My visit with Roy Lawler

ttf_RJMason

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_RJMason »

Ive played it sackbut style as a joke and it still sounds super punchy.  Kind of amazing.

I was thinking of selling my horn, since I was staying home and doing more studio work on the .525, but I had a string of dates out of town and took it with me and it's really just such a great horn I can't part with it.

Thinking about getting a .022 red brass bell stem with a 7.5 inch .022 red bell...been getting into small bore NY bachs with the smaller bell and alloy in between yellow brass and gold brass...plus I can toss my 8 inch yellow brass and bronze bells on it!

These horns are really my most favorite of the modern trombones being produced...especially if you are a lover of vintage horns and their unique qualities.  Too much character!

AND I can fly in a small jet and it fits in the overhead just fine Image
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

Quote from: RJMason on Feb 20, 2017, 10:00AM
These horns are really my most favorite of the modern trombones being produced...especially if you are a lover of vintage horns and their unique qualities.  Too much character!

===

There ya have it!

===
ttf_TromboneMonkey

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Any of these horns going to be at ATW?
ttf_bicknarnard

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_bicknarnard »

Thanks for the replies! This is what Roy said:

Slide: LS5N .500 bore nickel slide, brass end bow.
Bell stem: LB1-2 yellow brass .020 thick yellow brass neck pipe.
Flare: .020 yellow 8 inch round soldered bead
Extra Flare: red brass 7 3/4 inch .025

It seems to be a fairly light setup, aside from the extra flare. Do you think it would still hold together well at volume?
ttf_ntap

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_ntap »

Quote from: RJMason on Feb 20, 2017, 10:00AM
...been getting into small bore NY bachs with the smaller bell and alloy in between yellow brass and gold brass...plus I can toss my 8 inch yellow brass and bronze bells on it!

Sounds familiar Image
ttf_DaCapo

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_DaCapo »

Quote from: bicknarnard on Feb 20, 2017, 08:18PMThanks for the replies! This is what Roy said:

It seems to be a fairly light setup, aside from the extra flare. Do you think it would still hold together well at volume?

Hey, that's what I have.. yellow stem Is... How do I say it.... Clean. Yeah..
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: bicknarnard on Feb 20, 2017, 08:18PMThanks for the replies! This is what Roy said:

====

An LB1-2 is .022 not .020. Smack dab in the middle. Nice. You're gonna dig it. It'll hold up, not to worry. The light flare with a round soldered bead will project very well. What type of bead on the red? Nickel slide tubes will give a bit of pop and the yellow crook will give the feeling of allowing you to give it more air....and volume. What about the tuning slide crook? Yellow brass like the stem? Tuning slide inners, nickel or yellow brass?

====
ttf_bicknarnard

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_bicknarnard »

You should be Roy's publicity man, Scott! Thanks for all the info.

I'm glad to hear that combination will project well and hold up at loud dynamics. I actually copied that info directly from the email Roy sent me, so I don't actually know about the bead on the red bell or the tuning slide materials. When I hear back from him again, I'll ask Roy what he'd suggest for those bits.

I almost want a 7 1/2 inch bell purely to keep more inline with the Committee aesthetic. Is that bad!?
ttf_slide advantage

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Does Roy have a horn that is along the line of the classic 8" bell 6H?
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: bicknarnard on Feb 21, 2017, 06:17AMYou should be Roy's publicity man, Scott! Thanks for all the info.

I'm glad to hear that combination will project well and hold up at loud dynamics. I actually copied that info directly from the email Roy sent me, so I don't actually know about the bead on the red bell or the tuning slide materials. When I hear back from him again, I'll ask Roy what he'd suggest for those bits.

I almost want a 7 1/2 inch bell purely to keep more inline with the Committee aesthetic. Is that bad!?

Roy is a busy man and has made plenty of typos in his email correspondences with me too. If he said LB1-2 then that is what you'll get (.022). My .022 red flare is the only flare I have and it is 7 1/2" and has the bead that is his standard bead; the edge of the rim is folded back onto itself and rolled flat and soldered. Mine is lovely. I originally had two other flares that I sent back because the 7 1/2" .022 red is the bees knees, baby!! You can easily change your order to a 7 1/2" or order another one like mine, giving you a choice of three flares to have lots of fun with!

