Bass trombone practice mute that fits in the case with best intonation and blow?

ttf_SethMatrix

Bass trombone practice mute that fits in the case with best intonation and blow?

Post by ttf_SethMatrix »

Any ideas on which practice mute has the best intonation, blow, and fits in the case?

Has anyone tried to put a bremner shh bass mute in a marcus bonna? My horn can leave about an inch of room between the bell and the case if I try.

Thanks everyone
ttf_kbiggs

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

I have used my Best Brass for 7 or 8 years now. It fits well in the case. Intonation is good once you pull the tuning slide out--it's sharp overall but fairly consistent.

I have a SofTone mute which works well as a bucket mute, but not a very effective practice mute. Intonation and stability, for me, are squirelly esp. in the upper and lower register.

I was looking at the new Wick practice mutes and wondering how they play.
ttf_Schultz

Post by ttf_Schultz »

I have two of these. One for tenor, one for bass. Very happy!

http://okuramute.com

I think the Horn Guys distributes them in the USA....
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I use the Shhhmute, although I wish Yamaha made a Silent Brass for bass.
ttf_kbiggs

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Aug 09, 2017, 12:49AMI use the Shhhmute, although I wish Yamaha made a Silent Brass for bass.

My old Silent Brass fits my Bach 50 bass. Do you have a newer one? Is it a different shape and size?

Quote from: Schultz on Aug 09, 2017, 12:06AMI have two of these. One for tenor, one for bass. Very happy!

http://okuramute.com

I think the Horn Guys distributes them in the USA....

Yes indeed they do!
https://www.hornguys.com/collections/bass-trombone-practice-mutes/products/okura-practice-mute-for-bass-trombone
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: kbiggs on Aug 09, 2017, 07:06AMMy old Silent Brass fits my Bach 50 bass. Do you have a newer one? Is it a different shape and size?

The only silent brass that fits bass is the older one which sticks out of the bell.  The newer version only fits tenor and does not extend past the bell.
ttf_conn88plyr

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

Quote from: SethMatrix on Aug 08, 2017, 04:45PMAny ideas on which practice mute has the best intonation, blow, and fits in the case?

Has anyone tried to put a bremner shh bass mute in a marcus bonna? My horn can leave about an inch of room between the bell and the case if I try.
The Sshhmute would be a close fit given the dimensions described; a possibility but I would try before I buy.  I also like the Liberty practice mute from Protec; it is patterned after one of the Best Brass mutes and is a good balance of cost, size and playability.  It's not as open and the intonation isn't quite as good as the Sshhmute or Silent Brass but certainly has the portability...

ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

The original cone-shaped Bremner Shhh - which is really the only practice mute I can stand using - fits in my MB case inside the bell. If the valve tubing of my horn were any longer it wouldn't.

I also like the blow and the pitch of the original Shhh better than the new design. The new one stays in the bell better, but I find if I put a rubber band or two around the foam of the old one it stays in the bell.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

The original cone-shaped Bremner Shhh - which is really the only practice mute I can stand using - fits in my MB case inside the bell. If the valve tubing of my horn were any longer it wouldn't.

I also like the blow and the pitch of the original Shhh better than the new design. The new one stays in the bell better, but I find if I put a rubber band or two around the foam of the old one it stays in the bell.

Return to “Accessories”