Aftermarket lead pipes in vintage Conn bass trombones

ttf_renbaroque

Post by ttf_renbaroque »

Would putting an aftermarket leadpipe in a vintage Conn bass trombones (originally came with Brown & Sharpe taper receivers) kill the vintage vibe? Specifically, thinking about doing it on a late Elkhart bell-tuning models (71H/73H) with very tight-stemmed bells.

Thinking about something like a GR pipe from M/K or Brass Ark, since no one seems to be making copies of exact pipe (71H/73H). I hear those GR pipes are based on Olds version, but still similar to 70H pipe. It'll allow for more mouthpiece choices, but I wonder it may ruin the horn.

Any experiences? Even Elkhart 8H/88H with modern pipe, etc.?
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

No,  it won't ruin the horn.

But,  you'll have to try several in real playing situations to get the real feel of how they will respond with that horn.

EVERY lead pipe is different!!  Even two of the exact same model!
Part of the voodoo of lead pipes

Eric

ttf_Horn Builder

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

The M/K GR pipes are NOT "based on" the Olds pipe, they are "reproductions" of the Olds pipes, made using the original Olds mandrel. They play "VERY" well in Conn and Conn type instruments. One big difference is M/K also do other alloys (unlike the originals) so you may have nickel silver, yellow brass, rose brass, bronze or Sterling Silver.

M
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

In my short search for pipes I settled on one of those MK GR pipes out of a handful from them. Very good  Image
ttf_renbaroque

Post by ttf_renbaroque »

Thank you folks, will try M/K GR. I believe my Conn has a 2-piece bell, so I'll try one in nickel. Being a corrosion resisting alloy is a bonus. $105 seems to be a steal!
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I have a new stock 50B leadpipe in my 60H. It made the horn playable and 100% more even with a modern mouthpiece.

I'll get something more in line with the original design soon, but I'd say it's definitely worth it.
ttf_modelerdc

Post by ttf_modelerdc »

I have a Conn 62HG that plays better with a Bach 50 pipe than with any of the three Conn pipes. It also works well with a broader sound with a Shires B2.
ttf_modelerdc

Post by ttf_modelerdc »

I have a Conn 62HG that plays better with a Bach 50 pipe than with any of the three Conn pipes. It also works well with a broader sound with a Shires B2.

Return to “Instruments”