After a year with this horn I am continually amazed at how good it is. I've also ordered an 8" .020 yellow flare with a conventional round bead, soldered, with a rim wire.....just because.

So here is my set-up, which is a little different than my original post simply because I was mistaken when I started this thread back in November of 2015. Stem is an LB2-5 (.025)-85/15 red brass. Tuning slide crook is 85/15 red brass and the tuning slide inners are yellow brass. Nickel neck pipe. Hand slide is .500 all nickel. I use a Kanstul W6 lead pipe.

Changes that are beyond what is Roy's normal design are as follows. Roy's counterweight is achieved by making the tuning slide exterior straight leg portion extra thick wall as well as the connecting ferrules for the two upper cross braces. I had him make the straight leg portion exterior a conventional thin wall which lightened up the back end considerably. I had him retain the the thick wall connecting ferrules and he added a beautiful thin strip of rolled brass branch guard that follows the contour of the tuning slide crook. Each end of the branch guard, just above the connecting ferrules, he shaped into an arrowhead. Beautiful!

Roy is the man, no doubt about it. For those of us that have met him you know what I mean. I call him the gentle giant. He is a big man, think NFL linebacker. He is soft spoken, patient, and, well, gentle. It shows in the build quality and superb playability of his horns. There is no bad juju in Roy's final product. Only goodness!

ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: slide advantage on Feb 21, 2017, 06:43AMDoes Roy have a horn that is along the line of the classic 8" bell 6H?

Yes. I'm not sure what Roy would suggest but here is what I would do. An LB1-2 (.022) yellow brass stem with an 8" .022 yellow brass flare with a conventional round bead, soldered, no rim wire. Yellow brass tuning slide crook and inners, yellow brass neck pipe. A .500 yellow brass hand slide with a nickel crook. That should do it.

Another choice would be to have the flare made using his method. The rim rolled flat back onto itself and soldered.
ttf_RJMason

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_RJMason »

I wish you took pics Scott I want to see your horn! wow!

Also today I put my older Big Boy bell section on my .500 slide...perfect fit.

8.5 inch yellow brass bell on this yellow brass slide is INSANE...gonna gig on it tonight. Might have to keep the .525 lawler in the arsenal just in case...
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: RJMason on Feb 21, 2017, 11:39AMI wish you took pics Scott I want to see your horn! wow!

Also today I put my older Big Boy bell section on my .500 slide...perfect fit.

8.5 inch yellow brass bell on this yellow brass slide is INSANE...gonna gig on it tonight. Might have to keep the .525 lawler in the arsenal just in case...
===

That's very cool, man. A .525 is in the pipeline utilizing this latest (newest) design of his along with some other things that I will not reveal until the prototype is in my hands for assessment.

I'm an old schooler in just about every aspect of my life, except this dang computer, so digital pics are not something I do. Such is life.

----
ttf_Sid

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_Sid »

My normal setup is very similar to that (.020 all yellow brass bell stem / tuning slide / gooseneck; .022 7 3/4 red brass flare; .500 nickel slide w/ brass bow) and I have no problems being heard.

I'll parrot everything that Ray, Scott and others have said about Roy and his work. I've picked up my 3B Silversonic exactly twice since August. While I will always have a soft spot for that horn and still enjoy playing it, my Lawler horn is just a much better horn and better for me in how I play. I don't work anywhere near as hard as I used to, and that for me translates to playing more of what I want to play without fighting a horn. I encourage anyone considering taking a trip to visit him and play his horns there with him listening to do so.
ttf_Sid

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_Sid »

Quote from: The Sheriff on Feb 21, 2017, 12:49PMThat's very cool, man. A .525 is in the pipeline utilizing this latest (newest) design of his along with some other things that I will not reveal until the prototype is in my hands for assessment.

That's good news Scott. Will look forward to seeing what comes about in the coming months.
ttf_RJMason

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_RJMason »

This thread inspired me to reach out to Roy again yesterday, as its almost been one year since I received my horn from him.  He's going to loop me into some play testing for the new things as well.

