Earl Williams Trombone

ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Just got my first Earl Williams Horn  (Model 6)!!!  This horn is a beast, I never would have imagined the sound that this thing produces! 

I am hooked on my trombone right now.  Can't feel my lips, but I keep playing.  Kinda like someone put some tobacco in the mouthpiece.  I am addicted to playing it!

This horn isn't leaving my grip.  If anyone sees me selling it, tell me to stop!  I have that awful habit of getting a new horn every week.  Knock some sense into me!

All and all, this is the most amazing horn I have ever played!!!!  Image
ttf_anonymous

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_anonymous »

sounds to me like you don't need to buy a horn next week..  Image
ttf_DaveAshley

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

I hope it says "EARL WILLIAMS" and not "EARL WILLIAM" I'd be concerned about a cheap Chinese knockoff  Image

Is it Burbank? Los Angeles, Donelson? New from Tulsa?

((Oh, and don't I remember you being a part of the Williams-trashing session a couple of weeks ago?))
ttf_anonymous

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_anonymous »

William.  Yuk, yuk.

Give it a rest, man. Seriously.
ttf_SLewis

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_SLewis »

Congrats on finding the Williams 6.  They are a bit like hen's teeth...

Is this the horn you bought?  Just curious.   

Quote from: bachbone on Jan 09, 2009, 06:02PMI had the opportunity to play a williams today Image at a local gig, and I didn't like how it played.  It was really tight in the upper registers and I felt like I had to push too hard to get some sound out of it.  Air was coming out of my nose from pushing too hard.

It was a Williams 6, looked really nice, but I don't think I would use it as my main axe.  I am sure that it wasn't one of William's best Image

Just goes to show that you need to play before saying you will buy it.  $1200-1600 sounds like a good deal, but I wouldn't spend that much money on that horn, unless I went back in time to get it fixed by the original maker Image

ttf_Malec Heermans

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Malec Heermans »

Quote from: Leanit on Jan 23, 2009, 08:06PMWilliam.  Yuk, yuk.

Hey Leanit, seriously, this guy Bachbone is a leach and Dave (a long time contributing member) has treated him with more respect than he deserves.
ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Quote from: onetrombone on Jan 23, 2009, 08:50PMCongrats on finding the Williams 6.  They are a bit like hen's teeth...

Is this the horn you bought?  Just curious.   

No, I didn't buy that horn.  I found another.  Shipped it to me and I loved it.

I played one at a gig and it just wasn't my thing.  The first one I played was just too hard to get air behind.  This one is a totally different horn!

Quote from: DaveAshley on Jan 23, 2009, 07:50PMI hope it says "EARL WILLIAMS" and not "EARL WILLIAM" I'd be concerned about a cheap Chinese knockoff  Image

Is it Burbank? Los Angeles, Donelson? New from Tulsa?

((Oh, and don't I remember you being a part of the Williams-trashing session a couple of weeks ago?))

That was funny!  I was in a rush to get somewhere and I forgot to put the S in Williams Image .  Not a China brand at all.  Fixed it though!  Burbank CA

Quote from: Leanit on Jan 23, 2009, 08:06PMWilliam.  Yuk, yuk.

I don't know what this means.
ttf_Hornman805

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Hornman805 »

Slightly off topic... I played the Kanstul "Williams" at the NAMM Show and I loved it. One of the best small bore horns I played that day.
ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

I talked with John (the Williams King) and he said that the Kanstul Williams are very good remakes of the original. 

If you talk to anyone about Williams horns, ask him!  He knows just about everything about them.  You could easily spend an hour talking with him on the phone!  Image
ttf_Koz

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Koz »

Quote from: bachbone on Jan 23, 2009, 06:50PMJust got my first Earl Williams Horn  (Model 6)!!!  This horn is a beast, I never would have imagined the sound that this thing produces! All and all, this is the most amazing horn I have ever played!!!!  Image
Did Jack Teagarden own this horn too???

JJ?

Urbie?

Carl?

Rosolino?

This kids got a million of them.

ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Quote from: Koz on Jan 24, 2009, 04:08AMDid Jack Teagarden own this horn too???

JJ?

Urbie?

Carl?

Rosolino?

This kids got a million of them.

I don't have one played by Jack Teagarden.  The one I claimed was actually from a person trying to scam me.  He got away with $5000 of my dollars for a couple of months before I got him.

All I had was his first name and phone number before he changed it.  No bank account, no last name, no info whatsoever except for those two little things.  I got my money back though.  Well, a reasonable amount of money (let the guy have a some money for his horn).

He got his share of detention since the last time I heard.
ttf_Leanit

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Leanit »

Quote from: malec on Jan 23, 2009, 09:38PMHey Leanit, seriously, this guy Bachbone is a leach and Dave (a long time contributing member) has treated him with more respect than he deserves.

I know it, man. I used to think he was a for-real *****, but now I'm pretty sure it's somebody just messing with us.
ttf_jnoxon

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_jnoxon »

The Kanstul is a good horn. But it is not a Williams. Not even the correct alloy/materials were used. Completely different horn. But a good one.
ttf_The Sheriff

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

The Williams is a good horn. But it is not a Kanstul.  Image

Seriously, if you can find a good Williams they're GREAT. But like any hand made horn not all of them are winners.

Earl used cartridge brass which contains very small amounts of tin and lead. Kanstul does not. Many believe that the cartridge brass has alot to do with the Williams characteristic sound. Maybe so. I suspect it's not only the cartridge brass but his excellent design and craftmanship as well.

My Kanstul 1606 is right up there with the very best horns I've ever played. It also happens to be the prototype that Zig built and seems to be, for whatever reason, a very special axe. A real player.

Resonance! Resonance is something that seems to be missing in many new, modern day instruments.

I have an old Martin Committee that I played for thirteen years and it has one of the most resonant sounding bells I've ever played. Lovely!

I quit playing it because the small .484 bore just didn't do the trick anymore. But alas, I recently slapped on my .500 bore 1606 slide to the Martin bell and............ Image Image Image

Aside from the slide not being able to lock up correctly to the Martin bell, it was a good tight fit and every note was in tune. My beloved Committe bell shall be re-born as I now have a 1606 receiver on the way for my repairman to make the change.

My repairman took all of the necessary measurements and says I should be good to go.

I have two 1606 slides, one nickel and one brass. They're both great, just different.

I also have a mint 1953 Martin Indiana bell which I actually like better than the Committee bell. The Indiana is all yellow brass and heavy, whereas the Committee bell is rose brass and heavy.

If all goes well with the Committee bell/Kanstul slide, I'll have the receiver changed on the Indiana too.

Sorry about getting off topic here. But yeah, Williams. GREAT horns.

ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Quote from: dj kennedy on Jan 26, 2009, 02:16PMspit  key //// finish  ---hum  ---

Exactly!  I will ask some questions to see if it is refurbished, hopefully they will post the answers on the ebay page, if not, I will post them here.

Any guesses to what the price will end up to be?  These are always interesting to watch
ttf_anonymous

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: dj kennedy on Jan 26, 2009, 02:16PMspit  key //// finish  ---hum  ---

funny too how all the pics are good...except the one with the logo!
ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Quote from: lowerlip on Jan 26, 2009, 02:28PM funny too how all the pics are good...except the one with the logo!

Sometimes close up pictures are hard to take.  Maybe he doesn't know how to use his camera.  It could be in the far away setting when he was trying to take a close-up.

I am asking him some questions though.
ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Look real closely to the pics.  on one of them, the date is the 31st.  That is kinda weird especially since the other pictures were taken yesterday, or were they?
ttf_DaveAshley

