Ones that got away.

ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I almost posted this on 'found on the net'.

Have you ever spotted an incredible deal on a nice horn, only to get beaten to the punch? Well that just happened to me.

I spotted this one on craigslist while browsing under different Texas cities.

http://wichitafalls.craigslist.org/msg/3006162571.html

Yes, that is a mid-60s 6H, and he wanted $50. 

SOLD damn! Image
ttf_MrPillow

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Not exactly one that got away, but one I threw away  Image I found a Dave Smith Prophet '08 Special Edition synthesizer (one of 300 ever made, signed by Dave himself) at a pawn shop for $500, a true steal. I however needed money so I sold it (for $1700...). The cash was nice then but I think I would have enjoyed having the board more now  Image
ttf_lingon

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_lingon »

Quote from: MrPillow on May 26, 2012, 11:15AM...Prophet '08 Special Edition synthesizer...
...The cash was nice then but I think I would have enjoyed having the board more now...
More fun than many of the old metal objects we usually use.  Image
So from this we learn, never sell anything you may have some use for it in the future.  Image

ttf_JimArcher

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_JimArcher »

I've been beaten sev. times, don' recall what they were. One I won: on Seattle Craig's List, a 2nd owner 1938 Olds Super appeared for $150, I was the first responder (among many).  Coffin case, lyre, no slide locks.  (Matched my birth year.) Owner'd had it since the early 50s, played in HS & college (marched without the locks), then it reclined in a basement unplayed. 
ttf_MrPillow

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Quote from: lingon on May 27, 2012, 04:22AMMore fun than many of the old metal objects we usually use.  Image
So from this we learn, never sell anything you may have some use for it in the future.  Image

I tend to follow that motto, and subsequently run out of room  Image
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have a garage sale find from 2 weeks ago.  Gal was selling her high school trombones, and I picked up her mid 70's 42B for $50.  Plays great.  I may have used up my winning the lottery karma on that one.
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: livecat on May 27, 2012, 11:02AMI have a garage sale find from 2 weeks ago.  Gal was selling her high school trombones, and I picked up her mid 70's 42B for $50.  Plays great.  I may have used up my winning the lottery karma on that one.

Great story!
ttf_Jox

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Jox »

There was a horn estate sale and there were two that stuck out.

A Salvation Army model G bass trombone in GREAT condition for $200.
 A Conn double bell euphonium for $700. Yeah the only picture I could find of this online was in a catalog from the 1900s.

If only I wasn't a poor interning college kid. Image
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I saw an ad on craigslist that was listed in my small CA town, and within fifteen minutes of the posting, i called the guy, drove to his house, and bought a King 2B Liberty for $50.  Image
ttf_DaveBb

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_DaveBb »

Some background: Bach Strads of any description are very rare around here and seldom seen for sale.

Here's the online auction description:
Bach, Tenor/Bass Trombone B Flat, F & E
Comes complete with hard case and stand. Beautiful movement in slide and tuning valves. All in excellent condition.

What was in the photos was a 50B2, silver plated with a French-style case so I guess 1970s.  From the photos the "excellent" description was likely accurate. The location was a bit out of the way (a 1 hour flight plus a 3 hour drive for me) if you didn't want to risk shipping.

Unfortunately a bass was not on our houshold's "most needed things" list at the time so I didn't bid. Opening bid was $500 and only reached only somewhere in the $600s. Reserve was $850. The auction site has a facility for the seller to make a fixed price offer to bidders if the reserve isn't met, and it was sold this way. I presume the price was about what the reserve was.

The dollar values I've quoted are $NZ. NZ$1 = US$0.75

At least it went to a good home.  Image
ttf_dalewjohnson

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_dalewjohnson »

Like some other responders here, I have lucked out on a couple of instruments.

I found a Holton bass trumpet in the back room of a music store in the Chicago area, back in the mid 80's. Some small dents, but quite playable. I paid about $50.

At the Kane County (IL) monthly flea market, back in the 80s or early 90s, I found a Buffet clarinet for $50. Turns out it's an early R13 from the mid-50s. It included a Kasper mouthpiece, which could be worth more than my cost for the whole thing.
ttf_LeoInFL

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

i've been very lucky when it comes to finding nice horns. best ones to date:

a near mint King 3BF for $75

a great Olds Super for $35

i believe both were found on CL.

all of my current horns (see my sig) were bought for $300-500. various websites.
ttf_connman93

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_connman93 »

I have a story that fits this thread perfectly, sadly...

My first professional model horn was a Holton TR169 from 1969 that I got in 7th grade from a guy at my church for $75. He wanted to give it to me for free but my parents wanted to pay something for it.