I've been playing the 15 lead pipe...but recently felt like I needed a bit more resistance and have gravitated to the 5 lead pipe and I'm really into it.

I also needed to blast some low E-Flats on a recording session last night...pulled the tuning slide alllll the way out and it sounded SO GOOD.

Other modern makers I've worked with made me horns that wouldn't even sound in tune if I pulled the tuning slide all the way out or all the way in.  His horn is so in tune.

I'll always love my vintage horns, but this horn really is, to me, the modern day answer.
ttf_DaCapo

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_DaCapo »

When I do slur's I feel like a cello player doing that technique they use in the horror films.
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: RJMason on Feb 22, 2017, 12:09PM
I'll always love my vintage horns, but this horn really is, to me, the modern day answer.
===

Me too. Right again!

----
ttf_TromboneMonkey

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: RJMason on Feb 22, 2017, 12:09PM
I've been playing the 15 lead pipe...but recently felt like I needed a bit more resistance and have gravitated to the 5 lead pipe and I'm really into it.

Can those of you who have played the horns speak to the leadpipes a bit more?  Materials, sizes, blowing characteristics, etc.? 

I'm just curious.  I understand fully the value of trying them myself, but I want to hear others' opinions! 
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Feb 23, 2017, 08:37AMCan those of you who have played the horns speak to the leadpipes a bit more?  Materials, sizes, blowing characteristics, etc.? 

I'm just curious.  I understand fully the value of trying them myself, but I want to hear others' opinions! 
===

Venturi sizes are .405-.410-.415. They are either two piece like a King which is Roy's standard or one piece which is what he made for me because that is what I prefer.
                              #5   #10  #15

They are all brass, 7-5/16" in length and as far as I know have the same taper. For the longest time I played a #15 but needed more room so I play a Kanstul W6 and am very happy with that set up. Roy's pipes are nice but I found the overall volume that I can achieve with the Kanstul to be greater. Roy's pipes do respond a tad quicker than the Kanstul, but the immediacy of his horn's design is superb to begin with, so I'm fine with the Kanstul W6.

I find his pipes to have a very pointed feel to the attack and the sound too, but that decreases somewhat as you go up in size from #5 to # 10 to #15.

I hope this helps.

===
ttf_TromboneMonkey

My visit with Roy Lawler

That is excellent info; thank you! Is your Kanstul pipe press fit?
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Feb 23, 2017, 03:44PMThat is excellent info; thank you! Is your Kanstul pipe press fit?
----

Kanstul is pressfit as are the Lawler pipes.

===
ttf_DaCapo

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_DaCapo »

Leadpipes match different with different bells. My red brass 7 3/4 is super nice on the 10 lead pipe. The 8 inch bronze with the W6 Kanstul.  Image Image Image
ttf_anonymous

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi, first-time poster but (very) long-time player here (playing professionally for 40 years...)

I ordered a horn from Roy Lawler first week of January. He was wrapping up his final trumpet orders so lead time was longer than normal.

My last long-term horn was a Rath R3 .525 with nickel silver bell that I played for about 10 years. Fantastic horn (which I'll be selling here if I love the Lawler), but too big for the musical context I mostly play in now. For that reason for the last year I've been playing  my old Bach 12 I bought new in 1975 - great horn though hoping I like the Lawler better.

After taking to Roy for well over an hour, at his recommendation I ordered  a .22 red brass stem, .500 nickel outer slide with brass bow, a 7.5" .22 red brass flare, and a 7.75" .25 yellow brass flare.

I sure hope I love it, but these things already impress me:

- I can return it for full refund.

- The cost is a good $1,000 less than a small-bore horn from Shires or Rath etc. And this includes 2 flares, and 2 cases! (He was throwing in both the flat hard case and the gig bag when I ordered) This is a remarkable value. Between that and the time he takes consulting with you over the materials choices, it gives the impression that he is in it for love and not the money.

- it's a one-man shop

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this! Should be within the next few weeks...
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: dembonesMA on Feb 24, 2017, 10:48AMHi, first-time poster but (very) long-time player here (playing professionally for 40 years...)