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

I'm not sure but that MIGHT be a Williams I owned about 7 or 8 years ago.  It was in need of some repair, but sounded awesome. The slide was worn to death, and it had amado water keys on the top and bottom of the crook so you can flip the slide upside down to avoid wear. It had been refinished in a pretty poor lacquer job. I figured it'd take some work to make it a daily player, but I didn't even know where to start to get the parts. I do remember that someone from the L.A. area bought it, and it wasn't John Noxon. The serial number 814 sure sounds familiar, but I'm not sure.
Here's the only picture I have of the horn:

ttf_JohnL

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: dj kennedy on Jan 26, 2009, 02:16PMspit  key //// finish  ---hum  ---I wouldn't put much stock in the water key, one way or the other. Some guys didn't like the Williams design and had it changed. I don't know for sure when he started using the design, but he didn't file for a patent until 1945. I'm pretty certain the Wallace-Williams and early Williams had conventional spit valves.
ttf_Bellend

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Bellend »

Quote from: The Sheriff on Jan 25, 2009, 07:33PMThe Williams is a good horn. But it is not a Kanstul.  Image

Earl used cartridge brass which contains very small amounts of tin and lead. Kanstul does not. Many believe that the cartridge brass has alot to do with the Williams characteristic sound. Maybe so. I suspect it's not only the cartridge brass but his excellent design and craftmanship as well.

Just for the record " cartridge brass " is just another name for 70/30 brass, there is so much bull talked about all this.

The following is lifted from a non ferrous suppliers catalouge.

Typical Uses for C26000 Cartridge Brass "70%"

Architecture: Grillwork

Automotive: Electrical Connectors, Radiator Cores, Tanks, Heater Cores, Radiator Tanks, Odometer Contacts, Thermostats, Radiator Tube

Builders Hardware: Decorative Hardware, Door Knobs, Finish Hardware, Hinges, Kick Plates, Locks, Push Plates

Consumer: Bird Cages, Costume Jewelry, Syringe Parts, Chain Links, Watch Parts, Coinage, Etched Articles, Pen/Pencil Inserts and Clips, Lamps, Shells - Electrical Sockets, Buttons, Snaps, Planters, Fireplace Screens

Electrical: Reflectors, Lamp Fixtures, Flashlight Shells, Screw Shells, Terminal Connectors

Fasteners: Eyelets, Screws, Grommets, Rivets, Pins, Fasteners

Industrial: Sound Proofing Equipment, Heat Exchangers, Wire Screens, Pump Cylinders, Tubing for Instruments and Machines, Air Pressure Conveyer Systems, Liners, Springs, Power Cylinders, Pumps, Bead Chain, Chain

Ordnance: Ammunition Cartridge Cases, Ammunition, Mechanical Housings for Lighters, Shells - Mechanical Housings for Ammunition

Other: Washers, Stencils

Plumbing: Faucet Escutcheons, Plumbing Accessories, Fittings, Bathroom Fixtures, Traps, Plumbing Brass Goods

Chemical Composition for C26000
(%max., unless shown as range or min.)

Cu Fe Pb Zn
Min./Max. 68.5-71.5 .05 .07 Rem.
Nominal 70.0 - - 30.0

Note: Cu + Sum of Named Elements, 99.7% min.
NATIONAL BRONZE

What made Earl Williams horns great was Earl Williams not some 'magic' metal

BellEnd

ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

This is what he said:

QuoteNo the horn is not refurbished its been maintained, and I it is the original finish, It was made by Earl Williams a Trombone maker inthe 1920's in Los Angeles and Burbank CA. The engraving is on the horn and it says Manf by Earl Williams in Los Angeles CA, The Serial number 6-814 is on the nut.
Hard to believe that is hasn't been refurbished!  What does its been maintained mean?  Could have 2 different meanings.  Maintained as in took care of, or maintained by a repair shop with an easy coat of lacquer each month.
ttf_BGuttman

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: bachbone on Jan 26, 2009, 06:10PM...or maintained by a repair shop with an easy coat of lacquer each month.

Don't think that would be likely or possible, Koda.  If they put a new coat of lacquer on the old stuff, the horn would be encased in a thick layer of lacquer and would be dead as a doornail (sound-wise).  The cost and time delay of having the lacquer stripped and reapplied even twice a year would make the horn cost 6 times what it was new.  Plus, with all the buffing necessary to prepare for the relacquer you'd have no engraving left.

