Wessex Bb/F Bass trombone

ttf_seanschramm

Post by ttf_seanschramm »

Hey guys,

Anyone has any opinions about the Wessex Bb/F Bass trombone? Considering getting one and was curious on what you guys think.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Well, if you go to the jinbao website you can order them straight from the port they come from for $49-80 US. Of course, they don't have the engraved "WYVERN" valve cap, and you might have to buy over a thousand of them to get the discounted price down to $49 US....but it is a heck of a deal at even $80!

If you can't raise the $80 they have jinbao copies of German horns that are only $20, but they don't have the snappy Yamaha style tubing wrap.......

Google alibaba. That is the source.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Wow, the Jinbao site... blatant intellectual property infringement. Especially the Thein alto and Yamaha horns.

I can see if the model is no longer made, kind of, but damn dude. Do your own research.

I did notice that a lot of the Wessex models are absent. And a lot of those ARE original designs, or at least based on instruments from long ago no longer being made.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I don't know... The intellectual property seems to be the way they make it, not that they can make a horn that looks similar.  I've seen no evidence the Chinese copies play better much less equally to their supposed base. That and Yamaha got their start by offering copies of other horns like their versions of the Conn 88 and Holton small bores.  For that matter, the YSL354 is one of the best selling horns in the world and is a copy. Seems like that would be were I would be off put if I were at any of it.

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

You're right. I doubt you could patent a wrap style. It's not like they have CL2000 or Hagmann valve copies, which can be patented.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Yesterday at 05:48 AMWow, the Jinbao site... blatant intellectual property infringement. Especially the Thein alto and Yamaha horns.

I can see if the model is no longer made, kind of, but damn dude. Do your own research.
Everybody "borrows" ideas from their competitors. Sometimes they add their own refinements/improvements, but not everyone and not every time.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Yesterday at 05:36 AMWell, if you go to the jinbao website you can order them straight from the port they come from for $49-80 US. Of course, they don't have the engraved "WYVERN" valve cap, and you might have to buy over a thousand of them to get the discounted price down to $49 US....but it is a heck of a deal at even $80!

If you can't raise the $80 they have jinbao copies of German horns that are only $20, but they don't have the snappy Yamaha style tubing wrap.......

Google alibaba. That is the source.

The problem with just buying a JinBao off the boat is the crummy Chinese QC.  You could get a good one or one that is horrid.  Folks like Wessex test each horn and make sure you don't get one that is horrid.  Will it outplay a Shires?  Probably not.  But usually good value for money.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I've had Wessex horns that i would put up against any horn on the market. The last one I bought was a double trigger tenor that was every bit as solid as a Shires or Bach or anything. Even the triggers were well adjusted. I've never played the specific horn you are asking about, but Wessex sells solid stuff. The underlying manufacturer may be questionable, but if it gets the Wessex name on it, its a good horn.
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Quote from: Matt K on Yesterday at 07:04 AM  For that matter, the YSL354 is one of the best selling horns in the world and is a copy. Seems like that would be were I would be off put if I were at any of it.

The difference there being that Holton was working directly with Yamaha.
ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Wessex are good with their QC but so are John Packers.
They do 2 bass trombones; the single valve Bb/F JP Rath 233 has the added benefit of the Rath input to the design and the leadpipe. The UK price is similar to the Wessex Bb/F. There is also a JP 232 which is an independent Bb/F/G/Eb or Bb/F/Gb/D which is £150 cheaper than the Wessex King clone which is only Bb/F/Gb/D according to the Wessex web site.

This link will find your nearest stockist worldwide;

http://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/Find-a-stockist.html

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_chipolah

Post by ttf_chipolah »

Quote from: MrPillow on Yesterday at 11:36 AMThere difference there being that Holton was working directly with Yamaha.
YES... The Yamaha 354 is a direct copy of the TR-602 Holton. Most early Yamahas were copies of other producers' horns.
ttf_chipolah

Post by ttf_chipolah »

Wessex is coming out with a new double valve bass trombone designed by Chris Stearn. (Blast) If everything goes according to plan, it should be available in September.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Yes indeed  Image Image Image I hope people really like it !!

Chris Stearn
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Quote from: chipolah on Yesterday at 01:51 PMWessex is coming out with a new double valve bass trombone designed by Chris Stearn. (Blast) If everything goes according to plan, it should be available in September.
Interesting!  What design is it based on? Image
Just curious.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Now that will certainly be a good horn. I would assume very Conn Fuchs like
ttf_58mark

Post by ttf_58mark »

Quote from: Stewbones43 on Yesterday at 01:42 PMWessex are good with their QC but so are John Packers.
They do 2 bass trombones; the single valve Bb/F JP Rath 233 has the added benefit of the Rath input to the design and the leadpipe. The UK price is similar to the Wessex Bb/F. There is also a JP 232 which is an independent Bb/F/G/Eb or Bb/F/Gb/D which is £150 cheaper than the Wessex King clone which is only Bb/F/Gb/D according to the Wessex web site.

This link will find your nearest stockist worldwide;

http://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/Find-a-stockist.html

Cheers

Stewbones

Packer is adding a 2nd valve to that rath bass.  I think it's available now, but I haven't played it.   The single valve bass is amazing and I expect the double to be a hit.   I already am making plans to buy it at tmea next February
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 08:15 AMThe problem with just buying a JinBao off the boat is the crummy Chinese QC.  You could get a good one or one that is horrid.  Folks like Wessex test each horn and make sure you don't get one that is horrid.  Will it outplay a Shires?  Probably not.  But usually good value for money.

If both horns are made in the same factory, using the same materials: Eastman/Shires > Jin Bao?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Ellrod on Yesterday at 06:01 PMIf both horns are made in the same factory, using the same materials: Eastman/Shires > Jin Bao?

Not quite the same.  Eastman/Shires is made at the Andreas Eastman plant to Shires specifications.  JP-Rath are made to Rath specifications.  Both the JP-Rath and Eastman Shires have intervention from a controlling body.  Same goes to a large extent for Wessex Tubas
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

The new bass is not based on any one model. It is not a backward looking design but a modern bass trombone... that was the Wessex brief. It has been two years in evolution with much trial and error work through that time. It will be a hand made high quality instrument and you can expect to pay a little more for it, though not the price level of top horns from America and Europe. I think people will be surprised at how good this trombone is.

Chris Stearn
ttf_Catastrophone

Post by ttf_Catastrophone »

I'm looking forward to trying it Chris!
ttf_Catastrophone

Post by ttf_Catastrophone »

I'm looking forward to trying it Chris!

Return to “Instruments”