I ordered a horn from Roy Lawler first week of January. He was wrapping up his final trumpet orders so lead time was longer than normal.

My last long-term horn was a Rath R3 .525 with nickel silver bell that I played for about 10 years. Fantastic horn (which I'll be selling here if I love the Lawler), but too big for the musical context I mostly play in now. For that reason for the last year I've been playing  my old Bach 12 I bought new in 1975 - great horn though hoping I like the Lawler better.

After taking to Roy for well over an hour, at his recommendation I ordered  a .22 red brass stem, .500 nickel outer slide with brass bow, a 7.5" .22 red brass flare, and a 7.75" .25 yellow brass flare.

I sure hope I love it, but these things already impress me:

- I can return it for full refund.

- The cost is a good $1,000 less than a small-bore horn from Shires or Rath etc. And this includes 2 flares, and 2 cases! (He was throwing in both the flat hard case and the gig bag when I ordered) This is a remarkable value. Between that and the time he takes consulting with you over the materials choices, it gives the impression that he is in it for love and not the money.

- it's a one-man shop

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this! Should be within the next few weeks...
===

Nice! I hope you love it too. It will be very different from your Bach. Please take the time to adjust to the blow. I suggest easing off a bit. Yes, Roy loves what he is doing and is as fair a man as you will ever come across.

----
ttf_DaCapo

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_DaCapo »

Quote from: DaCapo on Feb 23, 2017, 06:42PMLeadpipes match different with different bells. My red brass 7 3/4 is super nice on the 10 lead pipe. The 8 inch bronze with the W6 Kanstul.  Image Image Image
The 10 just works overall the best for me actually, both flares...
ttf_Bach16G

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_Bach16G »

I thought I would check in on this thread to share my experiences so far... I posted earlier about my Lawler - received late Sept 2016 (85/15 .25 stem, .500 all nickel slide, .22 7.75" red bell, .25 8" yellow bell, .25 8" bronze bell - all soldered rounded bead)

I initially had some difficulty finding the right balance of mouthpiece and leadpipe - and after MANY different trials I think I have found the best solution that works for me.

Mouthpiece - I am now using several Doug Elliott configurations, and they ALL seem to work really well with the Lawler depending on the playing situation:
  • [li]LT100/C+/D3 (most used)[/li][li]LT100/D/D3[/li][li]LT100/C/C3[/li]
Leadpipe - after trying several options, I have settled on the Kanstul H6. I also like the W6, but I am finding the best results for me with the H6. Roy's pipes are good as well - I have a #5 and #10.

The more I play, the more I appreciate the flexibility of intervals and the stability of pitch and intonation. My attacks feel more secure at all dynamics - bigger "targets" it seems to me. I feel much more at ease working through the middle to upper registers - much smoother for me without the "wall" I always fight on my Bach 16 (a good playing Bach except for the obstinate upper register at times.) I like all three bells in different situations - I love the options! I'm still experimenting with all three to see what I prefer for different situations.

The slide has been great! Relatively short break-in time - and I did lots of careful cleaning at first - it now has the best action of any slide I have ever used. Trombotine (very lightly applied) has given me the best results so far.

One question/issue for others with a current Lawler - do you find the distance between the slide and bell (especially with an 8" flare) closer than other instruments you play? I had to adjust my right hand position somewhat to avoid bumping the bell as I play - I've adjusted now and it only happens rarely.

Also - Roy has posted his recommended set-up on his website - he endorses an all yellow brass configuration there. I'm very happy with my current set-up... but I was just curious if others have come across this on his site.

Steve
ttf_Duffle

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_Duffle »

To those of you who own or have tried the Lawler small bores, which combination of parts most matches the sound and feel of a vintage 6H, not the heavy belled '50's version but the lighter weight ones  from the '60''s..... I don't mean the specs but how they play?....
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: Duffle on May 11, 2017, 12:42PMTo those of you who own or have tried the Lawler small bores, which combination of parts most matches the sound and feel of a vintage 6H, not the heavy belled '50's version but the lighter weight ones  from the '60''s..... I don't mean the specs but how they play?....
===

See my reply #160. Same stuff but with an .020 yellow brass bell. You can get close to the sound and feel of a vintage 6H, but obviously, it's a Lawler and has it's own characteristics that I much prefer over any 6H I have ever played.