Well-maintained means he didn't abuse it, and kept it in the case most of the time.  Probably original lacquer.  Sounds minty to me.

ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

I probably should have said every week to display more sarcasm.  It would be highly unethical either way of doing it every month.  Lacquer doesn't wear that fast, so that is where I thought of the sarcasm (I may need to work on that).  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I wouldn't say unethical; just stupid.  The value of any trombone (or any other musical instrument for that matter) is revealed when it is used to play music.  An Amati is just a bunch of firewood until somebody like Pinkhas Zuckerman puts a bow to it.  Putting a thick coat of lacquer on will take a wonderful instrument and make it into a wall-hanger.  Denis Wick actually relayed a story to this effect in his Trombone Technique.

ttf_JohnL

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_JohnL »

I don't think Williams was making horns in this configuration in the 1920's, but the seller doesn't specifically claim the horn is of that vintage.

Some thoughts on materials...

I can't see a small operation like Earl Williams having a great deal of control over his raw stock. He just wouldn't be buying enough volume to be able to do more than call up Copper and Brass Sales or someone like them and order off-the-shelf sizes and alloys. He might have piggybacked on Olds' orders, but even they probably didn't do enough volume to deal directly with a mill.

As for leaded brass? Doubtful. Lead improves machinability and hot working properties, but impairs cold working properties. He might well have used leaded brass for machined parts, but not anything he had to cold form (i.e., tube drawing and bell spinning).
ttf_The Sheriff

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

Bellend, I never said Earl used some kind of 'magic' metal.

Interesting that two very well known horn builders that I know have told me that cartridge brass is different than 70/30 brass.

And I think all of us are aware that what made his horns great was Earl himself.

I don't see brass instruments in your list of typical uses for cartridge brass.
ttf_tbarh

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_tbarh »

Yes, cartridgebrass is nominally a 70/30 brass ,but because of the way it is made, it is impossible to make it as "clean" as more modern brass types... Some people means that this "unevenness" of the metal makes the "zen" of a horn. My `34 Conn has cartridge brass in the bellflare but not in the rest of the bell tubing! This horn is obviously a prime example of great workmanship!... Does the brass alloy in the bell contribute ? ; I have no idea, but the fact that he bell tubing is made from another alloy than the bell tubing should leave some clues, ..not?

tbarh
ttf_DaveAshley

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Earl bought a truckload of cartridge brass from the government after WWII.  It is actual cartridge brass, and he used the same load of brass for every instrument he made from that point on.

Many sax players think the Selmer Mark VI's from the 50's are the best.  Apparently those are made with cartridge brass as well. They say the ones after a certain serial number were made with regular brass, which softened the metal and made the sound more diffuse. 
ttf_dj kennedy

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

yeah  the  flip  flop slide 
========
that  one  was on the  otj  ---

Quote from: DaveAshley on Jan 26, 2009, 03:00PMI'm not sure but that MIGHT be a Williams I owned about 7 or 8 years ago.  It was in need of some repair, but sounded awesome. The slide was worn to death, and it had amado water keys on the top and bottom of the crook so you can flip the slide upside down to avoid wear. It had been refinished in a pretty poor lacquer job. I figured it'd take some work to make it a daily player, but I didn't even know where to start to get the parts. I do remember that someone from the L.A. area bought it, and it wasn't John Noxon. The serial number 814 sure sounds familiar, but I'm not sure.
Here's the only picture I have of the horn:

ttf_Duffle

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Duffle »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 26, 2009, 07:56PMI wouldn't say unethical; just stupid.  The value of any trombone (or any other musical instrument for that matter) is revealed when it is used to play music.  An Amati is just a bunch of firewood until somebody like Pinkhas Zuckerman puts a bow to it.  Putting a thick coat of lacquer on will take a wonderful instrument and make it into a wall-hanger.  Denis Wick actually relayed a story to this effect in his Trombone Technique.

A heavy coat of lacquer put paid to a great '58 8H. Mind you, he probably blew the instrument out, knowing how much volume he was able to generate on that instrument........
ttf_Bellend

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Bellend »

Quote from: The Sheriff on Jan 26, 2009, 11:23PMBellend, I never said Earl used some kind of 'magic' metal.

