Conical Design

ttf_Tbonedude

Conical Design

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

Quote from: davdud101 on Aug 15, 2017, 10:44AMIf I may offer a free alternative with a REALLY small learning curve that makes modeling stuff like this MUCH faster - like this sort-of trombone-themed image I made several years ago;
http://www.anim8or.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4378.0;attach=10897;image

Give the software Anim8or a shot.
It may not be CAD-accurate design, and it IS geared towards modelling (even while sporting a moniker like Anim8or), but I like to think it holds its own in the free software world.

I made an account, I'll have to try it sometime.
Here's that image, for those who want to see without making an account:
ttf_davdud101

Conical Design

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: BillO on Aug 15, 2017, 10:47AMSite requires a log-in.

Whoops sorry, didn't realize that. I was already logged in, I guess.

Thanks for tossing it up there, Tbonedude.
ttf_robcat2075

Conical Design

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

If you want a continuously pitch-adjustable instrument with a serious conical bore, you'll need to move to some mechanism besides a slide.

Even a modification like the Couturier slide is so close to a cylinder in practice that it might just as well be a cylinder and apparently sounds like one.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Conical Design

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I would hesitate to use anything purely conical to funnel a single malt into my mouth. I like a glencairn glass to enjoy my Islay malts.

As for conical trombones... I have thought many many times about blending nicely with a flugelhorn player's sound. Once in a very fun little big band I played euphonium when the trumpets were on flugel and it sounded nice. Now in duets I'm dabbling with using a bass trombone and trying to get into the flugel sound. Or around it. I'm not sure yet. My small dual bore tenor is also good.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Conical Design

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I would hesitate to use anything purely conical to funnel a single malt into my mouth. I like a glencairn glass to enjoy my Islay malts.

As for conical trombones... I have thought many many times about blending nicely with a flugelhorn player's sound. Once in a very fun little big band I played euphonium when the trumpets were on flugel and it sounded nice. Now in duets I'm dabbling with using a bass trombone and trying to get into the flugel sound. Or around it. I'm not sure yet. My small dual bore tenor is also good.

Return to “Instruments”