New old Conn 6h

ttf_cordelld

New old Conn 6h

Post by ttf_cordelld »

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and looking foward for your comments Image

I recently purchased an old Conn 6h, and despite the seller's statements and the description, the slide was in really bad shape. The inner slide was apparently dropped and never repaired, and it was really bent as well as dented. A little bit of a nightmare Image. Anyway, to send back the trombone would have costed me more, and I wasn't even sure I would get my money back, so I took it to the repair shop. They did a good job, I think, but they said to me, the chrome plating of the slide was worn off, and thus it would not work as good. They recommended to me Slide-O-Mix, which they think works best with slides with plating loss. I have had the horn for a couple of days and the slide works ok, but it produces a loud scratchy sound. So my question is, does really Slide-O-Mix work best in this case? What is your experience with plating loss? Is something else I can do, apart from proper cleaning of the slide?

I'm also curious about the horn itself. It's a silver plated Conn 6h Victor, the bell has no engraving, and it just says "CG CONN" and "Victor USA" on the side, so I'm thinking it's a late horn from the 70's as far as I could figure out. However the six digits serial number on the slide begins with 41, which according to conn loyalist should be from the 50's??? (I don't have the horn with me right now, so I don't know the full number, but I'm sure its six digits) But the slide doesn't look that old, I should say. If someone knows about that I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english Image
ttf_BGuttman

New old Conn 6h

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Sounds like it's either Abilene or later.  Conn abandoned the fancy engravings in the 1980s.  There is usually a prefix of a pair of letters that can help find the year.  Your serial will look like 6H CG 123456.

As to your slide, what I do on the wear is to clear off any corrosion first.  You can use 0000 (sometimes called 4 nought) steel wool or a VERY fine sand paper (US grit size 1200; I'd estimate the EU grit size to be 400).  Then you can either spray on a waxy furniture polish like Pledge, let it dry well, and then use a cream like Trombotine; or you can specifically rub some cream on the bare spots followed by a regular application of the cream.  I've found creams work better on old slides.  You can then use a couple of drops of the small bottle of Slide-O-Mix on top of the cream (we used to use a similar material with SuperSlick). 

I've found that a great "refresher" application for any slide lube is UltraPure.  You may even like it as your primary lube.
ttf_vegasbound

New old Conn 6h

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

All old conns have some plating loss that's why you see adds stating usual conn wear or similar.

Does the horn play well? That is the most important thing!

As for SoM. Depends on personal preference but on older slides trombotine works best...did on my 58. 88h with usual conn plating loss!
ttf_MikeBMiller

New old Conn 6h

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I have a 60s 6h I got cheap and decided to spend the bucks to get the slide rebuilt. It is at the shop now. If all works out, I will have a good horn for under $600.
ttf_greenbean

New old Conn 6h

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Trombotine!

Until you can replace the inner(s)...
ttf_Nanook

New old Conn 6h

Post by ttf_Nanook »

I have a '46 olds super with a bit of a scratchy slide, and I like the two part super slick only slightly more than the trombotine..

Nanook
ttf_BGuttman

New old Conn 6h

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

you can use the small SuperSlick bottle with Trombotine as well.
ttf_dposaune

New old Conn 6h

Post by ttf_dposaune »

thank you all for the input!

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 19, 2017, 04:09AMSounds like it's either Abilene or later.  Conn abandoned the fancy engravings in the 1980s.  There is usually a prefix of a pair of letters that can help find the year.  Your serial will look like 6H CG 123456.

As to your slide, what I do on the wear is to clear off any corrosion first.  You can use 0000 (sometimes called 4 nought) steel wool or a VERY fine sand paper (US grit size 1200; I'd estimate the EU grit size to be 400).  Then you can either spray on a waxy furniture polish like Pledge, let it dry well, and then use a cream like Trombotine; or you can specifically rub some cream on the bare spots followed by a regular application of the cream.  I've found creams work better on old slides.  You can then use a couple of drops of the small bottle of Slide-O-Mix on top of the cream (we used to use a similar material with SuperSlick). 

I've found that a great "refresher" application for any slide lube is UltraPure.  You may even like it as your primary lube.

The wear is a spot on the end of one of the stockings, but it doesn't seem to be any corrosion on it, the color is not dark orange but rather somewhat pastel. I suppose that was alredy taken care of in the repair shop. I think I will try trombontine, an see how it goes, since I have a tube at home. Thanks a lot!
ttf_dposaune

New old Conn 6h

Post by ttf_dposaune »

thank you all for the input!

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 19, 2017, 04:09AMSounds like it's either Abilene or later.  Conn abandoned the fancy engravings in the 1980s.  There is usually a prefix of a pair of letters that can help find the year.  Your serial will look like 6H CG 123456.

The wear is a spot on the end of one of the stockings, but it doesn't seem to be any corrosion on it, the color is not dark orange but rather somewhat pastel. I suppose that was alredy taken care of in the repair shop. I think I will try trombontine, an see how it goes, since I have a tube at home. Thanks a lot!

Return to “Instruments”