I don't see brass instruments in your list of typical uses for cartridge brass.

It does actually say tubing for instruments and machines if you look again.

Here's another alloy list:

Brass types
Admiralty brass contains 30% zinc and 1% tin which inhibits dezincification in most environments.

Alpha brasses (Prince's metal), with less than 35% zinc, are malleable, can be worked cold, and are used in pressing, forging, or similar applications. They contain only one phase, with face-centered cubic crystal structure.

Alpha-beta brass (Muntz metal), also called duplex brass, is 35-45% zinc and is suited for hot working. It contains both α and β' phase; the β'-phase is body-centered cubic and is harder and stronger than α. Alpha-beta brasses are usually worked hot.

Aluminium brass contains aluminium, which improves its corrosion resistance. It is used in Euro coins (Nordic gold).

Arsenical brass contains an addition of arsenic and frequently aluminium and is used for boiler fireboxes.

Beta brasses, with 45-50% zinc content, can only be worked hot, and are harder, stronger, and suitable for casting.

Cartridge brass is a 30% zinc brass with good cold working properties.

Common brass, or rivet brass, is a 37% zinc brass, cheap and standard for cold working.

DZR brass is dezincification resistant brass with a small percentage of arsenic.

Gilding metal is the softest type of brass commonly available. An alloy of 95% copper and 5% zinc, gilding metal is typically used for ammunition components.

High brass contains 65% copper and 35% zinc, has a high tensile strength and is used for springs, screws, and rivets.

Leaded brass is an alpha-beta brass with an addition of lead. It has excellent machinability.

Low brass is a copper-zinc alloy containing 20% zinc with a light golden color and excellent ductility; it is used for flexible metal hoses and metal bellows.

Naval brass, similar to admiralty brass, is 40% zinc and 1% tin.

Red brass is an American term for the copper-zinc-tin alloy known as gunmetal, which is technically not brass,.

Rich low brass (Tombac) is 15% zinc. It is often used in jewelry applications.

White brass contains more than 50% zinc and is too brittle for general use.

Yellow brass is an American term for 33% zinc brass.

As you can see there are a myriad of brass alloys of which cartridge brass is just one.

Quote from: The Sheriff on Jan 26, 2009, 11:23PMBellend,

Interesting that two very well known horn builders that I know have told me that cartridge brass is different than 70/30 brass.

Well, they are mistaken, and or just continuing the myth, or possibly just full of s**t  Image

I have  in the past worked in the manufacture of brass instruments and spent a considerable amount of time researching brass alloys.

I became friendly with the guy who owned the rolling mill that supplied us brass and gilding metal
( see above list ) and he was kind enough to analise various samples of vintage alloys in there quality control lab, and certainly post WW2 cartridge brass is just 70/30 copper zinc alloy.

FWIW

BellEnd

ttf_tbarh

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_tbarh »

bellend , i have been told that the production  of the bellmaterial of my horn was terminated just fore the outbreak of WW2 because the government needed all of it to produce cartridges... The method of manufacturing this metal was later abandoned( maybe after WW2 ) because of the toxicity and environmental impact it had... It was replaced by a much cheaper method that made a more clean brass. I have heared from a lot of people that the generic sound of Conn instruments from pre-WW2, has a unique ,dark quality , even the small sizes... I can certainly vouch for this as mine has a very dark "formant" to the sound... Wether this is really "cartridge brass"or some other kind I am not sure of.. The only thing I am dead sure of is that the colur of the bellflare is different from the bell tubing(which is normal yellow brass).... I am not familiar with original Williams horns, but from the pictures i have seen ,it seems very similar in colour to my horn..

tbarh
ttf_Bellend

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Bellend »

tbahr, I can't comment on pre WW2 brass  because I didn't have any to get looked at so you may well be right.

I will make some inquiries to try and get a definitive answer to this question.

