Hand grip for wrist pain

ttf_anonymous

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I recently switched to bass trombone and I am having considerable pain mostly in my left wrist, as well as my elbow and arm to a lesser degree. What are some reasonably priced hand grips that would help reduce this pain? I am a college student and I play for at least 2 hours everyday, so I need to find something that will help quickly.  Thanks in advance.
ttf_BackBone

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_BackBone »

Neotech grip. Will work wonders!! Image

Trombone Grip™ https://neotechstraps.com/trombone-grip.html
ttf_kbiggs

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

There are a lot of different grip aides available. NeoTech, the ErgoBone, Bullet Brace, etc. Newell Sheridan also sells a brace: http://www.sheridanbrass.com/Sheridan_Brass/Home.html

The idea of all these devices is to relieve the stress put on the third and fourth fingers of the left hand. Physical therapy and NSAIDs like ibuprofen or naproxen can help with the pain and inflammation.

Search here on TTF for reviews on various devices. Different people get different results with the different devices.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

My vote is for the Sheridan Get-a-Grip. It’s not for everyone. It needs to be bent to fit your horn and your hand, but it only bends so much and therefore doesn’t bend to suit everyone perfectly. For me it lets me hold a variety of out of balance trombones as if they weigh as much as any smallbore.

I would also recommend working out and doing stretches so you don’t cause any damage to yourself. If you’re already in shape then maybe change your grip style. I hold just about every trombone slightly differently according to the cork barrel shape, positions of the braces, balance point, and the width of the slide.
ttf_Matt K

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Neotech works well and is easily the cheapest solution.  I recommend trying it first before using other more expensive ones. I have one on all o fmy horns, even the straight ones.
ttf_Dennis Clason

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_Dennis Clason »

Quote from: Bjaorange on Sep 24, 2017, 03:19PMI recently switched to bass trombone and I am having considerable pain mostly in my left wrist, as well as my elbow and arm to a lesser degree. What are some reasonably priced hand grips that would help reduce this pain? I am a college student and I play for at least 2 hours everyday, so I need to find something that will help quickly.  Thanks in advance.

A grip might help, and a grip might not help.

Consider that it might be the soft machine:

https://www.amazon.com/Trombone-Players-Survival-Guide/dp/1935510584/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1506377460&sr=8-15&keywords=Allan+Kaplan
ttf_M.R.Tenor

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_M.R.Tenor »

The Neotech is even on sale at Dillon Music right now. Just picked mine up for $28 shipped.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-11580-neotech-trombone-grip.aspx
ttf_hyperbolica

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I have a Neotech, a clampon Greenhoe like brace, the Sheridan and the Ergobone. I owned a Rath at one point. The Rath is expensive, heavy, complicated, doesn't fit in a case, and rather medieval looking.  The Sheridan is the one I use the most. The problem with the Neotech is that it puts your hand too far from the second lever. If you have long fingers it might work ok. I don't like the angled bar  (Greenhoe like device) because it gouges into my hand, and needs tools to remove. The Ergobone is the most complete solution, but it really only mounts to one horn at a time, its a little unwieldy, and not easily removable. The Sheridan needs some "adjustment", which in this case means bending aluminum. I'm ok with that, and use it for multiple horns. In the end, price doesn't matter if you actually use it.
ttf_M.R.Tenor

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_M.R.Tenor »

ttf_SilverBone

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: M.R.Tenor on Sep 25, 2017, 03:35PMHow is the trombone "Axe handle"?

https://www.hornguys.com/products/instrument-innovations-trombone-axe-handle

Works terrific for me - I have two of them on different horns.

If you work with Mike at Instrument Innovations, he makes sure you are happy with your Ax Handle.  There are several different parts that can be swapped in/out.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Sep 24, 2017, 09:35PMMy vote is for the Sheridan Get-a-Grip.

+1  Image
Works great for my Benge 290.
ttf_FlamingRain

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

I used a Sheridan Get-A-Grip for a while on my Edwards Alessi. It worked okay to eliminate the wrist pain, but it always felt weird that the horn was suspended from my wrist. I took it off, eventually got an Ax Handle, and now I just have a counterweight. The horn is front-heavy and that solves most of my wrist problems.
ttf_Bjaorange

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_Bjaorange »

Thanks everyone, I ordered the Neotech strap because it's the cheapest. We'll see how well it solves the problem.
ttf_Bjaorange

Hand grip for wrist pain

Post by ttf_Bjaorange »

Thanks everyone, I ordered the Neotech strap because it's the cheapest. We'll see how well it solves the problem.

Return to “Accessories”