Holton "Monster Valve" Bass??

ttf_bassboneman

Post by ttf_bassboneman »

I was curious...
Does anyone know if the TR-140 (Monster Valve) trombone was ever produced in Bass form?

Sam
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

It was drawn up on the patent application, but never saw production.  I would have no idea if one was ever even prototyped.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_bassboneman

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was one?
Are the valves available anywhere?

ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

I'm not sure it would be awesome...

I have a Monster valve.  I have it fitted to a horn where I have it interchangeable with a Thayer, a CL2000, and a Bach K valve.  The Monster is fascinating, but it is not a good design.  F side plays great, but it doesn't do anything else real great.  The production version of those valves feel like a prototype proof of concept implementation.  It would be interesting to play with it and make it a real optimized design, but that would take a bunch of effort and time.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_Stan

Post by ttf_Stan »

Quote from: elmsandr on Dec 05, 2017, 08:51AMThe production version of those valves feel like a prototype proof of concept implementation.

I kind of think that's what happened.  If my memory is right, Holton marketed that valve right before they went belly-up, were bought, and most of the designs suspended. 
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Any photos of a monster valve?
ttf_bassboneman

google tr-140 and check "iamages" its the big disc shaped valve pic
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Now what we need is a single Monster Valve bass, but with a slot-in Monster Valve for the second valve. Imagine the possibilities!
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: greenbean on Dec 05, 2017, 11:48PMI own a TR140...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tlUVadzlgQpdcJYG2

I've posted pictures of the rotor core on here somewhere before.  It is even more ridiculous than the overall layout of the bell section with this thing.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: greenbean on Dec 05, 2017, 11:48PMI own a TR140...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tlUVadzlgQpdcJYG2

Just a note: Mine has an unengraved bell, adding to the idea that it was a prototype or some kind of limited run. On the other hand, it come in a nice hard case fitted for it that looks like a typical factory case.
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

HOLY CRAP greenbean's photos really put in perspective how big the overall system needs to be for it to be efficient!! I guess I get why it's called "Monster" now...  Image
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Is it just me or does the monster valve kind of remindes me of a oversized hagmann valve?
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Today at 10:28 AMIs it just me or does the monster valve kind of remindes me of a oversized hagmann valve?

The way to visualize what is on the inside of a valve is to trace a path from mouthpiece to bell in Bb and again in F.  You will then see that this valve and the Hagmann have nothing in common.
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Quote from: greenbean on Today at 11:16 AMThe way to visualize what is on the inside of a valve is to trace a path from mouthpiece to bell in Bb and again in F.  You will then see that this valve and the Hagmann have nothing in common.
Ah, I see.  I Googleed more photos of the monster valve and saw the inside and yes, it's not even close to being similar to the hagmann.  But at first glance and the oversized valve section, it sort of remindes me of it in a sense. 
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Quote from: greenbean on Today at 11:16 AMThe way to visualize what is on the inside of a valve is to trace a path from mouthpiece to bell in Bb and again in F.  You will then see that this valve and the Hagmann have nothing in common.
Ah, I see.  I Googleed more photos of the monster valve and saw the inside and yes, it's not even close to being similar to the hagmann.  But at first glance and the oversized valve section, it sort of remindes me of it in a sense. 

Return to “Instruments”