Valve bass trombone?

ttf_anonymous

Valve bass trombone?

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Does anyone here own a valve bass trombone?

As far as I know, Cervany is the only company that even says they make one, but I can't find anyone who sells it.

If you own, or have owned, one of these beasts I'd like to hear about it.

(I'm not really looking for a cimbasso, but if you have something interesting to say about them, I'm listening)

Hup

ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Valve bass trombone?

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Well, a modern cimbasso is literally a valve bass trombone in F...
ttf_John McKevitt

Valve bass trombone?

Post by ttf_John McKevitt »

Larry Minick made a custom Valved /slide combo Super Bass Bone. You can see it  on Jim Self's "Instruments Page".. Tommy Johnson might have had one also. Maybe it is the same instrument.Any way there is a TTF Member/ Repair Tech/? named Euphanisia.  He is working on building one. 9" Holton single valve bell section with a 562 bore valve section from a  Euphonium(?). He was swamped with other things and has not had the chance to finish it the last we emailed . Contact him maybe it will be completed soon. Good Luck
ttf_BGuttman

Valve bass trombone?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There's a guy on Ebay from Germany that has 4 rotor F Bass trombones from time to time.

I tried a 4 rotor F bass at Osmun Brass many years ago and found it VERY uncomfortable to hold.
ttf_donn

Valve bass trombone?

Post by ttf_donn »

"Ace" on tubenet had a Cerveny valve F bass trombone, seems to think it was a good instrument.

I remember being intrigued by the Miraphone that appeared in retail catalogues back in the '80s, but it appears it wasn't a big seller.
ttf_kbiggs

Valve bass trombone?

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 26, 2017, 05:37PMThere's a guy on Ebay from Germany that has 4 rotor F Bass trombones from time to time.

Mattis Cederberg:  https://youtu.be/p1DNl8BF49U
ttf_Tbonedude

Valve bass trombone?

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 26, 2017, 05:37PMThere's a guy on Ebay from Germany that has 4 rotor F Bass trombones from time to time.

His Ebay name is g.mu6, I think. He has quite a few Bb tenorbass valve trombones listed at any given time. I've done research about them (because I want one) and I discovered that because they're based on the german-style slide trombone, they're usually pretty small in bore in comparison to our bass trombones. The most common bore I've seen is around 0.530", but there are outliers. The smallest bore I've found is 0.512" on an Amati, and the largest was, quote the Ebay listing, "almost 15mm(!)" which is very close to 0.590", made by "Svoboda."
ttf_hup d dup

Valve bass trombone?

Post by ttf_hup d dup »

Quote from: John McKevitt on May 26, 2017, 05:14PMLarry Minick made a custom Valved /slide combo Super Bass Bone. You can see it  on Jim Self's "Instruments Page".. Tommy Johnson might have had one also. Maybe it is the same instrument.
Yes, this is the type of instrument I'm looking for.

QuoteAny way there is a TTF Member/ Repair Tech/? named Euphanisia.  He is working on building one. 9" Holton single valve bell section with a 562 bore valve section from a  Euphonium(?). He was swamped with other things and has not had the chance to finish it the last we emailed . Contact him maybe it will be completed soon. Good Luck

These are good leads and I'm following up on both of them.
ttf_blast

Valve bass trombone?

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: Tbonedude on May 27, 2017, 07:59AMHis Ebay name is g.mu6, I think. He has quite a few Bb tenorbass valve trombones listed at any given time. I've done research about them (because I want one) and I discovered that because they're based on the german-style slide trombone, they're usually pretty small in bore in comparison to our bass trombones. The most common bore I've seen is around 0.530", but there are outliers. The smallest bore I've found is 0.512" on an Amati, and the largest was, quote the Ebay listing, "almost 15mm(!)" which is very close to 0.590", made by "Svoboda."

I bought quite a few things from this guy years ago... always smooth deals ... I have a bass in F with 4 valves that I got from him and a 4 valve Bb trombone. Traditional German style horns.

Chris Stearn
ttf_blast

Valve bass trombone?

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: Tbonedude on May 27, 2017, 07:59AMHis Ebay name is g.mu6, I think. He has quite a few Bb tenorbass valve trombones listed at any given time. I've done research about them (because I want one) and I discovered that because they're based on the german-style slide trombone, they're usually pretty small in bore in comparison to our bass trombones. The most common bore I've seen is around 0.530", but there are outliers. The smallest bore I've found is 0.512" on an Amati, and the largest was, quote the Ebay listing, "almost 15mm(!)" which is very close to 0.590", made by "Svoboda."

I bought quite a few things from this guy years ago... always smooth deals ... I have a bass in F with 4 valves that I got from him and a 4 valve Bb trombone. Traditional German style horns.

Chris Stearn

Return to “Instruments”