----
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: Bach16G on May 11, 2017, 10:38AMI thought I would check in on this thread to share my experiences so far... I posted earlier about my Lawler - received late Sept 2016 (85/15 .25 stem, .500 all nickel slide, .22 7.75" red bell, .25 8" yellow bell, .25 8" bronze bell - all soldered rounded bead)

I initially had some difficulty finding the right balance of mouthpiece and leadpipe - and after MANY different trials I think I have found the best solution that works for me.

Mouthpiece - I am now using several Doug Elliott configurations, and they ALL seem to work really well with the Lawler depending on the playing situation:
  • [li]LT100/C+/D3 (most used)[/li][li]LT100/D/D3[/li][li]LT100/C/C3[/li]
Leadpipe - after trying several options, I have settled on the Kanstul H6. I also like the W6, but I am finding the best results for me with the H6. Roy's pipes are good as well - I have a #5 and #10.

The more I play, the more I appreciate the flexibility of intervals and the stability of pitch and intonation. My attacks feel more secure at all dynamics - bigger "targets" it seems to me. I feel much more at ease working through the middle to upper registers - much smoother for me without the "wall" I always fight on my Bach 16 (a good playing Bach except for the obstinate upper register at times.) I like all three bells in different situations - I love the options! I'm still experimenting with all three to see what I prefer for different situations.

The slide has been great! Relatively short break-in time - and I did lots of careful cleaning at first - it now has the best action of any slide I have ever used. Trombotine (very lightly applied) has given me the best results so far.

One question/issue for others with a current Lawler - do you find the distance between the slide and bell (especially with an 8" flare) closer than other instruments you play? I had to adjust my right hand position somewhat to avoid bumping the bell as I play - I've adjusted now and it only happens rarely.

Also - Roy has posted his recommended set-up on his website - he endorses an all yellow brass configuration there. I'm very happy with my current set-up... but I was just curious if others have come across this on his site.

Steve
----

Nice report, thanks. I don't have an 8" bell flare so I can't speak to the bumping the bell situation you speak of. But you've adjusted, so...

===
ttf_DaveAshley

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

I definitely have noticed the distance thing with the 8 inch bell - Really only when I need to trim my fingernails!  Image

Right now, I'm favoring the 8 in. bronze bell, believe it or not.  I did a 5-month cruise contract (December 7 to April 30), and only brought my 8 in yellow .022 and unsoldered 7.5 yellow .022 flares.  After getting adjusted to the horn, I found those to be a little light in the end. BUT, I only discovered this after I got home to my bronze flare (which was the one I settled on when I went to Roy's shop - funny how that works, eh?).  Anyway, I've also picked up a Kanstul 'S' leadpipe, which is working VERY well, though I'm still swapping off with the H6.  I'm on another cruise gig now (Queen Mary 2 dance band) and I'm quite happy with my current setup (.025 all yellow stem section with 8 in. .025 bronze flare, all nickel .500 slide, Kanstul S & H6 leadipes and a very early Bach New York 11C mouthpiece). I might have Roy put a brass crook on my slide this summer. I mentioned earlier in this thread when I first visited the shop that I found the vibrato to be more pronounced on the brass than the nickel. I think that'd be a good tweak for me.

I'm hoping to meet up soon with Alex Jeun, another Lawler player from NYC, to have a little Lawler party.  I'd like to try his all-brass slide to see if that might be a direction I want to go. He's ordered a carbon fibre outer slide from Butler as well! Who knows? Might do that too....  Image

All in all, I have been thrilled with my horn.  Simply put, I can do things on it that I haven't been able to do on my other horns.  Adjusting to it has taught me to be a more efficient player while at the same time giving me an added level of confidence that what is coming out of the bell is more & more musical.   