For quite a while I had no idea what I had, until just about a year ago. 4 years or so ago, I was playing tenor trombone parts on this bass trombone and I was told by my private teacher that I should get a tenor because in high school I wasn't at the point where it would be in my best interest to play bass trombone. So I sold the Holton for $1000 and picked up a quite nice Gen II 88h.

If I had any idea what I had there's no way in hell I would have sold it. I don't even know who bought it either, I sold it on consignment through a music store. So, now I'm keeping my eyes peeled and saving my pennies to buy the first one I see. I couldn't care how expensive it is, that horn played like a dream for me so I'll pay anything to have one back...  Image
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

When I began this thread, I was thinking of opportunities to get a great deal that just slipped away, but the previous post put a new spin on the topic.

My very first horn as a 12 year old was a mid to late 60s Conn 6H. And if my memory serves me well, it was in spotless condition when my mom made the deal.

I had it all the way up to my freshman year in high school. At that point, I started to excel, and when I made Symphonic band, I realized I was the only kid with a non-trigger horn. My private teacher encouraged me to get a Bach 42B. We looked around and found just one in the Dallas area music stores.

So my dad (God rest his soul) made a deal. Not knowing what I would realize later, I didn't speak up when a trade in of my 6H was included in the deal.

Then when I got into college I was asked where is my jazz horn. Oh hell.

Then about 30 some odd years later I came full circle and am now back on the 6H. (after a detour on Bach 12s)

Which makes me recall when in 1984 I found a minty Conn 10H in a pawn shop for $75. Not playing Conns at the time, I flipped it for a little profit. Damn, I wish I had that one back too!
ttf_Roger Anderson

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Roger Anderson »

My very first trombone.  It lasted until my senior year of high school, when I got a Van Haney model Holton TR158 for Christmas and college.

My first trombone was an Olds beginning band trombone from the mid 1970s.  Not a great trombone.

But it was my first one.

I loaned it to a friend in college because he needed one for low brass methods class.

But I went to England not long after that and by the time I had gotten back, my friend had graduated and moved.

I haven't seen that little trombone since.

It wasn't a great trombone.  But it was my first one.  I troll ebay looking for one just like it and when I find one, they always want more than I want to pay for such a trombone.

Roger E. A.
Perpetual student of low brass
ttf_EdGrissom

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_EdGrissom »

There is a 1967 Holton Collegiate in a pawnshop here for 120 bucks.  Its in pretty good shape but I just don't know if I should go get it.  What say you?
ttf_salsabone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_salsabone »

Just my 2 cents!!  I do not have my very first trombone - a Holton Collegiate that my dad bought for $5 - I still have my most important second(first real bone) that my parents got me for the next christmas.  A nickle bell curved brace King Tempo that I still have and I played as my only horn from 8th grade until 2 years out of college.  I am very happy that I still have the horn and still use it every once in a while!! Image
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Yeah, I still miss my King 2B that I sold a few years back for $500. 
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Richard Tadaki »

As a lover of Earl Williams Custom Trombones, I am sad to say that I've had opportunities to buy models 7, 9, and 10.  That problem was always a lack of funds.  A pity, really.   Image

Aloha,
Richard
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Or let get away.  I had one small dent in my slide on my 1975 Bach 42B, but the repairman ran a reamer through both outer tubes instead of finessing the job.  Slide still functioned but I was heartbroken.  Sold it in 1989 for $325. 
Case 2:  Had a 1976 King 3B (no frills model) with coffin case that was bought through Giardinelli's as a "factory second" or "blem".  Don't know if one can even get seconds anywhere any more.  Horn always felt a bit stiff to me, slide was never quite 100% and I sold it in 1999 for $475.  Stupid, stupid, stupid....
ttf_Dennis Clason

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Dennis Clason »

I had a 2B Silversonic I picked up for a song my sophomore year in college.  My first year in grad school, I'd stopped playing jazz (and had my 36B if I started up again) and I was in a cash-crunch after moving from California to the midwest.  I sold the 2B for twice what I paid for it.  If I had a time machine, I'd use it to send two messages to myself.

The first one?  "That's a really nice 2B.  Don't even think about selling it, even if it means eating mac-and-cheese and ramen noodles for a month.  If you sell it, you'll regret it later.  And whatever you do, if you do have to sell it, don't sell it to a metal dealer!"

The other one?  When I was a kid in Hilo, we had a big avocado tree in our front yard.  I didn't care much for avocados then.  Me now would tell me then, "Look, knucklehead -- in your future you're going to love avocados and you're going to pay a buck or more each for them.  Eat all of those things you can get!"
ttf_macbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_macbone »

LOL Dennis! 
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I just missed out on a Martin Committee that was $230.  I don't know how good of a deal that is, but to me it is a great deal.  Usually Committees in the condition this one was in seem to go for like $400-$500.  I was pretty bummed about that. 

