Edwards BAN slides

ttf_bassboneman

Edwards BAN slides

Post by ttf_bassboneman »

Hello all,

Does anyone have an idea of how these slides feel as compared to the dual bore brass w/ nickel over sleeves?
I would rather not throw away $800.

Sam

ttf_mr.deacon

Edwards BAN slides

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

An all nickel slide will remind you of the slides on your Holtons.

The tubes on the lightweight slides are pretty thick so the slotting doesn't go completely out the window but you'll notice the slots are a little wider and the blow a little less focused verses your Holton slide which has oversleeves.

I almost bought a all nickel slide when I owned my Shires because it reminded me of my Holtons.

Note my comments are comparing a all nickel Shires slide verses a Holton slide.
ttf_John Beers Jr.

Edwards BAN slides

Post by ttf_John Beers Jr. »

I have a nickel-lightweight slide on my Shires bass (I bought it used), if that's any help to you. The feel is largely one of greater "rigidity"/"firmness" than the brass equivalent when blowing through the horn, and articulations speak extremely quickly and easily. However, you give up some quality of the sound (Width? Complexity?).

Last time I was at Shires (~2 years ago at this point?) I tried the standard B62 against my NLW version, and, while the lightweight one was definitely easier to play, the other people in the room (my father, a friend, maybe one of the employees) unanimously preferred the sound of the standard brass version. I wasn't in the market (read: didn't have the money) for a new slide at the time, and couldn't really hear the difference from my side of the bell, but everyone else was very emphatic in their preference for the brass slide's tone.

Again, different company, comparing single to single rather than vs. dual, and not something that I personally experienced....... but maybe it will prove helpful.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Edwards BAN slides

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

I have both slides and to me they blow the same. The sound is different. I feel like there is more clarity/ color in the nickel slide.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Edwards BAN slides

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

I have both slides and to me they blow the same. The sound is different. I feel like there is more clarity/ color in the nickel slide.

Return to “Instruments”