Oh, and P.S.  I sent my unsoldered-rim 7.5 yellow .022 to Kanstul for silver plating. Mostly just for kicks, but I think it'll be a nice, zingy contrast to the others I have. And I betcha it'll look cool, too!  Image
ttf_sabutin

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: DaveAshley on Yesterday at 07:58 AM
---snip---

Dave...

When you're going to meet Alex, let me know. I work with him a lot and he sounds even better now that he's playing the Lawler. I am interested in the horns. We work together but I have never had a chance to actually play his Lawler stuff because I don't like to confuse my chops on a gig. I'd like to join you.

Later...

Sam

P.S. Alex has all of my contact info.
ttf_DaveAshley

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Quote from: sabutin on Yesterday at 08:48 AMWhen you're going to meet Alex, let me know. I work with him a lot and he sounds even better now that he's playing the Lawler. I am interested in the horns. We work together but I have never had a chance to actually play his Lawler stuff because I don't like to confuse my chops on a gig. I'd like to join you.
I'm doing the Southampton - New York run on the Queen Mary 2, and I have just a few visits to NY.  We'll be at Red Hook, Brooklyn on Monday, but we have a coast guard inspection/drill and my shore time will be very limited. I'm looking at having Alex visit on Wed. May 31st aboard the ship.  I won't be able to get off the ship that day (port manning duty), but I can have up to four visitors. You can eat for free, and we should be able to get a nice big room to play in. Get in touch with Alex -- I'll need passport info and address, but you can pool that with Alex.
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: sabutin on May 12, 2017, 08:48AM

We work together but I have never had a chance to actually play his Lawler stuff because I don't like to confuse my chops on a gig. I'd like to join you.

Later...

Sam

That made me laugh. As great a player as you are Sam, I find it hard to believe that your chops would get confused! Seriously though, I know what you mean, but I suspect they'd be delightfully confused, if only for a while. Image
ttf_sabutin

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: The Sheriff on May 13, 2017, 06:13AMThat made me laugh. As great a player as you are Sam, I find it hard to believe that your chops would get confused! Seriously though, I know what you mean, but I suspect they'd be delightfully confused, if only for a while. Image

You have no idea...

It's the doubling thing, I think. I play so many rims on a regular basis...from 12C right on down to large tuba...that unless I am playing the same m'pce and performing the same general function (Idiomatically and in terms of volumes and ranges) day after day after day, whatever my balance may be on a gig can be drastically confused by messing around with other m'pces. I save that for the occasional no-pressure rehearsal and of course practicing at home.

So it goes...

S.
ttf_Sid

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_Sid »

Quote from: Bach16G on May 11, 2017, 10:38AMOne question/issue for others with a current Lawler - do you find the distance between the slide and bell (especially with an 8" flare) closer than other instruments you play? I had to adjust my right hand position somewhat to avoid bumping the bell as I play - I've adjusted now and it only happens rarely.

Regarding the distance from the bell and slide - yes - I had to learn to adjust my right hand grip ever so slightly. I figured he uses the smaller flares when measuring the gap between the flare rim and slide. Not a big deal really, just something to get used to.

And as far as the all brass setup, I liked it for the complete bell section over having a nickel gooseneck. Something about it spoke more for me than the other.
ttf_RJMason

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_RJMason »

Talked to Alex last week too...I still have my Lawler which I love, but I've been rocking the Wayne Andre conn 6H bell I have with a new Butler carbon fiber slide and the Lawler 15 leadpipe...maybe everyone can try everything out! Think I'll be home May 31st if you end up having an extra visitor slot.

I'm touring with a pop country band out of Nashville this summer so hoping to take a few trips to Roy's shop and try out some new stuff...I really want him to put an f Attachment on a .508 horn for me.... Image)))

-Ray

ttf_Bach16G

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_Bach16G »

One minor question - what number is stamped on the bottom of your slide hand grip? Mine is 16.

Not sure what the significance is for this number?

Just curious...
ttf_Sid

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_Sid »

Quote from: RJMason on May 15, 2017, 03:32PMI'm touring with a pop country band out of Nashville this summer so hoping to take a few trips to Roy's shop and try out some new stuff...I really want him to put an f Attachment on a .508 horn for me.... Image)))

Hoping for a .525 with an F attachment myself. Even requested it to Roy and all that was said was that he was looking into it. Would love to see that come to fruition one day.
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: Sid on May 16, 2017, 08:16AMHoping for a .525 with an F attachment myself. Even requested it to Roy and all that was said was that he was looking into it. Would love to see that come to fruition one day.
===

It will. Hang in there.

