Late 2017 New King 2B+

ttf_Bach42T

Late 2017 New King 2B+

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

Well, there are conversations about the quality of production in current King professional horns assembled in Elkhart that come up from time to time on TTF, I thought I would post a few pictures of issues on a recent produced King 2B+ I acquired (but have just returned).  While the bell section I would consider acceptable, the slide while it felt generally nice from an operability standpoint - it's construction was rough.  If this is more on the manner of OCD, your thoughts on that are always welcome. I'm picky.  What I saw can be described as "pitting", and directly on one of the slide stockings I don't know how that got through QC.  I don't even know how that occurs, if it is inherent in the sheet brass or from buffing.  Minor lacquer adherence or just a scrape on the nickel slide bow connector in another photo as I believe these slides hang together on wooden hooks before they are put into the case.  The lacquer on the slide didn't seem that smooth, or it felt thinner and not as glossy.  Other photos for your perusal.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18pplN8ADCNvA6Pf4Vy68FoOMScI7SO9n?usp=sharing
ttf_BGuttman

Late 2017 New King 2B+

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Pitting on the chrome plate is from the plating operation.  If it didn't expose base metal and had no sharp edges, I might let it go.  But it came that way from the plater and somebody in QC should have signed off on it.

Many of the defects in your picture are cosmetic; but one stands out.  The bad fit of the bell brace flange.  That should never have left the factory.
ttf_bigbandaxes

Late 2017 New King 2B+

Post by ttf_bigbandaxes »

I worked in the Eastake factory for 6 years pre-strike building tubas and sousas. They were already having QC problems then! One of the reasons I quit! It's piece work. So the faster you work, the more pieces youe finish and the more money you make. Greedy piece workers make for ill-fitting parts and poor quality. Post Strike I imagine it got even worse.
ttf_Bach42T

Late 2017 New King 2B+

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 14, 2018, 12:19PMPitting on the chrome plate is from the plating operation.  If it didn't expose base metal and had no sharp edges, I might let it go.  But it came that way from the plater and somebody in QC should have signed off on it.

Many of the defects in your picture are cosmetic; but one stands out.  The bad fit of the bell brace flange.  That should never have left the factory.

Bruce, I should have clarified, I didn't take any pictures of the inner tubes, I admit I didn't get that far the pitting was on the brass outers.  I didn't see anything similar on the bell section, it was very nice.  Funny that you mention the bell brace flange, I thought that looked a little off from a short distance.

ttf_Bellend

Late 2017 New King 2B+

Post by ttf_Bellend »

Just out of curiosity, how did it play?

BellEnd
ttf_Bach42T

Late 2017 New King 2B+

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

Quote from: Bellend on Jan 14, 2018, 01:24PMJust out of curiosity, how did it play?

BellEnd

It was responsive across all ranges, but I focused on the obvious trouble spots of the closer partials from the F above the staff on up.  It was clear and had a very warm sound characteristic of the gold brass bell/ I particularly like the openness and the fact it was not stuffy.  It was less of a laser than my 2B.  I really want this to work, as it sits between my 2B and 3B+ in my collection quite nice.  I just don't know if I want to chance another, yet.
ttf_Bach42T

Late 2017 New King 2B+

Post by ttf_Bach42T »

Quote from: Bellend on Jan 14, 2018, 01:24PMJust out of curiosity, how did it play?

BellEnd

It was responsive across all ranges, but I focused on the obvious trouble spots of the closer partials from the F above the staff on up.  It was clear and had a very warm sound characteristic of the gold brass bell/ I particularly like the openness and the fact it was not stuffy.  It was less of a laser than my 2B.  I really want this to work, as it sits between my 2B and 3B+ in my collection quite nice.  I just don't know if I want to chance another, yet.

Return to “Instruments”