Ones that got away.

ttf_BobbyBoneless

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_BobbyBoneless »

The Conn 88H I pawned a couple of years after I left school. I was so naive about horns at the time.

A Bach 36 that I sold on ebay for way not enough money.  Didn't know what I had at the time.

A Benge 190C that I really wish I had back.  I'll find another 190F one of these days, when I have the money as well.

A silver King 5B that I should never have sold.

A Yammie 354 that was a beautiful playing horn.  Wish I had that one back as well.  I'll find another one someday that plays as well as that one did.  Have one now that isn't as good.
ttf_macbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_macbone »

You unloaded a silver King 5B!?  Tut tut. Image   To help you feel better, I sold off my silver Holton 65 - no contact points wear, no dents, no inner slide skid marks.  Didn't realize how rare they are, in good condition....nertz.   Image
ttf_BobbyBoneless

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_BobbyBoneless »

Yeah, I loved the way it sounded, but as with all Kings that have extra plumbing, it was a problem for me to hold.  The horn I really want back someday, though, is the Benge 190F.  THAT is the horn I should never have parted with.
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My biggest regret is selling my Kanstul combination mouthpiece set: 3 rims, 2 shanks, 7 cups in a fitted case with the cool Kanstul "K" on it. Got it crazy cheap, sold it for even less. I could kick myself.
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Just today, I was checking eBay, and the first result under newly listed was a nice looking Bach 16 for bidding at 350 or buy it now at 500. I immediately clicked on it and was planning to buy it (great deal, right?) but someone had already beat me to the buzzer in the first 5 or 10 minutes that it was up. The real kicker, though, was that when I looked at the pictures afterwards just curious about its condition and perplexed by the price, I saw it was a Mt Vernon in great looking condition.  Image That is why you do your research before selling something you don't know anything about.
ttf_macbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_macbone »

BobbyBoneless, so you love the 190F?  I guess lots of people do, and just as many are indifferent about them.  Never tried one myself.      This is like me and my Conn 100H.  Seems like a lot of players yawn about them, then go look for a minty 6H instead, or get a King 2B+.  My Conn does exactly what I want it to do. Image
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Every horn I ever look at on Ebay!!! I am lusting after an Olds Super but have no money, so many gone so cheap lately  Image
ttf_Remo

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Remo »

Probably this Getzen 725 I've been borrowing/evaluating on a couple orchestral gigs for the season.  I just can't seem to find the funds for it right now.  Hopefully it'll still be available when I do.

But the real ultra loss was my 1976 Kawasaki KH500.  It was in near perfect condition when I sold it in 1983, and knowing me, it would still be today, and worth 20x more.

ttf_nutz4boltz

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_nutz4boltz »

Having to sell my 1968 Conn Elkhart 62H.

It had the lighter weight slide version. I believe some 62H's had an additional cross brace in the slide where the tuning mechanism was located. Mine did not. I was the second owner and it was pristine! Bought it in '78. Had to sell in 2014 and it was all original and still pristine.  Image
Someone out west has a hell of a horn!

Hope I am never in that position again. Hope none of our faithful readers end up there, either!
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Oh boy ....... Have I got a story about many "ones" that got away.
Back in the day ... There was a closet in the back of the basement in the Northwestern University music building that served as storage for old marching band horns that were there simply because they didn't match the newest ones that were being used on the field  at the time. There were dirty beaters of course, but there were three or four New York Bach 42s and at least one NY 50. Not to mention some really interesting Minick modded horns and these Bundy bass trombone prototypes that Kleinhammer supposedly was testing. I looked through these instruments once when an assistant band director I was buddies with said he was going to the "brass cave" for some extra trumpet cases. It was a sight. A mint treasure chest... Sounds like a fairy tale. Things just worked differently in those days.  but ........ because of some bureaucratic horse sh%# the campus cops were the only ones with access to the keys. Don't ask why. That's how it was.
After some ultra persistent nagging I got my buddy to get a hold of those keys a few days later and most of the lot was gone. Yeah, gone. Last I remember they believe a janitor cut the lock and took the horns and that was that. Never seen again. All I know is I saw that "brass cave" and I've never seen anything like it.