----
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: Bach16G on May 16, 2017, 04:57AMOne minor question - what number is stamped on the bottom of your slide hand grip? Mine is 16.

Not sure what the significance is for this number?

Just curious...
-----

Mine is stamped 16 too. I don't know what it means. Probably a parts numbering system that Roy uses.

====
ttf_DaveAshley

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Mine is also stamped '16'  Image I started to think maybe it stands for the year it was built, but didn't you get yours in 2015, Scott?

I switched to the gold 7 3/4 for one set last night.  No go.  Went back to the bronze.  It sounds killer with the tenor sax player next to me. Gutsy & punchy, yet smooth and creamy when I need it to be.
I'm sticking mostly with the Kanstul S pipe as well.  I need to try the W6 at some point.  Apparently it's the same size venturi, just a different placement. (Maybe a different length, too?). I do find some leadpipes (including the S)  difficult to get in and out of the slide. I use a wrench, and it's eating up the knurling on the ring.

Ray, I should be able to get you on the ship on the 31st. Talk to Alex about it - He knows what information I need to put in the request.  I'll need that by the 27th at the very latest.  I can't guarantee 100% we'll have an open room the whole time, but we should be able to find a spot. It's one thing to have a chat, it's another thing to have three or four strong trombone players all going to town at once!
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: DaveAshley on May 16, 2017, 04:34PMMine is also stamped '16'  Image I started to think maybe it stands for the year it was built, but didn't you get yours in 2015, Scott?

I switched to the gold 7 3/4 for one set last night.  No go.  Went back to the bronze.  It sounds killer with the tenor sax player next to me. Gutsy & punchy, yet smooth and creamy when I need it to be.
I'm sticking mostly with the Kanstul S pipe as well.  I need to try the W6 at some point.  Apparently it's the same size venturi, just a different placement. (Maybe a different length, too?). I do find some leadpipes (including the S)  difficult to get in and out of the slide. I use a wrench, and it's eating up the knurling on the ring.

-------

He already uses a date stamp for the serial number so I kind of doubt it, but I'll ask him next time I speak with him. I used the "S" pipe in my Kanstul 1606 until I tried the "H6" and that's what I use in it all of the time, though I rarely play the Kanstul anymore. Both the "S" and "H6" were too tight for me in my Lawler so that's how I settled on the "W6" and am very satisfied with that set-up. And yes, the "W6" is a tad shorter than the "S".

I also sent my huge collection of leadpipes to Merlin Grady, repairman extraordinaire, and had him straighten all of them on the lathe. It makes a difference, because there is no chance of torquing the tube and throwing the alignment off. I'd suggest removing a bit of material so the pipe isn't so tight.

=====
ttf_RJMason

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_RJMason »

I've been in Nashville a lot working lately, so yesterday with a day off I finally made it to Roy's shop and met the man in person! Wow. He is truly a humble, kind, thoughtful person and his wife Tysh is so great.  I had a great couple of hours with them!

First of all it's clear that he is truly a master craftman! His shop is beautiful and unpretentious. It is about hand made quality over quantity or marketing scheme. He really is doing something else...he repaired my yellow brass flare for me which came out of alignment. He didn't have that many demos to try as everything he made is shipping out this week and he's going on vacation...but I was able to try a few variations.

I've been playing on 8 inch bells exclusively the last four years and had asked Roy to make me an 8 inch red brass with a standard beaded rim like a Bach would have. He made that for me and I loved it...but he also suggested I try a 7.5 inch Red Brass with the Bach rim he also made that week...I was skeptical but...

Just like Sheriff's flare, I was blown away. It works so well with my stem...it's become my main bell...almost like a Mt Vernon gold brass bell with a lot more projection and some bite...I'm super happy.

F Attachment horns are in development!