On a good note I bought a Martin Dansant for $90 bucks!  It is very tarnished but the slide moves well and after cleaning it up a bit I found the gold wash bell is still intact!  So that buy really cheered me up!
ttf_Torobone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Torobone »

So I'm walking my dog, and my neighbor of 20 years across the street says: "You play trombone. I have one here; my son stopped playing. I want to sell it."

1953 6H - Serial 425xxx.

The slide was put away wet about 20 years ago, so I see a bone bath in my future.

It didn't get away yet, but my wife won't let me keep it.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Many wives.
You can re-marry.
Few primo 6H's.

Judge yourself accordingly, Martin.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Chauncey Welsh's Bach 8.  Was in Ferguson's one day... played it, loved it, was gone the next day.  BLAST!
ttf_sdjazz

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_sdjazz »

Just today, there was a prime condition old marching valve bone on eBay for $250. However, I needed to wait until my parents got home to consider it. The thing was bought 30 minutes before they got home. Image
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

An Olds single Bass on eBay today... I didn't need it, but I like the lightness of a single valve... Went cheap too. $650 or so? The bid ended a little before I decided I should take a shot.
ttf_macbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_macbone »

Torobone, that is the stuff of dreams.  I grew up in VT, and an old farm family next town over had a 1930s NY Bach 16 shoved away in the back of the barn or something, unplayed for years.  Lacquer was mostly gone, but all else including case was near orig condition.  I tried to lowball the hillbillies, playing up the age of the horn, then walk away cheap with the prize.  But alas, they had heard good things about the horn from others, were wise to my scheme, and the horn was not for sale  Image
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Ones that got away.

Quote from: macbone on Oct 01, 2012, 07:48AMTorobone, that is the stuff of dreams.  I grew up in VT, and an old farm family next town over had a 1930s NY Bach 16 shoved away in the back of the barn or something, unplayed for years.  Lacquer was mostly gone, but all else including case was near orig condition.  I tried to lowball the hillbillies, playing up the age of the horn, then walk away cheap with the prize.  But alas, they had heard good things about the horn from others, were wise to my scheme, and the horn was not for sale  Image

I hate it when this stuff happens.  I saw what looked like a perfect older hand-engraved 8h sitting on a shelf at an Applebee's as a prop.  I asked if I could buy it and they adamantly stated that none of their props are for sale.  Grumble. 
ttf_Torobone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Update: The slide bath worked. The owner said the horn was restored, and it looks great. The bath loosened things up, and a few paper towels later, a snake, then a couple of cleaning rods later, and the horn is a reasonably good 6H. It has the heavier yellow brass slide. The only imperfections are 2 ballpoint pen-sized dents on the side of the bell. I'm not sure the case is the correct vintage, but it's in great shape as well.

I've owned a 1965 Connstellation 48H since 1975. I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison, and mix and match the slides. I even want to weigh the parts. If it turns out well, I'll put it on youtube. If not, well, I'll write about it instead.  Image

For the playing I do, I'll likely stick with my 891Z afterwards. It will still be fun to play both Conns.

ttf_octavposaune

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_octavposaune »

hi all,

Good Karma has shown upon me again. I now own a utility grade Mirafone 4 valved BBb tuba. I have had a rough week dealing with some personal personnel issues. A friend recommended me for purchasing this horn and whalah!  300 later and I own a tuba finally. Probably a 186. Needs lots of work but it sounds great!  Another moment of Joy at something that didnt get a way!

Benn
ttf_tbarh

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_tbarh »

Hi Benn Image

What did You get in trade for the Conn ? Should be something really interesting !

Trond
ttf_macbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_macbone »

John, a vintage 8H relegated to the wall at Applebee's??  For shame!  Even worse that they wouldn't sell.  Do you know any good cat burglars?  Image   At least my VT farm boys knew what they had.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Ones that got away.

Quote from: macbone on Oct 02, 2012, 05:28AMJohn, a vintage 8H relegated to the wall at Applebee's??  For shame!  Even worse that they wouldn't sell.  Do you know any good cat burglars?  Image   At least my VT farm boys knew what they had.

For shame indeed! The really lame part is that they probably got all of those wall props at garage sales or whatnot. So there's some other ignorant person out there who sold them the thing.
ttf_macbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_macbone »

Image  John
ttf_Mahlerbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Mahlerbone »

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Oct 03, 2012, 01:20PMFor shame indeed! The really lame part is that they probably got all of those wall props at garage sales or whatnot. So there's some other ignorant person out there who sold them the thing.