I certainly agree with you that pre WW2 Conns have a tangable difference to post WW2 ones and I have seen the difference in colour between bell and tubing. The pre WW2 bells seems also to be harder than the later ones although this could down to something as simple as some of the workforce retiring and or a change in the manufacturing process. This might also account for the fact that to me the pre WW2 red brass bells seem different to the later ones. Image

To came back to the thread, we had a customer come in to the shop years ago who had two Williams trombones. The first he bought from the man himself way back when, and the second was I think Caliccihio and he far preferred the newer one, so go figure.

BellEnd
ttf_jnoxon

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_jnoxon »

Scott good to see you again!

Yes Earl did use what was termed Cartridge Brass. Higher Zinc and Tin content than yellow brass. It is harder to work than yellow brass, because it is a bit stiffer. Tooling wears faster and the word Zig Kanstul uses to describe it is "brittle". It is more brittle to work with on a machine than yelow brass. That is why he wont use it. John Duda can tell you the same thing. The horn is from prior to 1964. The logo on the bell tells me it is from the Santa Monica Blvd shop prior to Burbank Ca. And Dave Ashley may be right sure looks like his old honr with the double spit valve. And it has obviou;sy been refinished. The earliest horn of this configuration, modern so to speak, I have found goes back to about 1946.
ttf_DaveAshley

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Hey John, what about the handslide grip?  Definitely not Burbank style.  Was the star-grip later, or has this been replaced too?
Also, the male piece on the slide looks awfully brown -- if this were original condition, the chrome plating would still cover that piece.  (or was that a Burbank thing only? I know the silver is different on the handgrips)
ttf_jnoxon

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_jnoxon »

Lot of the grips were changed Dave. They wore holes in them over time, they were hollow to begin with, The receiver looks worn like one of mine. The hard Chrome wears off and the brass comes through. Sure lokos like your old horn to me! How have you been?
ttf_Bellend

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_Bellend »

Quote from: tbarh on Jan 28, 2009, 10:34AMbellend , i have been told that the production  of the bellmaterial of my horn was terminated just fore the outbreak of WW2 because the government needed all of it to produce cartridges... The method of manufacturing this metal was later abandoned( maybe after WW2 ) because of the toxicity and environmental impact it had... It was replaced by a much cheaper method that made a more clean brass. I have heard from a lot of people that the generic sound of Conn instruments from pre-WW2, has a unique ,dark quality , even the small sizes... I can certainly vouch for this as mine has a very dark "formant" to the sound... Wether this is really "cartridge brass"or some other kind I am not sure of.. The only thing I am dead sure of is that the colour of the bellflare is different from the bell tubing(which is normal yellow brass).... I am not familiar with original Williams horns, but from the pictures i have seen ,it seems very similar in colour to my horn..

tbarh

Hi tbarh,

I submitted the following question to The Copper Development Agency to try and establish if there was any factual evidence for the various rumours and storeys  that we have both heard .

Below is the response to Case No. 167158

Your question was: Dear Sir / Madam, I am trombonist who has also been involved in the manufacture of brass instruments. Over the years have been told anecdotally on numerous occasions that the composition of Cartridge Brass changed around the period of the second world war and that instruments produced before this supposed change took place are Superior in tone to ones made after. I was wondering wether you could shed any light on this and tell me whether there actually was any change in the composition and or manufacturing process for this alloy at any point during the last century?

Yours faithfully,

A. Hutchinson

Response: Andy,

I have been involved in the US copper and brass industry for 48 years and am not aware of such a change ever being made. The deep drawing properties of Cartridge Brass is a function of the composition and the processing
in particular the penultimate anneal.

It is possible that the nominal composition 70/30 Cu/Zn was pushed to the high side for zinc in an attempt to conserve copper which was a critical metal during the war. The US penny in 1943 was minted as a zinc coated steel coin to conserve copper.

There are several histories on copper and brass, one by a note US metallurgist, Cyril Stanley Smith comes to mind. You could also check with the CDA affiliate in the UK at:

Copper Development Association
5 Grovelands Business Centre
Boundary Way
Hemel Hempstead
Herts HP2 7TE
UK
Phone: +44 (1442) 275 705
Fax +44 (1442) 275 716
E-mail: [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

Angela Vessey,
Director

I will continue to search for information and if I find anything I'll get back to you.

