course too as I no longer have to find his ball as well as mine!
ttf_Steve Foote

Post by ttf_Steve Foote »

My wife, who is not a musician, had cataract surgery on both eyes (several months apart) about 5 years ago. She had always been far-sighted and had glasses with lenses like the bottom of Coke bottles. The doc gave her one lens for distance and another for reading. Now she does not have to have glasses for anything. She had prescriptions written for reading and driving to prevent getting tired from overuse but she uses these only when driving or reading extensively.
Many people opt for wearing one contact to accomplish the same thing.
It works for most people but for some it absolutely drives them nuts.
Your struggle with reading music may be because you near vision is deteriorating as it usually does with aging even though your distance vision is nearly perfect.
Sounds to me like your doc's recommendation is spot on if you can tolerate the different focal lengths. You may still need glasses to balance everything out for specific activities. These are things you should discuss with your doc.
Getting older is good! I hope to continue getting older for a long time. Still, it has its challenges and requirements for adjustments. Adapt and enjoy living!
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Yesterday my eye doctor diagnosed cataracts, surgery is indicated in 2 years.  I'm interested in any of your results - and really dreading this feature of aging.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 26, 2017, 10:05PM

For driving you need to see 20/40 out of one eye.

So someone who has 20/20 vision should degrade their vision to 20/40 to go driving.

That is obviously preposterous.

The 20/something rating is about acuity of sight at distance where the eye is not trying to focus closer

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Apr 27, 2017, 08:40AMSo someone who has 20/20 vision should degrade their vision to 20/40 to go driving.

That is obviously preposterous.

The 20/something rating is about acuity of sight at distance where the eye is not trying to focus closer

Are you just being deliberately obtuse?  The bigger the lower number the worse you see.  For driving you need 20/40, but 20/30 and 20/20 are clearly better.  My mother-in-law was farsighted and had 20/15 vision.  She'd see and read signs before any of us.  But that made it harder for her to read as she got older.
ttf_Max Croot

Post by ttf_Max Croot »

Hi. Take your doctors advice. I had glasses, even had a pair made with the reading part at the top for marching. Had my cataracts done when I was 83. At 88 I can still read most music without glasses. I got a pair of 1.5 from the chemist if the music is too small. Currently rehearsing South pacific and no problems with the music. The elderly in Australia have to have medical every year including eye sight. Good Luck. Max
ttf_W/SBTRB

Post by ttf_W/SBTRB »

I had Cataract surgey las winter done two weeks apart. My eyes were constantly changing afterward. A year later they have settled down. here is how I stand now.

1. Distant vision has improved the the most. I was at the point I was afraid to drive at night especially in rain. I can also see my golf ball hit the ground.

2. I went from trifocals to bifocal but using transition lens.

3. for reading I use either the bifocal(lower part of the lens or cheap pair of readers (+250). It depends on how tired I am and how big the font is.

4. For reading music i don't use any glasses.

5. To complicate matters I am nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other.I have an eye for the conductor and one for the music.

6. I also have age-onset macro-degenerative disease. Right now that is stable.
ttf_Gicking

Post by ttf_Gicking »

Thank you for all of the responses, which are quite helpful.  I was asked for an explanation about the suggestion of a less than 20/20 lens for my afflicted left eye.  I understand that it is common in cataract surgery (removal of the natural lens which generally, with age, becomes both opaque and scatters incoming light due to "nuclear sclerosis") that lenses of different focal lengths are implanted: one for near vision, one for far vision, leaving your brain to decide which one to rely on, based on intention.  I'm told some opt for contact lenses with different prescriptions for the same reason.

My left eye went south on me in my early-40s, pre-cataract, and was more like 20/40 or so.  Was good for near vision.  Only complaint I had, pre-cataract, was when my brain struggled trying to sort images when I was tired, or on rare occasions, under the influence.... .   I gather from the responses that the suggestion of a nearsighted lens for an eye that my brain is used to considering good for shorter distance, is a reasonable option.  On the other hand, a retired opthamologist I play golf with (he's 82, 14 years older) tells me he has 20/20 in both eyes, doesn't need glasses for anything.  He tells me when my golf ball hits the green from 180 yards.  Ok, it happened once.  Truth be told, I didn't realize how bad my distance vision was until the 80 year old guys I sometimes play with, can all see the ball better than I can.   And when I went to a golf event, heard the age-diverse crowd instantly react to tee shots, and othe shots, and I had to ask where the ball landed.  But my biggest frustration has been reading music.  Vision won't help my golf game.

thank you again, for the responses.  Great resource, this forum.

ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

I had cataract surgery on both eyes about 5 years apart, and the last one in the last 6 months.

Earlier, I had laser surgery on both eyes which corrected my eyes ability to focus. My left eye was corrected for distance, and my right eye was corrected for reading close up.

Each Time I had cataract surgery, I stressed to the doctor how each eye was corrected by the earlier laser surgery. I made it clear that the cataract surgery needed lens that were in harmony with the earlier work. I stressed to the eye doctor that I was a musician that needed to be able to read music on a stand around 3 feet or less. My suggestion for you is to explain very clearly to your eye doctor that you're a musician and need to read off of music stands.

Note: If you have cataracts, reading glasses won't help. Cataracts create a blur similar to seeing through a dirty windshield.

ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

I had cataract surgery on both eyes about 5 years apart, and the last one in the last 6 months.

Earlier, I had laser surgery on both eyes which corrected my eyes ability to focus. My left eye was corrected for distance, and my right eye was corrected for reading close up.

Each Time I had cataract surgery, I stressed to the doctor how each eye was corrected by the earlier laser surgery. I made it clear that the cataract surgery needed lens that were in harmony with the earlier work. I stressed to the eye doctor that I was a musician that needed to be able to read music on a stand around 3 feet or less. My suggestion for you is to explain very clearly to your eye doctor that you're a musician and need to read off of music stands.

Note: If you have cataracts, reading glasses won't help. Cataracts create a blur similar to seeing through a dirty windshield.

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”