See if they'll trade it for a Bundy.
ttf_macbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_macbone »

Or a King Cleveland  Image
ttf_FerhyaSlide

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_FerhyaSlide »

not really a story linking to the name of the thread, but it fits in the storys told here
My best friend bought a Baritone horn (unknown brand), it looked terrible, but the valves were ok. The sound was good in high register, low really didn't do much to the heart.
I took the horn, just to try it out for a week. I put some silver-polish and brass-polish to it, and cleaned the outside.
Then we put it up for sale on the same website he bought it.
Bought for €125,-
Sold it for €250,-
I've worked like 2 hours on cleaning it inside and outside.
Fun days =-]
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Oct 03, 2012, 01:20PMFor shame indeed! The really lame part is that they probably got all of those wall props at garage sales or whatnot. So there's some other ignorant person out there who sold them the thing.
As mentioned, offer a bundy or clevland, or BOTH, and throw a $100 bill to boot.
For 2 horns & $100 - they may jerk ya arm off!

T.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I was unemployed a number of years back and had to let a couple go and wish I`d hung just a couple of weeks. Oh well.
I sold a fantastic 1928 Silver Conn 78H and an Elkkie 8H. Both beautiful horns But.....
When I switched to Bachs, I let go a custom 78H with a light weight silver plated slide and a Red Brass bell. Wish I still had that one.
I also had one that self-destructed all on it`s own. I had a 1950 32H that I bought and had overhauled. Received a letter from Anderson stating that they thought that this might have been the 3rd over-haul and they hoped that it would last.
Flash-forward 3 years, I`m in a rehearsal with my Jazz Ensemble getting ready for a concert and I bumped a music stand with the horn. All the solder joints let loose and it completely fell apart. I was left hold the hand grip. All my students looked at each other and without saying a word, they all got up and left the stage. A few minutes later I asked why they left and one kid tells me "We know how you are about your horns and figured that you needed a moment alone". 

ttf_macbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_macbone »

3rd overhaul was the charm, sounds like.  I had a solder joint let go on an almost new Bach 42B, during a tense rehearsal.  The bell section flopped down on my shoulder and stayed there.  Yuck. Image
ttf_FlamingRain

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

Been looking for a Thayer / Axial Flow valve large bore horn for some time now.

A Bach 42T showed up on Craigslist for $1600.  I offered to trade my 42BO and some cash, but he didn't accept, because he doesn't need a horn anymore.

ttf_JimR

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_JimR »

When I was in high school I studied with a teacher who took lessons from Frank Crisufulli at Northwestern.  Mr. C had a Holton 150 he was trying out from the factory and I ended up buying it from him for like $150 (it was 1969 you know).  Played it all through college and beyond. In college w/ a 1 1/2G it served well as a bass in the school's jazz band.  Ended up selling it 15 years later to a high school student so I could buy a new bicycle (I no longer played the horn at all at that time) - Ugh.

Boy do I wish I had that horn back now that I have re-engaged with the trombone!  It is not just that it was a good horn to play, but also because that horn was so much a part of who I was during those years in school - it was my friend  Image

Cheers
Jim
ttf_macbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_macbone »

I know the feeling Jim.  Shoulda kept my 42B and got a new lightweight slide and trigger linkage done  Image
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

SilverSonic King Duo Gravis: $650 BIN on Ebay several years ago.

Just did not have the money at the time...

Still pains me when I think of it!
ttf_macbone

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_macbone »

Alex, that is a shame, if the horn was in playing condition.  A friend has a gorgeous 7B in superb original condition that I just about drool over.
ttf_alexishii

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_alexishii »

Quote from: macbone on Jan 11, 2013, 05:58AMAlex, that is a shame, if the horn was in playing condition.  A friend has a gorgeous 7B in superb original condition that I just about drool over.

Pictures were pretty fuzzy, but looked to be in good shape.   It was clear that the seller was not a trombone person, and just priced it at some price that they found hard to believe anyone would pay for an "old trombone".  I don't even play bass trombone, however, so it would have been a lark.  Still, it would be really fun to be able to pull that baby out from time to time!

You win some, you lose some.  On the win side, I got my Mt Vernon 36B (red brass bell!) at a similar price; pictures were so bad, that it was not even clear that it was a Mt Vernon, but there was a suspicion, so I took a chance (was in better financial straights at that time).

Best .525 I've ever come across, and it even gets pulled out "in anger" occasionally, which the 6B never would have...

ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Found a Getzen Custom AFR on craigslist. The guy wanted $800. Said it was it great shape.
Now the horn was a little ways away, and the area that it was in I knew a couple of guys that played that exact one.
So, I asked them if they were selling theirs. Anyways, they were not selling theirs.
I was going to meet the seller the next day.
Later the same day I find out one of the guys that I had asked if they were selling, went and bought it since he was in that area.
Uhhh. lesson learned
ttf_anonymous

Ones that got away.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Saw an olds recording in good condition on craigslist for $80. I sent him an email asking for his address and phone number. 2 days later he responds. He said he had an interested buyer coming that night, i couldn't get there because I had work. Sold it that night. DAMN!

Return to “Instruments”