Regards,
Lou Lozano
Metallurgical Consultant, CDA

Interesting what Mr Louzano sais about the zinc content may be beeing pushed to the high side to preserve copper. However given that the tolerance range for the alloy is quite tight at:

Chemical Composition for C26000
(%max., unless shown as range or min.)

Cu Fe Pb Zn
Min./Max. 68.5-71.5 .05 .07 Rem.
Nominal 70.0 - - 30.0

Note: Cu + Sum of Named Elements, 99.7% min.

Having the zinc content at the top figure can't change the workability of the alloy too much otherwise it would have become unsuitable for it's primary purpose......making cartridges.

So then.......who's gonna cut a little bit off their Earl Williams bell so we can find out for sure  Image  Image  Image  Image  Image  Image  Image

BellEnd

ttf_DaveAshley

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

I betcha Noxon has some scrap parts.
ttf_JohnL

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: DaveAshley on Jan 29, 2009, 07:01AMI betcha Noxon has some scrap parts.If he'll get me some parts, I'll foot the bill for some analysis.

John Sandhagen - if you're monitoring this discussion - do you think the remains of my Williams leadpipe are still in your shop someplace?
ttf_jnoxon

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_jnoxon »

Jeez, Dave what would make you think I have any spare parts........
ttf_tbarh

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_tbarh »

Wow , Andy!....done some homework here, have we?  Image

As I have said earlier whether the bell flare alloy of my horn (and probably Williams) really is an old cartridge brass version, may be hearsay or as You put it, a rumour! This has been discussed here before by Gary Greenhoe who thinks that the quality of these instrument has nothing to do with the fact that they were made of Cartridge brass, infact he thinks it probably is made of standard yellow brass..
My question still remains: Why did the Conn technicians choose to use another material in the bell ?.... The colour is clearly darker but not so much that the difference in copper content would play a big role! (the colour is a little more "brownish" than standard yellow brass..  )

tbarh
ttf_blast

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: tbarh on Jan 30, 2009, 01:36AMWow , Andy!....done some homework here, have we?  Image

As I have said earlier whether the bell flare alloy of my horn (and probably Williams) really is an old cartridge brass version, may be hearsay or as You put it, a rumour! This has been discussed here before by Gary Greenhoe who thinks that the quality of these instrument has nothing to do with the fact that they were made of Cartridge brass, infact he thinks it probably is made of standard yellow brass..
My question still remains: Why did the Conn technicians choose to use another material in the bell ?.... The colour is clearly darker but not so much that the difference in copper content would play a big role! (the colour is a little more "brownish" than standard yellow brass..  )

tbarh

One of the Thein brothers looked at my 1934 Conn 70H and said the bell and back bow were 78/22 which was a common mix in Europe. You might as well call it 80/20... and I know someone on this thread that has made bells in that.
It may be as simple as Conn getting brass sheet at 80/20 and tube at 70/30... because that is what was easiest (or cheapest) to get.

Chris Stearn
ttf_JohnL

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: blast on Jan 31, 2009, 02:53AMIt may be as simple as Conn getting brass sheet at 80/20 and tube at 70/30... because that is what was easiest (or cheapest) to get.Aw, but that would take all the fun out of it! Image
ttf_john sandhagen

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_john sandhagen »

Maybe?  You've seen the shop Image

I'll look around...
ttf_JohnL

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: john sandhagen on Feb 02, 2009, 12:44PMMaybe?  You've seen the shop Image

I'll look around...I suspect part of my Olds pipe is still at the bottom of that box of cornet parts. Image
ttf_bachbone

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

ttf_DaveAshley

Earl Williams Trombone

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Quote from: bachbone on Feb 04, 2009, 10:03PMHere is mine.

http://photobucket.com/williams6sn1055

Serial #1055??????

MINE is #1055

This is the most bizarre thing ever.

Will the real Earl Williams Model 6 #1055 please stand up??

Return to “Instruments”