Earl Williams Trombone

ttf_mr.deacon

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: John McKevitt on Jul 01, 2017, 09:47AMWTB Williams/ Donnelson TN   Model 10 Bass Trombone Bell
[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]
Thanks, John
You seem to have a thing for rare stuff! Image
ttf_John McKevitt

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_John McKevitt »

I follow the "Whatever Works " Philosophy
ttf_dj kennedy

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

BURBANK 6     POSSIBLY  ON THE  MARKET  !!!!!!!!!!!!!
 tennessee  williams  --shipped  to colorado
   la williams  sold
ttf_jbtrombone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_jbtrombone »

For the Williams Society brain trust: I'm confused about the approximate date of manufacture for my Williams 6 based on different things I have read in this thread.  It was identified as a "Bob" based on the shape of the slide crook (see link to photo below).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7mxb45926rold4j/AAClAOO90l-6E1dy2qmzXYVya?dl=0

I read that the "Bob" horns were made between 1971-1975 and started with serial #'s 3XXX.  However, my horn seems like it predates that window of time based on the lacquer (original)  and the serial # of 8XX.  It says made by Earl Williams Los Angeles, Calif on the side of the bell throat.  So i guess my questions are, "Did the Bobs exist at any point before 1971?  Is my horn just not as old as it seems?  Is it not a "Bob" afterall?  Help... Image
ttf_DaveAshley

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Yours is an earlier build of the Model 6, made by Earl before the move to Burbank. The "Bob" crooks (tuning slide and handslide) are round/single radius and the slide crook is silver. 
ttf_jbtrombone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_jbtrombone »

Dave for the win!  Thank you!
ttf_dj kennedy

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

ALERT   6 AVAILABLE  IN OAKLAND  !!!!!!!!!!
---------
ttf_chris.amemiya

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_chris.amemiya »

Quote from: dj kennedy on Oct 16, 2017, 07:23AMALERT   6 AVAILABLE  IN OAKLAND  !!!!!!!!!!
---------

DJ, is this the one at Best Instrument Repair? If so, I probably played on it yesterday. It is missing the Williams water key (King water key in its place). It plays pretty well. I think it is on consignment and they are asking something like 2350.

ttf_Gicking

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Gicking »

John Noxon, I want to thank you again for putting me in touch with John Duda a couple of years ago.  He did an excellent job replacing the inners on this Williams 6.  Better yet, after a long wait, he made his own Williams 6 slide section for the horn which, along with his own design leadpipe, vastly improved the performance of this horn.  You may recall that the 6 as originally recieved, came with removable leadpipes, including the original Williams leadpipe, plus a Herrick, and a Kanstul.  While the Herrick worked best with that original slide (once proper inners were installed to solve leaking), the Duda leadpipe, on both the original Williams slide, and Duda’s new slide was vastly superior.  The Duda slide and leadpipe work best with the bell section. Did blindfold tests with several players, all agreed. 

I’ll have to renew my efforts to get Duda to make his own bell Williams 6 bell section.  He’s a master, a treasure.

ttf_SilverBone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: Gicking on Nov 19, 2017, 06:20PM
I’ll have to renew my efforts to get Duda to make his own bell Williams 6 bell section.  He’s a master, a treasure.

Duda has made a few Williams 6 bells.  I have one of them, as part of a complete horn he made for me.  It's a great horn!

Duda has also made at least one Williams 4 bell (in copper, special for John Noxon).  If he ever decides to make another, I'm probably a customer.
ttf_dj kennedy

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

this     one  is    moving   //deal  has been  made   ///[very solid  maybe  !!!!!!]

Quote from: chris.amemiya on Nov 05, 2017, 06:29AMDJ, is this the one at Best Instrument Repair? If so, I probably played on it yesterday. It is missing the Williams water key (King water key in its place). It plays pretty well. I think it is on consignment and they are asking something like 2350.

ttf_dj kennedy

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

this     one  is    moving   //deal  has been  made   ///[very solid  maybe  !!!!!!]

Quote from: chris.amemiya on Nov 05, 2017, 06:29AMDJ, is this the one at Best Instrument Repair? If so, I probably played on it yesterday. It is missing the Williams water key (King water key in its place). It plays pretty well. I think it is on consignment and they are asking something like 2350.

Return to “Instruments”