Never seen a tuba like this...

ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Anyone know anything about this? I can imagine it’s just another form of sousaphone, but NEVER have a seen a tuba or sousaphone in this particular configuration - even given how ergonomic it appears to be in comparison to a standard sousaphone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KdJ5LUprwHA
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There was another video cued up on my screen talking about a "Python Tuba".  Looks like something intended to be easily carried.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Hmmm... looks like a standard bell-up tuba that's been unwound and rebent a bit.  Image
ttf_kbiggs

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Dec 03, 2017, 08:26AMHmmm... looks like a standard bell-up tuba that's been unwound and rebent a bit.  Image

It’s the same principle as over-the-shoulder horns from the US Civil War: redirect the sound. In this case, the sound is directed to the front rather than the back.

I wonder about the sound from this set up, though. Tubas produce an “omnidirectional” sound, as opposed to a “unidirectional” sound like you get from trumpets and trombones. With stereoscopic hearing, people can pinpoint the source of the sound from trumpets and trombones, whereas with tubas and horns, the sound is one that is enveloping, i.e., you can’t pinpoint the source of the sound (the bell points up and the sound is deflected based on the acoustics of the room). I know that the tuba sound is a result of design, evolution, and arbitrary choices, put this seems to defeat the purpose of the tuba sound.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

It seems like he and lots of others are redefining "the purpose of the tuba sound."  As a solo instrument, and ergonomically, that makes a lot of sense.  It's well balanced and it projects.
ttf_kbiggs

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

Yes. I even said it myself: design, evolution and arbitrary choices. Perhaps we’re seeing a radical change for the tuba, perhaps it’s a phase that will pass, perhaps... history will let us know.
ttf_amichael

Post by ttf_amichael »

He discusses the design goals and demos it in this video: https://youtu.be/Wl-d1OMikho

Really cool, especially because he has some serious chops.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Dec 03, 2017, 08:26AMHmmm... looks like a standard bell-up tuba that's been unwound and rebent a bit.  ImageOr a marching tuba that's been rolled over on its side and the valve section pulled down into the vertical plane.

The original sousaphones were bell-up (the classic "raincatcher"), but so much of the sound gets lost if you're playing outdoors without a shell.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: kbiggs on Dec 03, 2017, 04:28PMYes. I even said it myself: design, evolution and arbitrary choices.

Those three would pretty much cover every possibility outside of shipping accidents.  Image
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Ergonomics on this look to be very good dividing the weight over both shoulders, the Bell forward design gives it a direct sound like an over the shoulder type Marching Tuba or Contra.  Very practical as a solo instrument, ergonomic for long periods of stand up playing, and the direct sound works great to project out to the audience.  I do see one drawback to this instrument design, this unless you design it to come apart is going to require a huge case to protect it, and shipping a regular Tuba or sousaphone is hard enough, this would be exceptionally hard and costly to transport.  This is a BBb horn according to the second video posted about the horns design (the B designation appears to have been a mistake, and I really so no reason to pick a new key for this, the difference in tube length I believe would only be 9" less to go from BBb to BB natural, which wouldn't be a major concern).  This appears at this time to be a modified one of a kind tuba configuration, and because of the impracticality of transporting something this big I don't think you'll find it take off in the Tuba playing community.  Ease of transportation and carrying is a major concern when you play an instrument the size of a tuba.
ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Quote from: Radar on Today at 07:36 AM...I do see one drawback to this instrument design, this unless you design it to come apart is going to require a huge case to protect it, and shipping a regular Tuba or sousaphone is hard enough, this would be exceptionally hard and costly to transport.... because of the impracticality of transporting something this big I don't think you'll find it take off in the Tuba playing community.  Ease of transportation and carrying is a major concern when you play an instrument the size of a tuba.

https://youtu.be/Wl-d1OMikho?t=3m3s
"The instrument is made of 2 parts and is really easy to transport."
ttf_Doug Elliott

Quote from: Radar on Today at 07:36 AMThis is a BBb horn according to the second video posted about the horns design (the B designation appears to have been a mistake

B is the German (and other European) name for Bb, where B natural is called H
ttf_Doug Elliott

Quote from: Radar on Today at 07:36 AMThis is a BBb horn according to the second video posted about the horns design (the B designation appears to have been a mistake

B is the German (and other European) name for Bb, where B natural is called H

Return to “Instruments”