Wonder where those "ones" are now.
With the greats in the heaven above perhaps.
ttf_JimArcher

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_JimArcher »

Another one lost on eBay. There was recently an Olds P-16, I lost it in the bidding.  I wanted it simply for the counterweight, the one with the silvered (rather than blue) sticker.  (It's shown up again at a much, much higher price.)
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Here's my story.......Was surfing Craigslist in the Chicagoland area and saw an ad stating "Conn Trombone $250 OBO". There were two pics posted. After some careful zooming in on the engraving on the bell I immediately contacted the seller and offered her the asking price and stated I would be at her house at 1pm Saturday. She took the posting down. Now, here's the gamble. I live in Saint Paul, MN so it was a 5 1/2 hour drive to get to the sellers home. A lot of time to contemplate if I was buying the real thing, or absolute junk.

I arrived at the home and was greeted by the seller. She said that the horn had been sitting in a closet for the last 30 years collecting dust. I looked at the trombone on the table and had to hold back my excitement.........it's an Elkhart-built Conn 88H. Besides for the dust and a few minor dents on the tuning slide, it was in perfect shape! Original lacquer and all! The playability....I haven't touched my Getzen Custom Series in some time. So....this one didn't get away!!!
ttf_Arrowhead99

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Arrowhead99 »

A completely refurbished and restored silver plated (w/ gold wash, w/counterweight) Olds Recording trombone I put up on eBay about 2 years ago.
Only ONE person bid on it, and it went for $400. It had a perfect slide and everything. I even included a nice/lavish gator hard case.
What the hell was I thinking. And secondly, why did no one bid on it? Would folks rather dish out $2,000 for a brand new King, Bach (or whatever)? I don't get it....
Anyways, I want my horn back!
ttf_macbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_macbone »

Yeesh, I can empathize....thought selling off my nearly-cherry Holton 65 for $350 was bad.  Image
ttf_Tbonedude

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

I'll revive a dormant thread and share my experience today.

This morning, a gem popped up on Ebay- a King Flugabone that was in very good shape other than a crunched bell. It was very cheap, and I was looking to buy it for Christmas for myself (in my family, we pick out our gifts). I had to leave for school soon, and I didn't think I had time to buy it before I left. I figured I'd buy it after school.

Shortly after noon, I get the gut feeling that it was purchased already. In study hall, my girlfriend let me check ebay with her phone and my suspicions were confirmed. I'm really kicking myself because I had time to buy it in the morning but didn't figure that out until it was too late and I had to leave.

But I have my eyes on a different instrument now, whose auction ends tomorrow just after school, so we'll see how that goes.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Another revive for this thread.

Sold my Eklhart (1952) silver plated Conn 6H to help pay for my tenor sackbut a few years back. Regretted selling that horn the minute I got the money...

About a year ago, William Petit put this little gem up for sale. I heard about it a few days too late, he had just sold it when I contacted him.

ttf_LeoInFL

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

Missed out on 2 nice trombones in the past few months:

A Minick-modified Holton TR180 in the UK that sold for $650.

And a Wallace Bass Trombone (with the manual 2nd valve) in the USA that sold for, I believe, $2300.

ttf_Migsbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Migsbone »

Quote from: Le.Tromboniste on Dec 04, 2017, 12:11PMAnother revive for this thread.

Sold my Eklhart (1952) silver plated Conn 6H to help pay for my tenor sackbut a few years back. Regretted selling that horn the minute I got the money...

About a year ago, William Petit put this little gem up for sale. I heard about it a few days too late, he had just sold it when I contacted him.

That is BEAUTIFUL!

I don't know much about Trombones but that thing is BEAUTIFUL. What a work of art!

ttf_macbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_macbone »

Now I see where King got the idea for the curved bell brace LOL

ttf_gregs70

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Local Facebook Marketplace had "Trombone $100" with a picture.  It looked like a King 3B-F! By the time I saw it and contacted her, it was spoken for.  Image
ttf_slide advantage

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

ttf_slide advantage

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Return to “Instruments”