How Much For a Besson BE 639 Used?

ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

After thinking about for a few years, I decided that after my senior year and end of the marching season, I'll sell my student model Besson that I've been using since sixth grade.  I don't really plan on using it for future use in college and beyond.  How much would they cost used? 
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

How badly beat up is it?  And where do you want to sell it?

In a yard sale, $50.

If it's in good shape at a music store, $300-500.

Those are extremes.  You will probably fit somewhere in between.

Note that condition is paramount.  Second are how well it works.
ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

There are some strange Bessons around so it depends.

Most Bessons from recent years (post WW II) were made in England and tended to be well made, strong, bomb-proof and had names like Westminster, Stratford and Academy. Towards the end of the last century the names were dropped and numbers were used; 6** being student models, 7** were step-ups and 9** were pro jobs. The quality and solidity started to decrease and eventually in about 2005, the company went out of business, to be resurrected by European manufacturers.

However there are some 6** series instruments which were made by King, both Bb/F and straight tenors. These were similar to the King 60* models.

If your instrument is marked Made in USA then the value would be similar to the equivalent King 60* but if it was made in England then you have an ideal trombone for marching band use! Image

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

There are some strange Bessons around so it depends.

Most Bessons from recent years (post WW II) were made in England and tended to be well made, strong, bomb-proof and had names like Westminster, Stratford and Academy. Towards the end of the last century the names were dropped and numbers were used; 6** being student models, 7** were step-ups and 9** were pro jobs. The quality and solidity started to decrease and eventually in about 2005, the company went out of business, to be resurrected by European manufacturers.

However there are some 6** series instruments which were made by King, both Bb/F and straight tenors. These were similar to the King 60* models.

If your instrument is marked Made in USA then the value would be similar to the equivalent King 60* but if it was made in England then you have an ideal trombone for marching band use! Image

Cheers

Stewbones

Return to “Instruments”