I'll be working with him on a small bore horn with F Attachment. I think with the right flare choice we can get something that far surpasses the mythical Williams Model 7s and 9s...definitely leagues ahead and a versatile commercial horn!!!

Keep y'all posted!

-RJM

ttf_DaveAshley

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

What did Roy think of the carbon fiber slide? I've ordered mine. I haven't tried one yet, but you and Alex seem pretty happy.

Perhaps this could be offered as an option some time in the future?  Image
ttf_dembonesMA

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_dembonesMA »

Has anyone had a Butler carbon fiber outer slide made for their Lawler? If so, did the inner slide braces have to be re-soldered to fit, as Dave Butler indicates? I'm interested in the carbon slide, but don't think I want to modify the inner slide assembly.

I've had my Lawler now for three months and am really loving it. Not above doing some tweaking however.

Cheers,
Don Mikkelsen
ttf_RJMason

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_RJMason »

My Butler Slide made for my Conn set up fits on the lawler .500 perfectly but is a few inches longer...so even with the tuning slide in all the way it still plays a bit under pitch...I used it on a gig last night and it was great but some pitch issues.

Our friend Alex had a Butler outer slide made for his Lawler and he is enjoying it apparently.

Roy liked the idea of it and didn't notice much of a difference in the sound of his horn. Roy has lightened the design of his slides a bit, and compared to normal slides they are fast and light, brass one is comparative to a nickel Bach slide, but they are still heavy compared to Butler's slides.

I will be ordering an outer slide for my Lawler which will be especially helpful given its durability while traveling.

I doubt a collaboration between the two is possible but both Roy and David are making superior products.

I must say my horn looks like a science project...carbon fiber slide nickel neck pipe yellow brass stem and red brass flare...hahabut it's amazing!!!
ttf_DaveAshley

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Don,
I'm quite certain that Roy's .500 slides are all exactly the same.  Alex Jeun's brass outer slide fit right onto my inner slide, and mine to his.  Alex has his Butler outer slide already, and I've ordered one using his measurements.  If you want one, just tell David to use Alex's measurements, but be sure to send a picture of your slide lock in relation to the slide crossbar/grip.  This was the only difference in our outer slides. (his was slightly lower)

I'm excited to get mine!

And Ray, mine will look like a science project too!  I should have my newly silver-plated 7.5 flare back from Kanstul soon! So - black slide, brushed brass bell section and silver flare! Ka-razyyyy!  Image
ttf_dembonesMA

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_dembonesMA »

Thanks for the info, Dave!

Don
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: RJMason on Jun 09, 2017, 06:07PMI've been in Nashville a lot working lately, so yesterday with a day off I finally made it to Roy's shop and met the man in person! Wow. He is truly a humble, kind, thoughtful person and his wife Tysh is so great.  I had a great couple of hours with them!

First of all it's clear that he is truly a master craftman! His shop is beautiful and unpretentious. It is about hand made quality over quantity or marketing scheme. He really is doing something else...he repaired my yellow brass flare for me which came out of alignment. He didn't have that many demos to try as everything he made is shipping out this week and he's going on vacation...but I was able to try a few variations.

I've been playing on 8 inch bells exclusively the last four years and had asked Roy to make me an 8 inch red brass with a standard beaded rim like a Bach would have. He made that for me and I loved it...but he also suggested I try a 7.5 inch Red Brass with the Bach rim he also made that week...I was skeptical but...

Just like Sheriff's flare, I was blown away. It works so well with my stem...it's become my main bell...almost like a Mt Vernon gold brass bell with a lot more projection and some bite...I'm super happy.

F Attachment horns are in development!

I'll be working with him on a small bore horn with F Attachment. I think with the right flare choice we can get something that far surpasses the mythical Williams Model 7s and 9s...definitely leagues ahead and a versatile commercial horn!!!

Keep y'all posted!

-RJM

===

I'm glad you had a chance to meet Roy and Tysh; they're the best! Roy is on a roll and I'm anxious to try his .525 f-att when it's ready. He is making me a lightweight brass slide with nickel crook. I'm glad he's offering lighter tubes now as an option. Glad you like your new 7.5" flare!

----

Return to “Instruments”